Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony M
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played my first game last night, and I had a couple of questions:

The rules let each player have 2 weapons and one armor in inventory.

1) Can Allies use any of these or are these reserved for the hero ?

2) Can each hero combine bonuses for both weapons ? For example, a hero has the Bow of Bone(+3 to hit ranged combat) and Great Bow(Inflict extra +1 damage if you hit). Does this player get both the +3 to hit and +1 damage, or does the player have to state which of the two ranged weapons (s)he is using ?

Thanks in Advance !

-Tony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Re:Attacking with multiple weapons ?
An FAQ needs to nail this down officially but I say: only the hero may use a magical item unless that item specifically states that it may be used with an ally (like potion of healing). And my own current house rule is to allow only a single weapon during each individual phase and that weapon has to be stated before the attack die is rolled (for the sake of some basic logic... although I can see where a future character/hero might have the special trait of being able to wield two weapons at once... but even then, working two bows sounds pretty absurd)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hahn
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kakupacal (#39661),
I completely agree with you. Only heros using weapons. Only one weapon per round. My house rules exactly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pantera
Sweden
flag msg tools
1) Items are for the Hero only.

2) It is already being discussed in the long topic "Weapons Question?". The rules don't seem to disallow it, even though common sense would only allow one ranged weapon.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/39160

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Broussard
United States
Missouri City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the logic about choosing only one weapon for your hero during his combat phase but -

what if you have another weapon that states "+3 to ranged combat" (notice that it doesn't state anything about the hero) and one of your allies fights in the ranged phase whereas your hero is fighting in the melee phase.. can the ally use the +3 bonus during his roll? Or is this too similar to letting an ally use an item? It seems strange that the allies cannot boost their stats or use weapon bonuses in any way.

I am also assuming you cannot purchase experience counters for your allies, just your hero.

Any feedback on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Roop
United States
Three Rivers
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbroussard (#39842),
Allies DO NOT use items, or gain experience (as of yet,
altho I bet the next set has an ally or 2 that has the
ability to weild one item).
You can only use items on allies if the specific item
allows it. Some relics will allow only healing of the
character and some will allow the character to use it to
heal an ally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ReignsEternal (#40016),

That's a pretty emphatic answer; "Allies DO NOT use items..." I am curious as to what in the rules makes you think that Allies can't use weapons?

I can see a loose reading via reading the "you" reference... but I am curious if you have another interpretation or have some knowledge of intention by the designers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Duval
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
deadeyedick (#43536),
Lets read the rules....first page.

under Item Cards.....Item cards represent weapons, armor, and other equipment your HERO is carrying.......

Lets not get too ridiculuous and far fetched in our interpretations of the rules.

If your HERO is carrying a Weapon....how could his follower use it ?

If you haven't noticed the followers have higher attack values than any of the Heroes, this probably represents any weapons or special abilities they have already built in.

I usually play the game so that a hero can use only one weapon per phase...so if you had two ranged weapons you could use one in the first ranged attack and the other one in the next one, if the battle goes that long.

ReignsEternal (#40016),

That's a pretty emphatic answer; "Allies DO NOT use items..." I am curious as to what in the rules makes you think that Allies can't use weapons?

This statement is ridiculous; the rules also don't say that you can't steal cards from adjacent players when they get up from the table to use the bathroom. So lets see....im pretty sure the designer didn't have that in mind either when he made the game. Lets not think beyond the scope of the rules, the rules state exactly what you can do in the game...anything not written is not allowed...if you start creating rules based on what is not written you might as well attach a monopoly board onto the gameboard, add a few chess pieces and a spinner and play how ever the hell you want. IF IT's NOT WRITTEN IN THE RULES YOU CANNOT DO IT.

Now that i got that off my chest where does it say allies can use items?

If you note at the end of the rule book under Notes, Terms, and Definitions

""You:When a card referst :you:, it usually means your Hero. For example, if a card text says you must make a skill test, it means your Hero must do so. Occasionally, "you" refers to you, the player, but this is clearly indicated when this is the case.""

Show me a item card that doesn't use You or your in the text referring to your Hero as stated above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Duval
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbroussard (#39842),
what if you have another weapon that states "+3 to ranged combat" (notice that it doesn't state anything about the hero) and one of your allies fights in the ranged phase whereas your hero is fighting in the melee phase.. can the ally use the +3 bonus during his roll? Or is this too similar to letting an ally use an item? It seems strange that the allies cannot boost their stats or use weapon bonuses in any way.
In response to this statement....lets not paraphrase information...

The Bow of Bone says Ranged: YOU recieve a +3 bonus to YOUR ranged combat roll.

Read your cards...what part of you and your don't you understand please read the article above this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xasher (#43593),

Easy there chief... don't get your hackles raised.

1st off - if you clearly read what I wrote, you would note this: "I can see a loose reading via reading the "you" reference... but I am curious if you have another interpretation or have some knowledge of intention by the designers..."

That was how I was presuming your response would come from - and I agree. I admit the word loose is misguiding, but I couldn't edit my posts on this baord. I was merely asking you a question with regards to your infinite certitude about the matter - hence I asked if there was something in the rules that was being missed, or if you had word from FFG on the matter. I wasn't challenging you to a duel of absurdities... which brings me to my next question...

Why is it that everyone is so intent on committing fallacies of weak analogy and slippery slope? The second someone infers something in a rule or otherwise has a question about something on the board, the person responding has to take it all the way to a ridiculous extreme and offer bizzare situations that everyone knows are fallacies (e.g the rules also don't say that you can't steal cards from adjacent players when they get up from the table to use the bathroom. So lets see....im pretty sure the designer didn't have that in mind either when he made the game.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Duval
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
deadeyedick (#43616),
I climbed into the designers head the other day and there wasn't anything in there that suggests that followers can use weapons (for those who just came in that was a fallacie of weak analogy and slippery slope).

Sorry !

pause for effect

Let's get this discussion back on course.

So if were not going to climb into the designers head anytime soon, and i dramatically argued my side of the question, i want to hear the other side of the argument.

Where in the rules does it suggest that allies can use weapons ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xasher (#43862),

Seeing as how I agree with you - focusing on the "you" clarification in the rules and the section on Items...

The reason I asked what made you so emphatic is because that is the same logic I use to argue in my group (luckily since I am the host my word is LAW!!!) - but a couple of players say that is being rule-lawyerish and sticking to much to the narrow definition of "you" as it is used in the game and on items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Duval
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
deadeyedick (#44486),
The reason for the definition in the back of the rulebook of "you" and the fact that you and your are used methodically on the cards...I believe the "you" definition was meant to be restrictive. If this wasn't the case why would the game designer feel the need to put the definition of "you" in the rulebook in the first place?...isn't you understood in most cases anyhow?

By adding the narrow definition of "you" in the back of the book, he's creating a blanket rule which he then can use in all aspects of the game to restrict the use of items and events to just the hero.

He should have put the definitions in front of the book...in the prologue for example. That way those who tend to read just the first couple of pages of a rule book then jump right in would not argue rules which they have not completely read in the first part.

The "you" definition is such an important part of the rules, it's hard to believe he put it in the back of the book...at the very least he should have paraphrased or footnoted areas of the rules in reference to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.