Subject: The Auspicious Augury - Fan Faction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Abram Towle
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Custom-tailored game nights in Milwaukee!
badge
Nerd. From Earth.
Microbadge: Copper ReviewerMicrobadge: Play a bird from your handMicrobadge: Targi fan - Silver CrossMicrobadge: Point SaladMicrobadge: Vast: The Crystal Caverns fan
The Auspicious Augury

“The forest holds many secrets. With clarity, they can become reality.”

Character Art by Kyle Ferrin

Updated 11/15/19

Changelog:
5/14 - Changed verbiage on the faction mat; altered Lucidity track numbering
5/15 - Updated Prophecy Deck card numbering to match Lucidity track changes
5/21 - Reworded the Resolve Daylight action to allow taking actions from the Prophecy cards based on your position or lower
5/22 - Added the PDF file link
5/23 - Re-upload of PDF link in landscape orientation
11/15 - New High-Quality upload and redesign by arkhane. Includes updated Faction Mat (front and back), Prophecy Cards (front and back), and token sheet.

High Quality File Download Link

The Auspicious Augury PDF Link - Portrait and Landscape

Special thanks for the editing and redesign by:
ark hane
msg tools

Playing the Augury

When taking on the mantle of the Augury, you’ve caught a glimpse into what might be. You will use your Prophecies to choose actions a turn ahead of time, practicing foresight to gain an upper hand in the battle for the forest.

Cloaked in secrecy, your mists will hide your intentions and your warriors. As the rolling fog spreads, you will become more lucid, eventually becoming illuminated. Be careful; the mists are fickle and your judgment can easily become clouded if you must place a token but have none remaining.

Your forces will often give the impression of weakness, but their incorporeal nature masks your true power. Unpredictability is your partner in this dance of fate. Show the forest why your counsel should be revered; there is only room for the faithful amongst the Augury’s ranks.

Components

Warriors x 15
Buildings (none)
Tokens x8 Mists
Other Pieces x9 Prophecy Deck Cards

Special Abilities

Incorporeal
Mist tokens count as warriors when determining rule, aren’t considered defenseless, and can move with warriors anytime warriors are moved.
Clouded
If the Augury needs to place a mist token when they are unable to do so, they become Clouded. Remove six mist tokens from the board, starting in the clearings with the fewest.

Setup (C2)

1st: Place five warriors and one mist token in one of the corner clearings between the keep and the Eyrie. If either of these factions is not playing, place these pieces in a corner clearing of your choice.

2nd: Place two mist tokens among your starting clearing and any adjacent one, without having more than two in a single clearing.

3rd: Flip your board and place your remaining mist tokens on the Lucidity track, from bottom to top. Shuffle the Prophecy Deck, draw four cards, select three, and put those cards on the Prophecy Stack. Place the remaining cards on your player board to form the Prophecy Deck.

Turn
Birdsong
1st: Craft using mists.

2nd: Recruit Place a warrior at each clearing with at least two mist tokens

Daylight
1st: Remove one mist token from the board. Score VP based on the token’s placement back on the player board.

2nd: Resolve each card in the Prophecy Stack, taking the action equal to, or below, your position on the Lucidity track. Shuffle the cards back into the Prophecy Deck.

For each card you spend, you may take an additional Move, Battle, or Spread action in a matching clearing.

Evening
1st: Prophesize Draw cards from the Prophecy Deck equal to one plus the number of mists on the board.

Select a number of these based on the Lucidity track and place them face-down in the Prophecy Stack area.

2nd: Spread Place a mist token on a clearing with a mist token or on an adjacent clearing.

Draw 1 card, plus 1 card per card icon showing. Discard down to 5 cards.

Prophecy Deck Keywords

Spread - Add one mist token to the board in a clearing with a mist token or to an adjacent clearing.
Absorb - Remove one enemy warrior on a clearing with a mist token. Add one warrior token to that clearing.
Convert - Remove one mist token from a clearing to add two warriors to that clearing
Envelop - Remove one friendly warrior from a clearing to add two mist tokens to a clearing
Delve - Draw an additional card from the Prophecy Deck. You may carry out the actions on that card this turn according to your position on the Lucidity track.
Duplicate - Copy another action that you’ve already taken this turn.
Illusory - Place three warriors in a clearing adjacent to a clearing that you rule with a mist token. Battle in that clearing. Remove the warriors at the end of the battle.

Creator Comments

The main goal for this faction was to facilitate a person’s ability to peer into the future and predict the boardstate a turn before. For the rest of the table, this creates uncertainty as to what actions the Augury player might have access to. As a trade-off to selecting actions a turn earlier, the Augury has access to a powerful suite of abilities. If left unchecked, the Augury can quickly snowball and affect the board in a major way.

When brainstorming ideas for tokens, I loved the thematic element of mists rolling in at night and fading away in the morning. Mechanically, I also wanted there to be this idea of ‘getting lost in the mists’, which is where the Absorb ability originated. Early iterations didn’t have the free Spread action, and it didn’t feel right to have the Augury lose a mist every turn without an upside.

There was also the idea of allowing any action to be performed on the Prophecy cards when carrying out the actions. This was deemed to be too powerful, and takes away the threat of becoming Clouded. It’s not probable for this ability to come into play, since the Augury has to be maxed out on the Augury track, needs to have selected the Delve action the previous turn, and has to uncover the Spread x3 card with that Delve action. Unlikely, but it did happen during playtesting. Edit: This has been changed. Now a player can take any action at or below their Lucidity level when Resolving actions on the cards in the Daylight Phase.

Although playtesting has been done at lower player counts, there hasn’t been much work comparing balance with all factions. There is a lot of opportunity for playtesting and balance changes, so please let me know your thoughts if you take the Augury for a test drive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Color me intrigued.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great idea! Great concept. Owls and old birds who can see the future and use the mists and the night to fulfill their agenda.
love it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulet N
Indonesia
City of Heroes
flag msg tools
Angry dragon! In ssspaaace!!!
badge
I think dragons are the quintessential element of fantasy in the same way outer space is for sci-fi.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is... interesting. A bit cloudy, but interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
Color me intrigued.
Agreed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C.J. Cornils
msg tools
mbmbmb
There are a couple points that confuse me here.

One set of numbers matches up with the cards (Clouded, Lucid, Illuminated) but the second set of numbers doesn't make sense. Does it illustrate the number of cards you're supposed to draw? If so, I'd get rid of them entirely. The card icon conflicts with the 1+card icon rule, a strict reading means that you're always drawing at least four cards. A more generous reading still leaves the icons to confuse the player. If crossing into a new lucidity territory gives an extra card hide the icon under the mist tokens like you have done with the others.

I'm also a bit confused about which action I'm supposed to take on prophesy cards. Is it only the action that matches the level I'm at, any action at my level or lower, or all actions at my level or lower?

And one point to quibble on: The phrase "basic actions" is used in the Law in a specific manner. To avoid rules-lawyer confusion, I'd reword the last sentance of Daylight 2 to say "For each [card] you spend, you may take an additional Move, Battle, or Spread Action."

There's no room for it, unfortunately, but a keyword like Execute would also be appreciated on Daylight 2, but that's just me nitpicking.

This is a very creative faction, an interesting way of interacting with the existing components, and having tokens count for rule makes this interesting stragegically, both as a player and an opponent. I worry about this faction becoming a token-VP farm, but a wise player shouldn't let that happen. The only thing it's really lacking is a geopolitical parallel, and is perhaps a little too magical for Root's flavor, but there's only so many niches to build from anyway.

TO wrap up my meanderings, I would like to say I find this a intriguing faction to consider, and I wouldn't mind playing it myself, pending the points of confusion and convincing my group to let my try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abram Towle
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Nerd. From Earth.
Microbadge: Copper ReviewerMicrobadge: Play a bird from your handMicrobadge: Targi fan - Silver CrossMicrobadge: Point SaladMicrobadge: Vast: The Crystal Caverns fan
Nester64 wrote:
There are a couple points that confuse me here.

One set of numbers matches up with the cards (Clouded, Lucid, Illuminated) but the second set of numbers doesn't make sense. Does it illustrate the number of cards you're supposed to draw? If so, I'd get rid of them entirely. The card icon conflicts with the 1+card icon rule, a strict reading means that you're always drawing at least four cards. A more generous reading still leaves the icons to confuse the player. If crossing into a new lucidity territory gives an extra card hide the icon under the mist tokens like you have done with the others.

I'm also a bit confused about which action I'm supposed to take on prophesy cards. Is it only the action that matches the level I'm at, any action at my level or lower, or all actions at my level or lower?

And one point to quibble on: The phrase "basic actions" is used in the Law in a specific manner. To avoid rules-lawyer confusion, I'd reword the last sentance of Daylight 2 to say "For each [card] you spend, you may take an additional Move, Battle, or Spread Action."

There's no room for it, unfortunately, but a keyword like Execute would also be appreciated on Daylight 2, but that's just me nitpicking.

This is a very creative faction, an interesting way of interacting with the existing components, and having tokens count for rule makes this interesting stragegically, both as a player and an opponent. I worry about this faction becoming a token-VP farm, but a wise player shouldn't let that happen. The only thing it's really lacking is a geopolitical parallel, and is perhaps a little too magical for Root's flavor, but there's only so many niches to build from anyway.

TO wrap up my meanderings, I would like to say I find this a intriguing faction to consider, and I wouldn't mind playing it myself, pending the points of confusion and convincing my group to let my try it.
Thank you very much - I appreciate the feedback!

You're definitely right about the numbers on the Lucidity Track. My intent was to distinguish the different levels (Clouded, Lucid, Illuminated) and communicate how many Prophecy Cards a player can choose from. Perhaps using the same card icon that is on the Faction Manifest would work better, if integrated with the track?

As far as the Prophecy cards go, a player takes the action that reflects their current standing on the Lucidity track, not all of the actions on the card. I went back and forth on this point, eventually deciding that that taking every action on a card was too powerful. In my testing, the Augury primarily sat in the Lucid section of the track, so they would be taking six actions per turn on average. The exception to this rule is Delve, which allows a choice from the actions on the extra card pulled.

Thanks for your suggestion of the basic action rewording as well!

Edit: Uploaded a new image taking into account the wording changes suggested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop
United States
KEIZER
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nester64 wrote:

The only thing it's really lacking is a geopolitical parallel, and is perhaps a little too magical for Root's flavor

First and foremost let me say great work! I find several of the mechanics here unique and interesting.

Everything looks very polished as well. (perhaps you could share which program you used to create your faction board?)

My only criticism really is what Nester64 pointed out. I know Root has intentionally steered clear of fantasy and magic and I too agree with that decision.

But with that said I still think your faction has potential, but could it be in a different theme?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abram Towle
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Nerd. From Earth.
Bishop777 wrote:

Everything looks very polished as well. (perhaps you could share which program you used to create your faction board?)
Thanks for the kind words! I used GIMP to put everything together. A good chunk of the necessary pieces came from this thread, although some portions were just manipulating shapes and whatnot so that they looked similar to the official boards.

Bishop777 wrote:

My only criticism really is what Nester64 pointed out. I know Root has intentionally steered clear of fantasy and magic and I too agree with that decision.

But with that said I still think your faction has potential, but could it be in a different theme?
The way I kind of pictured this faction isn't necessarily as magical or fantastical in any way; these are just wise, elderly animals that others revere and respect. Their 'Prophecies' don't necessarily hold any true merit. In fact, I see them as merely planning ahead and moving the pieces under the cover of night to create the guise that they're prophetical.

Same goes for the mists. Every night the fog/mist rolls in, the Augury does their business, and the mists evaporate with the morning sun. Now of course, from a mechanical perspective, how are is the Augury actually making physical mist? Not really sure.

You're definitely right though - it is bordering on the edge of mystical and it's a fair critique.

The geopolitical analog I sort of had in mind was something along the lines of the Oracle of Delphi. I'm sure some of this could be reshaped to fit more along those lines, with worshipers/believers working towards fulfilling the 'prophecies' without it seeming too 'cult-like'. Lizards have that locked down already.

Again, thanks so much for the response! I'll give it some thought!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
I am assuming that becoming clouded due to over illumination doesn't earn me VPs... right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I really like about this is how elegant the rules are, yet how interesting the gameplay sounds. Too often the first impulse people have is to make a complicated mess of a faction that is rules heavy.

I hope this is included in the fan faction expansion they're looking at doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abram Towle
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Nerd. From Earth.
Kouhan wrote:
I am assuming that becoming clouded due to over illumination doesn't earn me VPs... right?
Good question! The VPs are only awarded when the mists are returned through the specific Daylight Action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Tatu
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Afrofrycook wrote:
I hope the same. This faction actually interests me more than the Khan... even though the Khan is looking fun already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zerbique wrote:
Afrofrycook wrote:
I hope the same. This faction actually interests me more than the Khan... even though the Khan is looking fun already.
We are going to have so many cool factions to play with! laugh

I really hope the include Magical the Unicorn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the steps mandatory? Do you have to do it if you can?
Ex: Daylight 1st: "Remove one mist token from the board" Is this optional or mandatory.
Maybe can add either "You may" or "you must" or something similiar.

Edit: Also it feels that its more common to have it worded like this:
"Draw cards from the Prophecy deck equal to number of mist tokens on the board +1"
Just swap it. Or maybe its just me ^^

Edit*2: The number of Prophecy cards you get to play is the number on the lucidy track? Clouded=2, Lucid=3, Illuminated=4?

Edit*3: What is the number on the Prophecy cards for? Clouded-1, Lucid-2, Illuminated-3.
Its little confusing what does mean, when you have other numbers on the Lucidity track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abram Towle
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Nerd. From Earth.
Tolchock wrote:
Is the steps mandatory? Do you have to do it if you can?
Ex: Daylight 1st: "Remove one mist token from the board" Is this optional or mandatory.
Maybe can add either "You may" or "you must" or something similiar.
Yes, the steps are mandatory, just like the Eyrie Dynasty is worded 'Resolve the Decree'. Typically the other player boards will include verbiage if an action isn't mandatory, otherwise it should be assumed to be mandatory. For example, Marquise de Cat says 'Take up to 3 actions' or the Woodland Alliance says 'any number of times' (which could be zero times).

Tolchock wrote:

Edit: Also it feels that its more common to have it worded like this:
"Draw cards from the Prophecy deck equal to number of mist tokens on the board +1"
Just swap it. Or maybe its just me ^^
I keep going back and forth with how that should be worded. I'm not thrilled with how it stands now, but I also don't necessarily want to tack on a +1 to the end.

Tolchock wrote:

Edit*2: The number of Prophecy cards you get to play is the number on the lucidy track? Clouded=2, Lucid=3, Illuminated=4?
Correct. The number on the Track refers to the number of Prophecies you get to put on the Stack during the Prophesize Evening action. Even if you move into another section on the Lucidity Track before Daylight of your next turn, you still retain the cards. However, the action that you take on each card is determined by your position on the Lucidity Track at resolution.

For example, you could be 'Lucid' and take the Convert action. Since this removes a mist token from the board, this might bump you back to 'Clouded'. The next card you take an action from would then be from the top row. If this happens to be a Spread action, then if you had a third card you'd be back in the 'Lucid' section and would take the second action on the card.

Tolchock wrote:

Edit*3: What is the number on the Prophecy cards for? Clouded-1, Lucid-2, Illuminated-3.
Its little confusing what does mean, when you have other numbers on the Lucidity track.
Thanks for catching that! I made a change yesterday to the numbering on the Lucidity Track based on some other feedback and forgot that the cards had numbers too. I've updated the image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Cricket
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Had a go with this yesterday and it was enjoyable but I have a question or two.

Doing actions on Prophecy cards, if I can't do the whole action, can I do part of it? For example, 'Convert' says to remove a mist token and add two warriors but if I don't have any warriors can I just remove a mist token? 'Absorb' says to remove an enemy warrior and add one of your own. What if I don't have any warriors in my stock? Can I just remove an enemy warrior?

Also my feeling was that it would make more sense to allow a choice of action on the Prophecy card at my Lucidity level or lower rather than restricting it to the action at my level.

It was an interesting game but I lost to the Eyrie, possibly partly because I wasn't aggressive enough but the Eyrie do start piling up the points in the later stages which the Augury didn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abram Towle
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Nerd. From Earth.
Thanks for the feedback TONi - you are a brave soul for giving them a try and I appreciate your comments!

I’ve found the same thing while testing, is that it feels more natural for the Augury to “Unlock” all of abilities on the Prophecy cards at or below their current Lucidity. The main reason I’ve delayed making the change is that it really increases the complexity of the decision-making at the Illuminated level.

Granted, only the Lucid level and the Spread action really mess with your mist-count, so in theory it isn’t too bad. It would also open up the Augury to being more reactive - besides Recruiting in the Birdsong, their only way of getting additional warriors right now out is through the Lucid actions.

Regarding the warriors and order of operations, you should carry out the actions in the order listed. In your examples, you would Convert by first removing the mist token and then adding up to two warriors. This is based off this rule:

Quote:
2.5 Pieces [...] If you are prompted to place, take, or remove a piece but you cannot, you must place [...] the maximum number possible.
In this wording of Absorb, the “cost” is removing an enemy warrior, so you do that first provided you meet the requirements of having a mist token on the space. I’ve actually changed Absorb recently to require the mist token to be removed first, then remove an enemy warrior, followed by adding a warrior to the clearing. This puts all of the ‘Lucid’ abilities at a net +1 effect.

Thanks again for taking the Augury out for a whirl! I’ll post any changes to this thread.

Edit: I've changed the wording to allow actions at or below your Lucidity Level. This shouldn't be game-breaking, but it helps the Augury move a bit more freely than before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Leonard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Intrigued and eager to try! Any chance of a pdf version of the board and cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abram Towle
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Nerd. From Earth.
Leonard_Daniels wrote:
Intrigued and eager to try! Any chance of a pdf version of the board and cards?
I think that could be arranged...

I'll try and get to it today!

Edit: File upload is available here: The Auspicious Augury PDF
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin M
Germany
Passau
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interesting, seems like a better version of my idea XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Leonard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for your work, but I was hoping for a pdf that's in landscape orientation so it will be the right size for a player board once printed. Unless this is some kind of US-UK paper size confusion. Sorry to be so demanding.

EDIT: Just learned that MS Word has the facility to create pdfs so I put them into one myself. Have uploaded it to the Files section for Root but since I've never uploaded anything to BGG before I'm not sure how it works. It's not showing up now so I presume it's awaiting moderation or something. Anyway, once it's shown up I'll post a link. Unless me doing this isn't cool, in which case tell me and I'll remove it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abram Towle
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Nerd. From Earth.
Leonard_Daniels wrote:
Thank you for your work, but I was hoping for a pdf that's in landscape orientation so it will be the right size for a player board once printed. Unless this is some kind of US-UK paper size confusion. Sorry to be so demanding.

EDIT: Just learned that MS Word has the facility to create pdfs so I put them into one myself. Have uploaded it to the Files section for Root but since I've never uploaded anything to BGG before I'm not sure how it works. It's not showing up now so I presume it's awaiting moderation or something. Anyway, once it's shown up I'll post a link. Unless me doing this isn't cool, in which case tell me and I'll remove it.
Oh sorry about that, I didn't even realize that it went portrait. I'll re-upload it as landscape.

Edit: It's pending upload, but will be available at the same File location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Piccione
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, great job!

Is a pdf file with the Mist tokens available?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abram Towle
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Nerd. From Earth.
paolo_piccione wrote:
Thanks, great job!

Is a pdf file with the Mist tokens available?
Thanks!

I haven't put out a design for the Mist tokens other than the image on the Faction Details Manifest. Mostly because I'm not really in love with the current design but haven't put much thought into a better one. In the interim you could screencap the image on the manifest and duplicate it a couple times into a word processing file and print from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |