Recommend
11 
 Thumb up
 Hide
467 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [19] | 

Stonemaier Games» Forums » General

Subject: What happened between Stonemeir and the distributors? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Delia Volpi
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I was looking at a Dice tower's video and it came out that Stonemeier will not sell anymore to the distributors or sellers who are telling not true negative stories about his editor...
I have no idea what happened. Is this connected to Wingspan and the delays to the distributors?...I do not really care to wait for this game, but now I have no idea if the store from which I preordered and payed this game will have this trouble or not...at the end the customers, who do not have any fault, will have troubles from this decision..If it does not arrive, I will have to look at some other games.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Delia: This won't impact you at all. There were a few retailers who were repeatedly spreading false information about Stonemaier Games, and it reached such a tipping point with one of them that we asked distributors to stop selling our products to them.

99.99% of retailers are doing a wonderful job (or are at least not actively working against their publishing partners). If you'd like to tell me which retailer you pre-ordered from, I can tell you if they're the one retailer who will no longer be selling our products. Since there are thousands of retailers worldwide, the odds are heavily in your favor.
62 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Delia: This won't impact you at all. There were a few retailers who were repeatedly spreading false information about Stonemaier Games, and it reached such a tipping point with one of them that we asked distributors to stop selling our products to them.

99.99% of retailers are doing a wonderful job (or are at least not actively working against their publishing partners). If you'd like to tell me which retailer you pre-ordered from, I can tell you if they're the one retailer who will no longer be selling our products. Since there are thousands of retailers worldwide, the odds are heavily in your favor.
Why not just tell us the retailers you have cut off? Seems easier.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Werness
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:
Delia: This won't impact you at all. There were a few retailers who were repeatedly spreading false information about Stonemaier Games, and it reached such a tipping point with one of them that we asked distributors to stop selling our products to them.

99.99% of retailers are doing a wonderful job (or are at least not actively working against their publishing partners). If you'd like to tell me which retailer you pre-ordered from, I can tell you if they're the one retailer who will no longer be selling our products. Since there are thousands of retailers worldwide, the odds are heavily in your favor.
Why not just tell us the retailers you have cut off? Seems easier.

Maybe to not act the same way as the retailers were and throw them under the bus
50 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, it's fine. When people are brought to trial, they aren't given anonymity, and rightly so.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's just one retailer that has been blacklisted as a result of their behavior. Stephen is correct--I'm not looking to throw anyone under the bus. I just don't have any interest in them selling our games.

Also, I'm pretty sure this retailer is (or already has) outed themselves of their own volition.
44 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This post has been removed by a moderator - Personal attack
Stephen Werness
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
There's just one retailer that has been blacklisted as a result of their behavior. Stephen is correct--I'm not looking to throw anyone under the bus. I just don't have any interest in them selling our games.

Also, I'm pretty sure this retailer is (or already has) outed themselves of their own volition.

Judging by their post on reddit, it’s no wonder why things ended the way they did.

8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Response to removed post
Response to removed post
Stephen Werness
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Usually when a Stonemaier post comes up on r/boardgames, it attracts the vocal minority of anti-Stonemaier posts. I really don’t know to what benefit will be had from commenting in that post after watching where most of the talking posts are headed. It’s not like you haven’t already clearly and openly discussed this wingspan issue. Any one following along knows what happened and it’s a lot of sour grapes on others parts.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Stephen--I appreciate that feedback.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Pacheco
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
No answer for me? Honestly not trying to antagonize or drive conflict. Im just curious on where you view Amazon in this whole boardgame pipeline ecosystem. I also know you have explained that you dont sell to Amazon directly, but you have been dealing with this specific ecommerce distributor for a long time, I guess my question is why? Why not simply commit to dealing only with FLGS style retailers? Especially in the early hype portion of a games lifespan when its so important for retailers to have product for their customers....

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry, Miguel--I missed your comment. I'm happy to respond.

You're correct that we sell to a distributor called Flat River that sells to non-hobby online stores like Amazon, Walmart.com, and Target.com. The main answer to your question is that those stores are very powerful, and they will find a way to get our products. I'd rather control the supply to them then have them find a way to get our games that I have no control over.

