Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
101 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] LANTERN a Solitaire Adventure - [Roll & Write Game Design Contest] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: pnp [+] roll&write [+] solo [+] lantern [+] [View All]
DeLaVega
Italy
flag msg tools
A solitaire Roll & Write Adventure for
ROLL & WRITE GAME DESIGN CONTEST

L A N T E R N

Designed by D.Di Maggio, Artworks by P.Briaud
Number of players: ​1 ​Duration:​ 10 minutes​ Age: ​7+
Needed to play: Adventure Sheet, Rules Sheet, 6 dice d6, and a pen/pencil.

What's happening at Last Fortress?
For months the Kingdom has not received news from the lookouts,
the lastmessages spoke of strange sightings from the East ... but for decades no one has been living in those territories anymore.
Flames rise in the sky and illuminate the destroyed fortress.
Begin your journey through the forest...

Description:

Face the enemies scattered in the map areas by realizing all the dice combinations in sequence.
Will you slay the dragon or will you die in the name of your kingdom?

"Lantern : A solitaire Roll & Write Adventure" won the 2019 R&W Game Design Contest

d10-1 Best Overall Game
d10-2 Best Solitaire Game
d10-4 Best Thematic Game
d10-5 Best Written Rules
d10-6 Best Original Artwork
d10-7 Best Innovative Mechanic Category

DOWNLOADS:

Lantern Rules Sheet v1.3 https://docdro.id/0Wu4IHU
Lantern Adventure Sheet v1.2 https://docdro.id/rc84AjO

I can't believe that this little game could make roll so many dice around the world!
Below some contributions from BGG users heart, still couldn't find the words to say thank you!

RULES TRANSLATIONS:

Lantern Rules Sheet_Spanish https://docdro.id/Bk9civK (translator Daniel De Monte)
Lantern Rules Sheet_Chinese https://docdro.id/6RIerJD (translator Xavier Hu)

COLORED VERSIONS:

Lantern Adventure Sheet v1.2_color https://docdro.id/Pdlkb3n (colorist Marianne Waage)
Lantern Adventure Sheet v1.2_color https://docdro.id/4znFfbI (colorist Francesco Botti)
Lantern Adventure Sheet v1.2_color https://docdro.id/ZEDCMv4 (colorist Francesco Botti)

VARIANTS:

Lantern "Abstract" Adventure Sheet https://docdro.id/zb9YniL (thanks Jeff Miller)
Lantern "Reworked" Rules Sheet https://docdro.id/VwV9v7o (thanks Andy Nicholas)
Lantern "Variant" Adventure & Rules Sheet https://docdro.id/dQExUWD (thanks Rachel Bruner)
Lantern "Variant" Adventure & Rules Sheet https://docdro.id/Dx3a8wQ (thanks Cheryl Leon)

Let me know if you have printed it,
hope you will have fun playing it as much i did designing it!

Below the changelog of the development:

July 16, 2019
Upload of Lantern Rules Sheet_Chinese
- Xavier Hu, a BGG user from Taiwan, uploaded the rules sheet translated in Chinese! 燈火規則!

July 15, 2019
Upload of Lantern Variants
- I collected all the variants uploaded as contributions in the thread replies and listed above with the credits.

July 11, 2019
Upload of Lantern Rules Sheet_Spanish
- Daniel De Monte, an argentinian BGG user, uploaded the rules sheet translated in Spanish! Thanks for sharing!

July 10, 2019
Upload of Lantern Adventure Sheet v1.2_color
- Francesco Botti, an italian illustrator, uploaded his colored versions, take a look!

July 07, 2019
Upload of Lantern Adventure Sheet v1.2_color
- Marianne Waage uploaded her personal version colored with the help of her son, simply amazing!

July 03, 2019
Upload of Lantern Rules Sheet v1.3
- A sentence has been added to clarify the "End of the Game" condition.

