Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Mesnar
United States
Valencia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello,

My game group is about to play Viticulture very soon. I own the Essential Edition as well as Tuscany. None of us have played this game before and with so many options, I was hoping someone may be able to suggest to me the best way for the group to play the game if we are to add anything from Tuscany to it or play it straight from the Essential Edition first. Obviously we don't want to confuse anyone, but we have some new comers and we ourselves are not the "veteran" gamers ourselves yet, but looking for the pros out there to suggest the best starting gaming experience for this.

Thank you so much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
V:EE is a great game on its own.
Play it until you start to see flaws (there are a few) or want to shake the game up a bit. Then add in the Tuscany map. Play it some more then add in the other modules as they appeal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vallina
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
We're Team Rocket, circling Earth all day and night!
badge
To denounce the goodness of truth and love!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think playing only with the Tuscany board from Tuscany might be the best option.

That board is far superior to the original one, IMO.

but if you want the simplest option, just use Viticulture.
I wouldn't recommend adding in the structures or any other modules other than what's included in Viticulture essential edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly, highly recommend only playing with Viticulture first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny P
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Aaron, great game to play, it remains a game my group plays regularly. I’d encourage you to start with the Tuscany board, but use the side that doesn’t have structures. They are orange’ish in color, small cards, placed on the board at the end after the winter, blue, visitor cards. Use the side that does not have them.

The game rounds are broken down into years with each year having four seasons. Each player will take an action in each season. Both the base game board and Tuscany have players performing actions in each season, spring, summer, fall, and winter. Tuscany makes the spring and fall actions more distinct and consistent, arguably more enjoyable.

Note I’m intentionally not giving a detailed Tuscany board vs base game board breakdown. Our group started with the base game board, one play, then played again with the Tuscany and immediately the response was why didn’t we start with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Based on your group description I'd recommend starting with just the regular V: EE stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with V:EE first. Play a few times until everyone is comfortable with the game (and perhaps it's getting a little stale). Then add in T:EE to shake things up and add new options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that playing just Viticulture: EE first is the best way to go for people who are new to the game, unless one person is able to teach and explain all the differences with Tuscany. Once you have the flow of the base game down, switch over to Tuscany, using all the extra modules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Mesnar
United States
Valencia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wow thank you everyone!!! Apparently I shared this with my friends and they chose tonight to play it, so I will update you all soon on how it went. Thanks again all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
I highly, highly recommend only playing with Viticulture first.

I second this... I am still adding in all the Tuscany modules but it was a lot easier on me to learn Tuscany a bit at a time. You look back and are amazed at how far you have come!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.