While I don't think it's an all-or-nothing proposition, we do already allocate less to Flat River early in a game's lifecycle than their normal allocation percentage. Over Wingspan's first 3 printings, other distributors have received the vast majority of the games, not Flat River.
39 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Response to removed post
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brett: I'll consider it, though I've learned that not much good can come of interacting with something like that.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Werness
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eflin wrote:

Some most certainly will unfortunately. He has enough screenshots and is taking the time to respond to most posts in a polite manner. I would not get sucked into a quagmire of drama but a couple well thought and short responses may do your brand a lot of good. Silence in the face of screenshots will validate the criticism to some.

There are some that are already poking holes in his argument and further the post confirms Jamey’s reasons of a ban. Taking things obnoxiously out of context to put Stonemaier games in a bad light. Can only imagine how someone like this was privately if this is how they approach the situation publicly.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett M
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Understood completely and agreed. I have had to deal with junk like this at work before as well. Not really any “winning” to be had and is a negative experience no matter how it goes. Your actions will speak louder than words in the end but it is also hard to lend any validity (even by silence) to them when they post on such a large forum you use so consumers will know you saw it and he is providing so much data to back it up.

You have handled things like this well in the past so I will leave it at that and wish you the best of luck! Hopefully it doesn’t stir up things too much so you can focus on your games.

EDIT: Agreed Stephen
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate T
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ilpalazo wrote:
No answer for me? Honestly not trying to antagonize or drive conflict. Im just curious on where you view Amazon in this whole boardgame pipeline ecosystem. I also know you have explained that you dont sell to Amazon directly, but you have been dealing with this specific ecommerce distributor for a long time, I guess my question is why? Why not simply commit to dealing only with FLGS style retailers? Especially in the early hype portion of a games lifespan when its so important for retailers to have product for their customers....


Because some of us don’t buy from FLGS style retailers?
24 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brett: I haven't looked, but is he really providing proper data? Every post I've ever seen from him has provided "data," but in a context so absurd and misleading that it truly wouldn't make sense to respond to it. Feel free to provide an example of real, credible data you think he has shared that reflect poorly on Stonemaier Games.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate T
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
He has screenshots of various things, not pivot tables.

BTW I looked at his post, and I ended up not caring if what he said was right or wrong.

Wingspan got out. It got played. Period. Any background news is just noise.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett M
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly none of his screenshots will load in good enough resolution on my phone. I just know some redditors are taking said screenshots that way and he is commenting extensively on how you were purposefully generating scarcity to increase demand/ratings and being misleading on your dealings with amazon. Now I don’t believe all that and can tell from what I am reading on reddit their is some misinformation going on... but I also see that it is getting some support (and push back) from redditors

People are clearly frustrated about the scarcity of wingspan and I would not want them believing a narrative potentially taken out of context and without your rebuttal is all. Not saying to dive in their but you seemed to want to know how people were reacting over there so wanted to give some feedback on it.

Just reading he was the only one you banned (and his case/claims on reddit) makes a lot more sense now... and also why you don’t want to do business with him...

Sorry I could not be more precise/helpful!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Brett! Hopefully there are people there to point to the many places where I've explained the Wingspan situation and how we sell to a distributor who sells to Amazon.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Pacheco
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
jameystegmaier wrote:
I'm sorry, Miguel--I missed your comment. I'm happy to respond.

You're correct that we sell to a distributor called Flat River that sells to non-hobby online stores like Amazon, Walmart.com, and Target.com. The main answer to your question is that those stores are very powerful, and they will find a way to get our products. I'd rather control the supply to them then have them find a way to get our games that I have no control over.

While I don't think it's an all-or-nothing proposition, we do already allocate less to Flat River early in a game's lifecycle than their normal allocation percentage. Over Wingspan's first 3 printings, other distributors have received the vast majority of the games, not Flat River.

Great, thank you for the answer! For what its worth, I think early in the lifecycle you should really think through making any stock even available in those channels at all as it can lead to a lot of frustration on the part of retail partners and consumers. That being said, there are lots of folks that seem to buy exclusively through Amazon, so I guess you dont want to limit your market.

I appreciate you taking the time respond!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Miguel: I think I'll continue with our current strategy of controlling the supply chain to Amazon through Flat River, heavily limiting their allocation early in the lifecycle of a game. Again, if we don't sell to someone who sells to Amazon, Amazon will still find a way to get our games, and then things will actually get worse, not better.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [19] |