Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Corzo
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the game and so far and I am very impressed...the advanced rules are a must and some more tweaking is in order but overall a great game....I just wanted to make sure that we were playing correctly...
If I have more than one ally, that means my character can attack in one phase and my allies can attack in the other phases?? Or to put it another way...Can I attack in every phase if I have enough allies or can my character attack in one phase and only one ally in another?
I hope my question is clear and thanks....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goldman
United States
Freeville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:How many attacks(with allies)??
Blustar (#39585),

Hey Alexander,

Yep, you have it right. If you have enough allies, you can attack in more than one phase.

--Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goldman
United States
Freeville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
. . . and use them to let you get an attack in each phase. (To be more clear.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pantera
Sweden
flag msg tools
Also, the Hero attack is optional. In an extreme example, if you have three allies, you can let them attack three times (ranged, melee and magic) and have your Hero stand back and watch. That isn't likely though, but possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ok here an additional question.
let's say you have one ally and he can attack in phase 3 melee with a +3 or something. The creature your attacking has a 12/1 skill/wound you roll a 8 +3 = 11 the ally missed
Question? does the damage go to the hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
serpents1 (#40043),

The damage goes to the ally for the failed attack. I believe your hero must still defend a separate attack from the challenge in the same phase.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Octavian (#41549),

Okay...so I misread the rules a touch.

I think my misreading would make an interesting variant, however, and make allies a less powerful but still useful addition.

Basically, Allies contribute any special abilities and can lend extra attacks during a phase, but the Hero must still defend in any phase of combat that he doesn't attack in.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian (#41779),

I don't believe that. If an ally attacks in a given phase, the hero is not involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Duval
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
ekted (#42851),
When attacking either your hero or an allie can make the attack. The allie or hero assigned to attack takes any damage from the attack.
When you defend you always use the heroes stats and the hero always takes the wounds.

So as in the above example if you have 3 allies you can have them attack in all the rounds with them.

I had this situation happen in a game recently, I had 3 allies and used them to help destroy a dragon. One of my allies died in the second round so i used the remaining 2 to attack in the hard rounds and my hero attacked in the round that was left. When i lost another allie i was forced to defend in one of the rounds with my hero, I attacked with an allie in one and attacked in the final round i attacked with my hero. I could not defend with an allie only attack.

Sacrifice those allies keep your hero safe.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xasher (#43958),

I agree. We are saying the same thing. I was replying to this:

Basically, Allies contribute any special abilities and can lend extra attacks during a phase.

Which is incorrect, unless I'm misreading what he wrote. Allies do not lend extra attacks during a phase. Either the Ally himself attacks, or the hero attacks, or the hero defends. If the hero attacks or defends, none of the Ally's combat abilities (a/b c/d e/f) are in play. Only special abilities printed on the Ally card have the potential of affecting a phase where the Ally does not attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Turner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, if I have three allies (one for each attack phase), they can make my attacks for me? And I don't have to defend a single time?

What if I have three allies, all really good at range. The rulebook says (if I remember correctly) that each ally may attack once per round. Does that mean that all three ranged allies may attack in a single ranged phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Silopolis (#45129),

If you have 3 allies, you can use them all during a single turn for ranged, melee, and magic respectively. If they have 0 damage in the type of attack you are using them for, then they basically become fodder. They keep your hero from having to risk damage.

So in your case if you had 3 allies with 3/1 2/0 1/0, and used them to cover all 3 phases, the best you could hope for is to score 1 wound during the ranged attack, and successfully defend with the other 2 during the melee and magic phases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Turner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted (#45133),

Okay. But does that mean I can't use three allies in a single phase? If I had the allies you mentioned, I cannot have them all attack ranged?

This would seem to go against the rules, which I remember state that each ally may attack in one phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Silopolis (#45238),

Each ally may attack in ONLY one phase. he creature you are fighting attacks in all phases (but usuaully does 0 wounds in some). You must decide who (hero or ally) will attack during each, and each can only attack once. If no one attacks (or there's no one left to attack), the hero must defend (same as an attack role, but the hero can cause no wounds).

If it's still unclear, I could give you a detailed example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Turner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted (#45275),

Yes, I understand that each ally may only attack once. What I'm looking for is whether or not EVERY ally you have may attack, or if you can only attack with one ally per phase.

An example:
I have six allies. For the sake of argument, three of them have 5/2 ranged and 1/1 melee and magic stats, while the others have more favorable melee or magic stats. Obviously I want to use each ally in the phase for which he or she is best suited.

Can I, when combat begins, say, "These three allies attack in the Ranged phase, these two allies will attack in Melee, and I and the final ally will attack in Magic"?

Unless I'm missing a rule that limits the amount of allies you can have, there's no rule I could find that specifically outlaws this sort of fight.

THAT's my question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Silopolis (#45322),

From the rulebook:

Combat

Your hero and each of your allies may attack once per round. (This is misleading and further qualified later)

Phase 2: Ranged

If you attack: Choose your hero or one of your allies to be the attacker...
If you defend: Your hero must defend...

Phase 3: Melee

Phase 4: Magic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Turner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted (#45336),

I noticed that seconds after I posted. That would seem to lend weight to the idea that only one character in a party may attack in a single phase. Clarification in the FAQ would be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Vandenheuvel
Belgium
Winksele
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes I agree.. this isn't very clear. A more detailled example would be useful in the faq or expanded rules. I was also assuming that allies could attack once but some of them could do it in the same phase. Obviously I was wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.