Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoffrey Steenberge
United States
Painted Post
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After High Society, I wanted to play something a little meatier to end the night. Rob decided he was done so Ray, Steve, and I pulled out the old favorite, Puerto Rico. After so many plays, I have lowered my rating for this game. I still think it is a great one, but because the initial set up is the same, there are common opening moves and some games tend to repeat previous ones. Anyways, both Ray & I went for the factory strategy early on while Steve set up a large indigo plantation along with sugar and corn and started shipping with 2 quarries to support his purchases. Ray and I were even most of the game, I had shipped a little more, but he had more money. Steve grabbed the first big building early on with Ray and I each taking one as well. In the second to last round I got stuck with the first choice and no good options. Steve had grabbed a second big building a turn before and if I crafted or traded then Ray would take the last one. However, if I didn't then Ray would trade and take building for his first pick to start the next round. This is what happened and the game ended the following turn. Steve ended up being the winner with 2 big buildings and by far the most goods shipped. I was second, the lack of a second big building being the difference. Ray, despite having 2 big building, had not shipped enough goods to compete. I think that with 3 players it is definitely advantageous to be the one playing doing something different . Puerto Rico may not get played as often now as it once did, but it is still a great game, one of my top 10, and I'm sure it will see more play for years to come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.