Subject: What happened between Stonemeir and the distributors? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
zhi liao
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
comat0se wrote:
I think at the end of the day, if Jamie can't figure out how to sell to individual franchisees of GG then he's absolutely not pro-retailer. He's being vindictive. They are just owner/operators just like any other gaming store, they just happen to carry the same name.

It is his business and he can decide how he wants to run it, just because he comes down hard on a small group of stores does not mean he is not PRO-store. Everyone has someone, that for some reason just grinds their gears. If he doesn't want to work with them then he doesn't want to work with them, yes it sucks for some of the customers at those stores being caught as bystanders to this but it is in his right to do so. I know lots of store owners and publishers that hate each other and refuse to carry or sell certain products, but are fairly "pro retailer" otherwise other than that sold solo exception. If I was a big business owner, and I refused to do business with another business because their CEO was a complete D**K to me, and that business ran a bunch of animal shelters, would that me I was an "animal hater"? No, It may make me seem a little childish, but it is perfectly in my right to do so. Lots of people due this all the time, my GF drives an extra 12 miles to get her nails done, because she dislikes the receptionist at the nail place that is closer, over an argument that had when they were in high school together over 9 years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Michela
United States
Gurnee
IL
flag msg tools
jameystegmaier wrote:
Nick: You said, "I spend a lot of time in several of my local shops and I can't tell you how many people I see walk out empty-handed because those stores can't actually get Scythe."

I'm concerned about that--we make a lot of Scythe, and I wasn't aware there was a shortage at the FLGS level, especially not on an ongoing basis. I'd like to figure out why that's happening and fix it. I'll bring it up in my next retailer update to see if some retailers will talk to me about it. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

This is beyond mind boggling and upsetting that just NOW you are addressing this. How can you not have known there was scarcity always of Viticulture, Scythe, and Euphoria? Distributors constantly have zero. Stores are constantly trying to reorder them or have them backordered - do you not get this information? I have seen first hand stores (not just Goat) complain for YEARS now about not having Scythe or xx game for say, Black Friday, or, Christmas, because even when they efficiently stock up, by the time they are gone (which is fast) they have to wait for months on end for a reprint.

Probably won't respond to me as you seem to be cherry picking your responses here but full disclosure I am a very evil owner of a Gaming Goat location .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
volsdreamer wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:
Nick: You said, "I spend a lot of time in several of my local shops and I can't tell you how many people I see walk out empty-handed because those stores can't actually get Scythe."

I'm concerned about that--we make a lot of Scythe, and I wasn't aware there was a shortage at the FLGS level, especially not on an ongoing basis. I'd like to figure out why that's happening and fix it. I'll bring it up in my next retailer update to see if some retailers will talk to me about it. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

This is beyond mind boggling and upsetting that just NOW you are addressing this. How can you not have known there was scarcity always of Viticulture, Scythe, and Euphoria? Distributors constantly have zero. Stores are constantly trying to reorder them or have them backordered - do you not get this information? I have seen first hand stores (not just Goat) complain for YEARS now about not having Scythe or xx game for say, Black Friday, or, Christmas, because even when they efficiently stock up, by the time they are gone (which is fast) they have to wait for months on end for a reprint.

Probably won't respond to me as you seem to be cherry picking your responses here but full disclosure I am a very evil owner of a Gaming Goat location .

Another Gaming Goat game store owner with zero presence on BGG until this whole thing happened? Why am I not surprised?

Every store I have gone to has had zero issues with Scythe being out of stock for very long. Euphoria as well (not sure why everyone NOW is thinking this is such an in-demand game - I love it, but it's not really flying off the shelves). I can't comment on Viticulture since I don't really care for it, so I don't really notice it one way or the other.

And again - how is it his fault if retailers aren't talking to him about it. All he can do is try to meet the demand that comes from the distributors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
justin abbott
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
abbojm01 wrote:
Plur42 wrote:
So I didn't reply to the Redit post because I did not want people to assume I am a shrill because I would have created a new user because I don't have a user on redit... So I reply here because I have had this account for sometime...

Full Disclosure: I go to Gaming goat for maybe 60% of my games. Not the only place I go but I do business with them. Not loyal or friends with the company, just like their selection and prices.

This whole thing should have been solved in private between the company and the publisher... From what it looks like based on information we have... Is that the Publisher claims he is ok with the open communication between the publisher and stores and supports them but the screen shots of conversations that occurred between the publisher and gaming goat show a different story.

Next lets have a conversation about MAP agreements. MAP agreements are a legal loop hole for price fixing which is illegal. The way a store gets away with a MAP agreement is to "not advertise the price". This way the consumer has to put the product in a shopping cart or ask a representative what the price is... This can easily be done by not listing the price of your games at your store. It seems to me that when the Publisher saw the game store trying to get rid of inventory using this method online, he punished or threatened to punish the company even though the company is 100% in the right... Furthermore the publisher does not enforce these MAP agreements with Amazon for fear that they would lose Amazon business, but has no problem threatening game stores if they don't follow their price fixing model. The publisher claims to be a proponent of local game stores but is more inclined to punish them over large market retailers.

I personally can't stand MAP agreements, they are specifically designed to artificially set prices on products instead of letting the market decide what the price is. I am aware that major publishers have MAP agreements such as ANA and CMON but it does not make it right... You make it difficult to unload inventory for games that have no demand and the store is stuck with your inventory. They have no choice to put the item on clearance which just hurts your brand and the store with a bunch of clearance items.

I recognize that the publisher is attempting to control the narrative, but this seems to be a issue that I recommend the publisher to contact the store owner and resolve their differences instead of creating this PR issue.

I don’t think MAP is price fixing. You may have a misunderstanding of what price fixing is.
You can't unilaterally fix prices. MAP policies are inherently unilateral.

Pete (oversees MAP policies as part of his job, even if he doesn't particularly like them)

Price fixing is different than a min advertised price policy (mapp) and unilateral pricing policy (upp). Both mapp and upp are not illegal to my understanding. Fixing a price with competitors is illegal, and by definition not unilateral. I am near 100% certain that SM games had no part with price fixing. SM briefly experimented with mapp/upp. Not sure which without going back to his post. Maybe we just have a different definition for price fixing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe R
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Hey Jamey,

Thanks for taking the time to respond and your openness with your blog. I do have some questions. You have mentioned that Beyond Two Castles underperformed. Do you think you overcorrected predicting the demand for Wingspan? When do you think you are going to get ahead on demand for Wingspan.

For what it is worth Scythe is available at my FLGS so it is not completely Barrett out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
GG aside, I’ve never seen a game store that didn’t have Scythe except between print runs mostly in the early days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Michael Bridge
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Vesper6 wrote:
mikebridge wrote:
comat0se wrote:
I think at the end of the day, if Jamie can't figure out how to sell to individual franchisees of GG then he's absolutely not pro-retailer. He's being vindictive. They are just owner/operators just like any other gaming store, they just happen to carry the same name.

It may depend on the terms of the franchise agreement, the store owners may have to order through 'corporate' to get their discounts so they can offer their competitive pricing.

I have my own distributor accounts. The only thing the franchise gets me financially is better discounts than if I was a lone wolf. My money is 100% separate from the rest of GG. So the ban is more like 40 individual bans.

If all the franchisees order individually (and I'm not sure on the split between franchise and corporate stores), did Jeff (gaming goat CEO) really need 3000 copies for his corporate B&M stores? Seems like a lot of copies for something less than 22 storefronts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Kroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
volsdreamer wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

Another Gaming Goat game store owner with zero presence on BGG until this whole thing happened? Why am I not surprised?

Every store I have gone to has had zero issues with Scythe being out of stock for very long. Euphoria as well (not sure why everyone NOW is thinking this is such an in-demand game - I love it, but it's not really flying off the shelves). I can't comment on Viticulture since I don't really care for it, so I don't really notice it one way or the other.

And again - how is it his fault if retailers aren't talking to him about it. All he can do is try to meet the demand that comes from the distributors.

Nice catch, but in fairness, Vesper6 has been on BGG since 2005. Unlike the other owner that is new to BGG as of today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Ross
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite local shop happens to be a Gaming Goat. The husband and wife team that owns it take pride in their location -- they have great prices, clean/safe location, and they really love the hobby.

So it's a bummer that SM won't be dealing with their store anymore...

I'll still be a fan (and champion) of Stonemaier, but I'm also still going to spend my money at my local Gaming Goat too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How can you not have known there was scarcity always of Viticulture, Scythe, and Euphoria? Stores are constantly trying to reorder them or have them backordered - do you not get this information?

--I get a monthly report from my broker indicating how many copies of each game we have in stock. My goal is to print enough games on an ongoing basis to ensure that number is never 0. Scythe sells through extremely quickly, so for that game in particular, that number does hit 0 quite often...and that's why we make a lot of Scythe. We've made nearly 300,000 units over the last 3 years--I don't consider that a strategy of scarcity.

The point of Nick's I was replying to is that I didn't know that some individual FLGS aren't getting Scythe on a regular basis. If they aren't getting it, who is getting all of those games from distributors? How are the stores not being covered? I'll talk to distributors about this. I'm wondering if their allocation systems too heavily favor large orders instead of stores that just want to have 1 or 2 copies from time to time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Michela
United States
Gurnee
IL
flag msg tools
motoyugota wrote:
volsdreamer wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

Actually, in the past we have tried to communicate this to him and he actually just does not listen. But you have to take my word for that /shrug.

So, we sell scythe daily for $56.99, it flies off shelves honestly, and for 2 or 3 years in a row it was not on our shelf for black friday of all times.

Distributors have backorders x1000 for the game, what does he think that is just for our good health? Oh no we do not actually need the game right now but we are desperately trying to backorder the game x100 all the time.

What exactly do you mean every shop has had zero issues with Scythe being out of stock for so long? Yes it is out of stock for so long and they just don't care?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Michael Bridge
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
chaoslegs wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
volsdreamer wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

Nice catch, but in fairness, Vesper6 has been on BGG since 2005. Unlike the other owner that is new to BGG as of today.

They were referring to volsdreamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Michela
United States
Gurnee
IL
flag msg tools
jameystegmaier wrote:
How can you not have known there was scarcity always of Viticulture, Scythe, and Euphoria? Stores are constantly trying to reorder them or have them backordered - do you not get this information?

--I get a monthly report from my broker indicating how many copies of each game we have in stock. My goal is to print enough games on an ongoing basis to ensure that number is never 0. Scythe sells through extremely quickly, so for that game in particular, that number does hit 0 quite often...and that's why we make a lot of Scythe. We've made nearly 300,000 units over the last 3 years--I don't consider that a strategy of scarcity.

The point of Nick's I was replying to is that I didn't know that some individual FLGS aren't getting Scythe on a regular basis. If they aren't getting it, who is getting all of those games from distributors? How are the stores not being covered? I'll talk to distributors about this. I'm wondering if their allocation systems too heavily favor large orders instead of stores that just want to have 1 or 2 copies from time to time.

Thanks for actually taking the time to respond to my snarky ass.

Here is what a typical Goat will try to have (apparently not that it matters anymore to you) - we would love to just order 8-12x copies of scythe and reorder as needed, we never can though we have to go all in every print to like 50x just so we have it on our shelves enough to last.

However even with this, as stated, this along with viticulture (which granted we order less of) has not been available to us during Black Friday, or other times. It still sells out, and we are still begging distributors to get them in for us ASAP. Feels very constant. We are good now since the last wave but hey, I guess this time it'll be gone and gone can't help that much since you don't want to engage with anyone of us. 22 individuals outside of one person who are just trying to run a game store and make ends meet.

tl;dr - yeah, i would love to order 1-2 copies from time to time but that isn't possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think you overcorrected predicting the demand for Wingspan?

--It's a good question, but we started printing Wingspan in August, which was before Between Two Castles' preorder.

When do you think you are going to get ahead on demand for Wingspan?

--It's hard to say. With 30,000 copies in circulation (at least after retailers get their copies next week), I would have thought that would be enough for a game that released just 2 months ago. We currently have 4 more printings in various stages of production, so hopefully we'll catch up at some point between now and October.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Michela
United States
Gurnee
IL
flag msg tools
mikebridge wrote:
chaoslegs wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
volsdreamer wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

Yeah so, if people care to know my background, I opened shop up coming from an MTG background of collecting, buying selling (vomits at the thought now) and actually only recently got into actually board gaming. I love the industry and I am getting more and more addicted to board games now myself. But I am new to this so yes, I have made a new account. You should see me more though on threads about games but i am a newbie for playing them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Kroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mikebridge wrote:
chaoslegs wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
volsdreamer wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

It did say another TGG with zero presence, so it kind of implied that both of them had zero presence on BGG before today. That was the basis of my comment.

I do wonder what sort of input the franchisee have over the public relations work of the CEO. Wonder if the contracts have something about when the parent company hurts their brand, if they have recourse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Werness
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
volsdreamer wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

My FLGS always has scythe and euphoria. What are you even talking about? How is it that you have just now created a BGG account being in the hobby?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick S
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:

Since this appears to have become an action item I should note that my observations were largely based on my experience in Q4/2018 and Q1/2019. I've been to 4-5 different stores in the past 4-6 weeks and they all had copies in stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pollmann
United States
Evergreen
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
I get a monthly report from my broker indicating how many copies of each game we have in stock. My goal is to print enough games on an ongoing basis to ensure that number is never 0. Scythe sells through extremely quickly, so for that game in particular, that number does hit 0 quite often...and that's why we make a lot of Scythe. We've made nearly 300,000 units over the last 3 years--I don't consider that a strategy of scarcity.
Is it possible that this entire issue of low supply, things ending up on Amazon instead of at FLGS' is caused by a communication issue with the broker being in the middle? What the other GG owner said here is true. When I opened my store in October, I could not get any copies of Scythe for over 2 months. GTS, Alliance, PHD were all barren of copies. If it is helpful I would be happy to chart out an inventory chart of that time period with exact dates of when I finally got copies in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Michela
United States
Gurnee
IL
flag msg tools
solorender wrote:
volsdreamer wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

My FLGS always has scythe and euphoria. What are you even talking about? How is it that you have just now created a BGG account being in the hobby?

Posted above why I have just now created a BGG account as I wasnt all in on the hobby before. And yeah, all transparency I would have made an account for this if i still played zero board games /shrug

How does your FLGS always have Scythe and Euphoria? Honest question because distributrs sure as heck never do. Only after theyre print runs. This just screams to me it sits on their shelf and never actually sells. Or happens to sell during that small week or two window on a reprint they can actually reorder it ....however euphoria has not been at distribution forever so that has to just be sitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This post has been removed by a moderator - Personal attack
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Euphoria did go out of stock for a few months. I held the new printing for 2 months while I was waiting for the expansion to arrive so I could release them simultaneously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This post has been removed by a moderator - Disruptive
John Kulp
United States
ARDMORE
PA
flag msg tools
Thank you! That clarifies my complaint and I understand much better now. Thank you for being so transparent about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible that this entire issue of low supply, things ending up on Amazon instead of at FLGS' is caused by a communication issue with the broker being in the middle?

--My broker pretty much just takes orders and ships them to distributors, and they handle allocations when necessary. So I'm not sure if it's a communication issue, but I think there are times when we need to adjust the allocation formula a bit. Since the Wingspan issues arose, I've been working more closely with them on those allocations.

What the other GG owner said here is true. When I opened my store in October, I could not get any copies of Scythe for over 2 months. GTS, Alliance, PHD were all barren of copies. If it is helpful I would be happy to chart out an inventory chart of that time period with exact dates of when I finally got copies in.

--I think Scythe is just a weird case--we make a ton of Scythe, and it sells out as soon as it arrives. It makes sense to me that distributors aren't holding onto inventory of it when they have buyers for it. I wonder if many of those buyers are Amazon third-party vendors who just buy it whenever they can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [19] |