July 01, 2019
Lantern : A solitaire Roll & Write Adventure won the 2019 R&W Game Design Contest, files issued for the contest:
- Lantern Rules Sheet v1.2 https://docdro.id/ixPkLyg
- Lantern Adventure Sheet v1.2 https://docdro.id/rc84AjO

May 29, 2019
Upload of Lantern Rules Sheet v1.2
- More examples added to reply at frequently asked questions;
- Adventure Score updated for extra flavor;
- Overall rules syntax enhancement.

Upload of Lantern Adventure Sheet v1.2
- Aesthetic changes in the Experience area;
- Overall drawing enhancement.

May 23, 2019
Upload of Lantern Rules Sheet v1.1
- Preparation phase is now leaner and less constrained;
- Adventure Score added to compete and challenge other players;
- Overall rules syntax enhancement.

May 16, 2019
Upload of Lantern Adventure Sheet v1.1
- Zone 7 dice combination has been changed;
- Game mechanics information revised for a better reading over the background map zones;
- Overall drawing enhancement.

May 13, 2019
Upload of Lantern Rules Sheet v1.0
Upload of Lantern Adventure Sheet v1.0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] LANTERN - [Roll & Write Game Design Contest] - Components Available
I
LOVE
IT!

Did HeroQuest and Dungeon Degenerates get together and make a lil Roll n Write baby?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DeLaVega
Italy
flag msg tools
kzinti wrote:
I
LOVE
IT!

Did HeroQuest and Dungeon Degenerates get together and make a lil Roll n Write baby?

Thank you!

"One does not simply survive the 80s."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin David
Ireland
Non US or Canadian State/Province
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The game looks stunning, but I can't get a handle on the rules. It seems like you'd tried to make them as concise as possible, but sacrificed clarity. Where do I write the character's stats and what relevance do they have to the game?

You use the phrase "cross out a circle in the relevant space" a few times, but I have no idea what the relevant space is.

Do I have to tackle the locations in order? I can't help but notice that location 3 is harder than location 7 - is that intentional?

Gorgeous looking game though! I really dig the line art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DeLaVega
Italy
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot for your reply and questions!

robindavid wrote:
Where do I write the character's stats and what relevance do they have to the game?

According the "preparation" step in the rules sheet:
Roll 6 dice E Results are 5-4-3-3-2-2.
Assigns the highest result to Constitution E draw 5 small circles in the relevant space;
Assigns the lowest result to Expirence E mark 2 experience circles with a cross.
Assigns at your choice 1 die for each the ability E draw as many small circles equal to each die results.
Assings the remaining die result to the Bonfire E draw as many small crosses equal to the die result in the relevant space on the bonfire scroll.

Constitution and ability points can be spent to modify the dice results as explained in the "how to play" step in the rules sheet.

robindavid wrote:
You use the phrase "cross out a circle in the relevant space" a few times, but I have no idea what the relevant space is.

Constitution and each ability have a relevant space in the adventure sheet, the long line between the legend symbol (shown in the rules sheet) and the corresponding explanatory drawing.
In this space you will draw the small circles representing the constitution or ability points you can spend during your adventure.

robindavid wrote:
Do I have to tackle the locations in order?

Yes! From Zone 1 to Zone 8.

"Starting from the first zone, mark with a cross the small circle below the indication of the zone number."
You are now inside the zone number one,then when you obtain the required combination
"enter the next zone by marking the circle below the zone number with a small cross"
now you are entering the zone number two.

robindavid wrote:
I can't help but notice that location 3 is harder than location 7 - is that intentional?

At first sight he may look like an old mad sorcerer
but he is waiting for you right there at the top of the tower
which was the headquarters of the guild of lookouts of the kingdom
and have you wondered why the dragon has not burned him yet?

I hope I have clarified these points thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MadLad Designs
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
Check out My Games!
badge
YouTube/MadLadDesigns
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with Robin David, the rules do need to be explained better as I didn't know which were the 'relevant' areas.

For example, I didn't know which circles to cross of under experience as there are 3 lines of circles and you don't mention which line.

Also with bonfire you don't really mention anything about the scroll or how to use it:

"Note. Entering Bonfire (Zone 5),instead of dealing with enemies, you earn a constitution point by adding a small circle in the relevant space and mark with a cross as many experience circles as the crosses assigned in the zone during the preparation phase."

I'm really not sure what that means as it's confusing. As it stands, the rules are written rather confusingly and need to be written for people like me who needs everything explaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin David
Ireland
Non US or Canadian State/Province
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response. I would NEVER had deduced those answers from the original rules sheet - I recommend a major revision of it, with examples, etc.

It does seem a little odd that the difficulty doesn't increase at each level, but if that's intentional, then so be it.

All the best with the contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DeLaVega
Italy
flag msg tools
Thank you for reading and commenting the Rules sheet!

Now I will start reviewing it based on these early comments,
Hope my answers have clarified the issues raised at this stage
so the rules are more clear for anyone who wants to download and print it!

Let me know if any other part is not clear or bad written, i love this discussion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MadLad Designs
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
Check out My Games!
badge
YouTube/MadLadDesigns
mbmbmbmbmb
The numbers for each area could be made to stand out a bit more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Ramsey
msg tools
I've played the game twice and here are some comments about the manual.
- The bonfire part is really conusing (as already said). I read it about 20 times and still wasn't sure. I think what you meant to say was that you get the amount of experience crosses you put there in the beginning when you reach the bonfire? If that's the case, you should just let the player write a number here. The writing crosses is just confusing. If you mean something else, then let me know it is.
- When you let the player draw crosses and then also have crosses on the map meaning "any result" is confusing. Crosses now have 2 different meanings in your game.
- Same with "mark with a cross". Now there's another meaning. "Mark the box", "fill in the box" or "check the circle" or "check one EXPERIENCE" or something like that will do. But be consistent, sometimes you talk about circles, sometimes about points, sometimes about space. Defin them somewhere if you think it will confuse people.
- I wasn't sure what the bonfire was. I had to look really good to find it. You talk about "zone 5", but the word "zone" has not been mentioned before.
- Consider changing the order of "how to play". Why do I want to know what happens when I have filled in an "experience line" first if I don't even know how I get experience in the first place? At that point the reader doesn't even know (s)he should roll the dice. I would suggest the following (in your case, I think this works better):

1. What does a player do first in his turn? Talk about rolling. Or look at the level first, whatever you think is more important to do first.
2. What is the goal in a level? So, what does the roll mean for the player in achieving that goal? So here you can talk about the meaning of the numbers/symbols in each level and what the player has to achieve in order to defeat the enemy. And say that the 1-value does something special.
3. How can the player mitigate the roll in order to defeat the enemy? Abilities.
4. What happens when the player has achieved the goal?
5. Say to repeat above until all enemies are defeated.
6. What happens when the player cannot achieve the goal?

Maybe move the "end of the game"-part to an earlier place as it makes it clear what the main goal of the game is. The "object of the game" doesn't state this clearly. It tells that you can defeat enemies using dice, but not how to win the game.

- I would only let the player check the circle at the level when the enemy is defeated. That way the player has a sense of achievement, it's like crossing the enemy off.

Here are some comments about the gameplay:
- It plays fast and quick. I'm not really sure if I found the decisions that interesting, but I thought it was fun to play. I think mostly because of the luck-factor that makes it exciting, but still enough to mitigate the dice results.
- Maybe I got lucky all the time, but I've finished it both times I played it. Maybe that is why I think the decisions weren't that interesting, because I was never on the verge of running out of options. Both times I still had a lot abilities left at the last enemy (and used most of them then).
- For some reason for me it wasn't clear if I could reroll the 1's and if they would be part of the dice combinations you have to roll. The way it is instructed (probably because this is stated first instead of talking about the symbols) I had the feeling that the dice could not be used for the dice combinations (but most probably isn't like this).
- To mark an experience circle is told twice, back to back. Not really sure if you meant something else with the "note".

About the art/geaphic design:
- I really love the art, it has that feel of an old map. There is a feeling of depth, even though it is just line-art and it is printer friendly.
- Even though the art is beautiful, the enemies (and numbers as stated before) blend into the background and you really need to focus to see what you are fighting against. That's a shame, because this is a game about fighting the enemies, so having them stand out some more will evoke that feeling more. Maybe give them names.
- The banner at the Bonfire really stands out, I'm not really sure why this is done. Is this more important to know than the enemies? Why not also have banners for the enemies?
- By using a line (next to icons critical hit, counter, etc.) you make the player think that they should write something down there. That is why that part (with the relevant spaces) seems so confusing. You should just go the "Ganz Schon Clever" route. Use grey circles players circle first and then fill in when they use the ability. Look at the manual to see how they describe it, because they do a good job describing the same thing you're trying to do.
- It's a bit weird that you have the text under the icons in the manual, but not in the game. For me, when you talk about "constitution" have to go to a previous place in the manual to look up the icon and then to the game to find that icon. It's an extra I'm not sure is needed.

Hope this helps. Keep up the good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DeLaVega
Italy
flag msg tools
Many thanks for your reply and feedbacks!

These days I'll revise the Rules sheet, so thanks again for the part below that will help me a lot to make a more clear overall view.
douggie wrote:
1. What does a player do first in his turn? Talk about rolling. Or look at the level first, whatever you think is more important to do first.
2. What is the goal in a level? So, what does the roll mean for the player in achieving that goal? So here you can talk about the meaning of the numbers/symbols in each level and what the player has to achieve in order to defeat the enemy. And say that the 1-value does something special.
3. How can the player mitigate the roll in order to defeat the enemy? Abilities.
4. What happens when the player has achieved the goal?
5. Say to repeat above until all enemies are defeated.
6. What happens when the player cannot achieve the goal?

Maybe move the "end of the game"-part to an earlier place as it makes it clear what the main goal of the game is. The "object of the game" doesn't state this clearly. It tells that you can defeat enemies using dice, but not how to win the game.

...and I'm really thinking about this action below, especially for the gameplay feeling as you said.
douggie wrote:
I would only let the player check the circle at the level when the enemy is defeated. That way the player has a sense of achievement, it's like crossing the enemy off.

Anyway, the old mad sorcerer in Zone 7 find out what Robin David's saying about him and he's back with one more die in his combination.
Please find in the first post the link to the updated Lantern Adventure Sheet!

Nickydude wrote:
The numbers for each area could be made to stand out a bit more.

The white stroke around the numbers is a bit larger to stand out,
and... that's a new art!

Let's keep in touch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Claxton
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, what a fun little game! The icons are very clear and I love the map artwork! Well done, very creative.

Now, for some constructive criticism:

A) Rules Syntax (to improve readability and understanding)
1) When referring to the 5 main attributes, be consistent. Always capitalize & bold Constitution, Experience, Critical Hit, Counter Attack and Magic Spell.
2) Call those attributes by 1 name: characteristics or abilities or skills or even attributes. If you want to keep Constitution separate (because of its special importance in the game) that's fine, but use 1 group name for the others.
3) When saying 'mark with a cross...' or 'mark an (attribute) circle' use 'cross off 1 (attribute) circle' instead.
4) When saying 'for each result [pic of die]' use 'for each die result of [pic of die]' instead.
5) When saying 'equal results' use 'equal die results' (that is, if you mean to say: 'die results that show equal numbers')
6) You might want to consider drawing 9 faint circles for the attributes instead of having the player draw them on the lines (and 6 Experience circles at the Bonfire Zone). A player would understand that they have to draw over the faded circle to 'activate it' at the beginning and when gaining a new experience level and then cross it off to 'use it'. It just makes it clearer as it is in line with the existing circles for Experience
7) I would make all circles a little bigger (especially the Zone circles - they blend in with the background)

B) Rules Clarification (to improve gameplay)
1) How to play: you mention 'during this step' in the 1st paragraph, but what step is this? Maybe divide gameplay into 4 steps: a) Enter Zone, b) Level up, c) Combat Roll, and d) Dice Manipulation. Then you can clearly say 'during step b) only'.
2) If you don't roll the required Zone combination, MUST you adjust/reroll your dice until your dice results meet the Zone requirements? I assume so, but you might want to explicitly state this.
3) I had to re-read the 'Bonfire' Zone several times before understanding what it meant. I'd rephrase/restructure it as follows:
Entering ​Bonfire ​(Zone 5)
Rejoice! Instead of dealing with enemies, you get to rest and reflect upon your journey so far. Gain 1 Constitution ​(add 1 circle to your Constitution below). Cross off as many ​Experience​ circles below as there are Experience circles activated in the Bonfire Zone during the preparation phase.

Hope this helps a bit! I write and do lay-out designs for manuals and game toolkits for a living, so feel free to ask advice. I'm happy to help. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DeLaVega
Italy
flag msg tools
arcubal wrote:
Hope this helps a bit! I write and do lay-out designs for manuals and game toolkits for a living, so feel free to ask advice. I'm happy to help. Good luck!

Thanks a lot Marcel! For sure I'll bother you in few days laugh, tomorrow I'll bring the prototype to a BoardGameDesigners meeting event here in Italy to receive more feedbacks from live playtesting .

I'm collecting all the replies and trying to review the rules sheet these days, I'll upload the new revision during the week.

Meanwhile I'm also trying to introduce something like "zone rules" for example each zone can have, as well the dice combination, the number of max. dice available to roll, the "banned" dice face to achieve the combination and the "frozen" face that cannot be rerolled or modified during the fighting.

By the way this mechanic will not be implemented before the contest end, but I'm happy to share what's going on in my mind! :tankard;

Thanks to everyone again and have a good weekend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in with much of the same feedback as the others...

Probably has been mentioned:

Replicate the symbols on the game sheet to the rules for critical hit, counter attack and magic spell especially.

Clarify the 5th spot. I had no idea what the banner was for. I rolled a 5 during set up and just figured that checked off area 5. When I got to area 5, I had rolled a 6 for the Constitution during setup, so I marked off 6 more experience circles. That filled all available experience circles.

Clarify that the "X" must be the same number repeated. I could interpret the rules (marked v 1.0) allow any number to be there...

What happens when I've filled all experience circles and roll a '1?' I just ignored it. But, on area 6, I rolled three '1' and used those for the 'X' spots since there were three of them.

As mentioned previously, "relevant" and "realizing" work, but are different phrasing than what many of us are used to. "Matching" may work better in place of "realizing."

At this point in playtesting/development, don't hesitate to go overboard with the rules. It is easier to cut & condense once everyone figures out what is going on.

For the record, I did make it through all 8 areas with relative ease. I still had 4 Constitution spots left and two Magic Spells left.

And like the others, the artwork really stands out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DeLaVega
Italy
flag msg tools
govmiller wrote:
I'm in with much of the same feedback as the others...

Thanks a lot Eric for the feedback and the picture, I'm honored!
It's amazing that, after only 4 days, i'm receiving all these feedbacks and it's good that are, more or less, all about the same points.

govmiller wrote:
For the record, I did make it through all 8 areas with relative ease. I still had 4 Constitution spots left and two Magic Spells left.

Impressive! cool
As already told in the previous post, yesterday I attended a BoardGameDesing event here in Italy and the game was playtested by 10 brand new players,
the average playing time was 13 minutes including the rules explanation and reduced under 9 minutes after the first try, only 3 persons succeeded in slaying the dragon.
The winning rate at the end of the day was still around 30%, I think that is a good ratio and one feedback there was to introduce a "score" for the ones who beat the game.
I think it's a good idea, in the rules sheet I'll add the fact to receive a score, maybe at the end of the game if you defeat the dragon you will receive 1 points for each ability and constitution points spent, the best score off course is 0.
This fact will increase the replayability and add a sort of competition if you are sharing the experience with friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Goulart
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for sharing this. I’ve played the game a few times and won once. Reading over the other responses, I’m not sure I have much new to add, but I’ll try.

I would move the information about X symbols higher up. My first playthrough I didn’t read the rules closely enough and somehow didn’t realize the [X]’s had to match until I got to round 4 (I was treating them like wilds). Something like, “Match the dice results to the combination required by the zone. [X]’s correspond to any result…”

I love your scoresheet. I also think the action iconography is good. It might be useful to have circles instead of blanks by each attribute, maybe a lighter color that the player circles when the attribute is gained then marks out when it is used like That’s Pretty Clever.

It did take me a minute to figure out how to play but you’ve gotten a lot of feedback on the rulesheet already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DeLaVega
Italy
flag msg tools
Good evening to everyone!

I have just uploaded the new revision of the rules sheet, more or less all the feedbacks were taken in consideration and hope that I've clarified most of the first issues.

As suggested, I introduced the "steps" in HOW TO PLAY section and fixed keywords.

The biggest update is the Adventure Score that allows you to compete and challenge your friends trying to get the best score.

if there are other points to be clarified do not hesitate to reply here in the forum.

Thanks to all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MadLad Designs
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
Check out My Games!
badge
YouTube/MadLadDesigns
mbmbmbmbmb
"- White border around zone numbers, enemies and circles has been increased for clarity; "

I don't see this on the V1.1. I see you've changed Zone 7 and the boxes around for the other zones but I can't see any difference about the borders or circles for clarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DeLaVega
Italy
flag msg tools
Nickydude wrote:
"- White border around zone numbers, enemies and circles has been increased for clarity; "

I don't see this on the V1.1. I see you've changed Zone 7 and the boxes around for the other zones but I can't see any difference about the borders or circles for clarity.

Maybe I didn't express myself well, this Animated GIF show what I was referring to ( White border on v.1.0 vs v.1.1).

You are right, maybe is not so impactful but we spent and we are spending time to achieve a sort of balance for the whole Adventure Sheet; another revision with other enhancement will be uploaded during the next week before the deadline of the contest.

Anyway I think is better to change the sentece with " - Game mechanics information revised for a better reading over the background map zones."

Can I ask you if you could check the Lantern Rules Sheet v.1.1.?
I have only next week left before the closing of the BGG RW contest and the language barrier doesn't help .

Thanks a lot! Your replies are always appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Claxton
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi DeLaVegaz!

It's looking great! Nice work on improving the readability. Just a few minor corrections this time, but otherwise you're set to go.

1) '6 dice d6' -> '6 d6 dice'
2) Remember to Capitalize and embolden (zone -> Zone, ability -> Ability, constitution -> Constitution etc.)
3) 'Draw, over the line next to the relevant ability symbol, a quantity' -> 'Above the line, next to the relevant Ability, draw a number'
4) 'over the line inside the Bonfire Scroll' -> 'above the line (inside the bonfire scroll)'
5) 'If you obtain the dice combination required by the zone you have slayed the enemies and you can proceed leaving the zone; vice versa you have to continue fighting the enemies.' -> "If you roll the dice combination, required by the Zone, then you have defeated the enemies and you can proceed to STEP 3 (Leaving the Zone). If not, continue to STEP 2 (Fighting the enemies).'
6) 'Magic Spell' -> 'Ability - Magic Spell'
7) 'relevant symbol, you can continue to repeat' -> 'relevant symbol. You can repeat'
8) 'Note: the symbol x and x corresponds' -> 'Note: the symbols x and x correspond'
9) 'Once the required dice combination is obtained, enemies are defeated and you can proceed leaving the zone.' -> 'Once the required dice combination is rolled, the enemies are defeated and you can proceed to STEP 3 (Leaving the Zone).'
10) 'during this step, you cannot' -> 'during this step. You cannot'
11) 'Go ahead and proceed the journey entering the next zone and repeat the previous steps.' -> 'Proceed your journey by entering the next Zone. Go to STEP 1 (Entering the Zone).'
12) 'by drawing it over the line' -> '(draw it above the line)'
13) '; vice versa, you lose' -> '. You lose'
14) 'while fighting the enemies' -> 'during STEP 2 (Fighting the enemies)'
15) 'If you won' -> 'If you won,'

P.S. You might want to consider making a little Adventure Score table (for extra flavor) like:
10+ Bumbling novice: you might want to consider going back to the farm. The grazing cows and field rabbits are more your type of challenge.
6-9 Promising adventurer: proudly displaying your battle scars, you might be up for another adventure... after a lengthy rest at the local inn.
3-5 Master in arms: your reputation proceeds you as you are welcomed back a local hero. Free ale and lodging until your next venture into lands unknown.
1-2 Heroic swashbuckler: far and wide your exploits are passed on. Gifts are bestowed upon you and your name is immortalized in song.
0 Legendary Lantern Lord: you have done the impossible. The Last Fortress is rebuilt as your new home and palace to the land, for you have been crowned its king.

...or something like that. Enjoy and good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Uitz
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

just read the rulebook and wondered if you ever considered a difficulty system to make the game easier or harder.

Instead of rolling 6d6 at the start of the game, the player gets 21 points to distribute among the six areas (max. 6 per area) for a normal game.
Easy would be 25 points, hard 18 points to distribute (numbers chosen arbitrarily).

Dark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DeLaVega
Italy
flag msg tools
DarkPadawan wrote:
Hi,

just read the rulebook and wondered if you ever considered a difficulty system to make the game easier or harder.

Instead of rolling 6d6 at the start of the game, the player gets 21 points to distribute among the six areas (max. 6 per area) for a normal game.
Easy would be 25 points, hard 18 points to distribute (numbers chosen arbitrarily).

Dark

Hey Dark! Thanks for your interest!
Uhm... I've never thought about it, at the moment I can't even imagine how it might work eheheh, I'll try it as a playtest but I'm afraid that it will make the preparation phase unnecessarily complex, we will see...

However these days I'm thinking about a minimum amount of points required at first roll during the preparation phase. This quantity can be the 18 points minimum as you suggest.

Let's keep in touch and thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Bianconi
msg tools

Last night I played some match of Lantern.
Truly a very interesting game, I enjoyed it a lot.

In the image my epic defeat against the powerful Dragon ... I am dead! : D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DeLaVega
Italy
flag msg tools
Re: [WIP] LANTERN a Solitaire Adventure - [Roll & Write Game Design Contest] - Contest Ready
Good evening, starting from this moment the game has passed into "contest ready" phase.

Thanks again to everyone and don't forget to vote!
It was amazing all the interest in this little game.

Let's keep us in touch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Miller
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] LANTERN a Solitaire Adventure - [Roll & Write Game Design Contest] - Contest Ready
This is a really cool game. I’ve played about 5 times and just won! It was hard to put down until I won.

Three suggestions:

1. For the End of Game: I think a lose condition should be, “or can’t play.” I ran into a situation in which I had 3 Critical Hits left, but couldn’t re-roll so there was noting I could do. I could have just turned them over and used up the critical hits, but that would not advance my game.

2. Clarify if you can wrap around from 1 to 6 and vice versa for Counter Attack.

3. Put the number and completion circles in a larger circle on the map so they are easy to read.

Thanks for making this game!!

Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |