Subject: General Comment rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BGG Admin
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
Does anyone know what happened to Alfred Leonardi and the other designers of this game? The other books that were mentioned, for this series, must've at least in print as conceptual because several pages point toward the other books. I wonder what the chances of them being printed are if the designers tried to get them published?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
Bounty Hunter was the first 'first person-shooter' game, along with Ace of Aces & Lost Worlds!!
I was at the Origens / GenCon (combined) game convention in 1988 in Milwaukee, and I had a great time there. I met J.D. Webster, designer of Air Superiority, and other designers, including Alfred Leonardi. I had a nice conversation with him about Nova and their games, including Bounty Hunter. He said that a follow-on game (playable with Shootout at the Saloon or own its own) had been designed, tested and the final proof mailed to the printer, but he said that the artwork got lost in the mail and could not be recovered. He said it had been such an exhausting job and cost enough money to make recreating the new books too much effort and expense, and he expressed great regret at this.

This was all before computer graphics software, scanning, and other commonly used techniques and processes we take for granted today were widely available, everything was done by hand, crude photocopying, etc. Such things would not happen as easily today, although hard drives still crash, files get corrupted, and other disasters occur. Still, this was a loss for a promising and different concept - as far as I can tell, Bounty Hunter, the hand-to-hand Lost Worlds and even Ace of Aces were the first 'first person-shooter' games I ever recall seeing.

I don't know too much about the history of Nova Game Designs, so I don't know whether NGD stayed in business much longer after that. They had popular games that were very innovative and easy to play, yet very exciting and different from anything else. I treasure my copies of their games and my fond memories of gaming against friends in junior high at lunch time (yes, a true geek). Alas ...

P.S. After I heard about the 'demise' of any future Bounty Hunter books, I had the idea of designing my own, with a friend taking pictures of me and another friend after we found a location to create a 'scenario' / 'situation' for a new edition. Alas (again), we never got around to it. It could still be done, mind you, with digital photography, desktop publishing, and good graphics software. Anyways ...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.