Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C F
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I think this game has a pretty
good experience scaling system, but how does money scale up? I'm at level 4 and am fighting tougher creatures, but still only end my adventures with the same coin totals as I started at level one with.

It seems like it's going to be really tough affording some of the pricier items in town with (often) only getting around $50 after a mission.

Should I house rule money finds to be something like a multiple of my current level?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Why
msg tools
There is no implicit money scaling, but your income should increase with time anyway.

As you get better equipment, more of the items you find will get sold in town. Also, as you gain better skills, your income in town (from gambling, test your might, and such) will increase.

Your conclusion is correct though - the most expensive items are really tough to afford. Saving for something like tools of science takes many missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't houserule it. The experience does scale up, but not at a direct correlation with the increase in total experience needed to level up.

The end effect is that you will spend increased time on each of the higher levels, and that continues to go up - meaning you have more time to gain money and equipment that you can sell off for more money.

Also, you'll end up having a relatively full equipment set, so more of the things you do find you can sell off and that really gives a lot of extra money.

On top of all of it, I personally wouldn't want to race to buy the best stuff early, since once you do that there may be nothing else to chase for. Similarly the errata added some rules allowing maximum item value for character levels 1-4. This prevents the "lucky drop" that could be best-in-class item given to a character at level 1 and trivializing some of the content until later. I recommend that change too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Gustavel
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
You're only making $50 per mission?

I think in both my groups the characters generally end up with a couple hundred each after a mission, between scavenging and loot cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C F
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DistantOasis wrote:
You're only making $50 per mission?

I think in both my groups the characters generally end up with a couple hundred each after a mission, between scavenging and loot cards.

I'm not including quest rewards, which aren't always guaranteed anyway. But, yeah, I guess I've just been unlucky so far. Most scavenging searches end up with nothing good.

Even so, $200 doesn't go very far in this game. You're usually spending that on bandages, injury repair, and/or something like dynamite with little to nothing left over for buying anything substantial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Why
msg tools
If you're a meleer, a Pick Axe can be a good investment. It's a decent weapon, and it will eventually pay for itself in extra darkstones.

And when selling darkstone, always grind out the 'Darkstone Shortage' location event and save a grit to reroll the sell value dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Outlaw characters can take risks robbing the bank, Gambling Hall, and doing Smuggler's Den missions. The Outlaw Kickstarter Hero seems especially good for these kinds of missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Panner wrote:
And when selling darkstone, always grind out the 'Darkstone Shortage' location event and save a grit to reroll the sell value dice.
Yes, don't forget to sell DarkStone. We tend to get about $1000 per mission per player once we get back to town and sell stuff or collect bounties, etc.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Mercer
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes it's a bit random, but gear and artefact selling tends to net us more gold than actual found gold.

Darkstone seems to be our limit. 3rd game in and so far we've found 1 darkstone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C F
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Panner wrote:
Yes, don't forget to sell DarkStone. We tend to get about $1000 per mission per player once we get back to town and sell stuff or collect bounties, etc.

-shnar

I tried that. After I sold just two pieces, the place blew up and tentacles stole the rest of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Gustavel
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
How did an event interrupt selling all your DS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lumin wrote:
shnar wrote:
Panner wrote:

-shnar

I tried that. After I sold just two pieces, the place blew up and tentacles stole the rest of it.
Um... what?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C F
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DistantOasis wrote:

It didn't interrupt it. I sold a couple pieces of my darkstone to the Frontier Outpost. At the end of day we had an event where the outpost exploded and created a void where tentacles came out and stole the rest of my darkstone.

I'm just illustrating the hilariously bad luck of the situation I have been in lately. It was a neat story, so it was worth it...I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lumin wrote:
DistantOasis wrote:

It didn't interrupt it. I sold a couple pieces of my darkstone to the Frontier Outpost. At the end of day we had an event where the outpost exploded and created a void where tentacles came out and stole the rest of my darkstone.

I'm just illustrating the hilariously bad luck of the situation I have been in lately. It was a neat story, so it was worth it...I guess.
Ah, I was very confused otherwise. Sounded like you were rolling for an event between every sale of darkstone...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Why
msg tools
If you have a saloon girl in the party, she should DEFINITELY be hitting the saloon every day in town, maybe except for a visit to the doctor. The money from that place adds up fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C F
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Panner wrote:
If you have a saloon girl in the party, she should DEFINITELY be hitting the saloon every day in town, maybe except for a visit to the doctor. The money from that place adds up fast.

Question about that. Does the Piano Player count as a "Saloon Girl" for these rolls? Also, does your character count as an "Outlaw" when he's received a "Wanted" card? NM, saw that he does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The piano player and saloon girl are the same as each other in all aspects. I know this has been specifically answered in places. Pretty sure it's in the faq.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls