Dean Thomas
Australia
Bannockburn
Queensland
flag msg tools
'The Double' 2010/11 Champions 2011/12 'The Double' 2013/14
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Khet is an abstract strategy game for two players. It is something like a cross between Checkers and Chess and yet nothing like them at all.

Mechanics & Game Play:
By moving and rotating pieces each player attempts to illuminate their opponents Pharaoh.

On each players turn they must either.....

Move A Piece: Each piece can move one square in any direction (orthogonal or diagonal). There are a number of squares that are either red or silver in colour. No red piece may move into a silver square and vice-versa.

Rotate A Piece: Instead of moving a piece, the player may rotate any of their pieces 90 degrees in either direction.

Built into the board are two Class 2 lasers. After the player has moved or rotated a piece the must fire their laser. The laser will bounce off mirrors on the pieces and end up either hitting one of the raised edges of the board or hitting a non mirrored side of a piece. If the latter happens the piece is immediately removed, if that piece happened to be a Pharaoh that player loses.

The Pieces:
There are four different types of piece, each piece has either zero, one or two mirrors that are used to deflect laser beams. The pieces are as follows.....

Pharaoh: The Pharaoh (like the king in Chess) is the weakest, yet most important, piece on the board. The Pharaoh has no mirrors, and thus cannot deflect laser beams. If a player's Pharaoh is ever hit with a laser that player loses.

Obelisk: Weak, yet not entirely useless. Obelisks have no mirrors, and thus are destroyed if the laser ever hits them. Obelisks are used as a body shield for the Pharaoh and will hopefully buy enough time for more powerful pieces to relocate and defend. Obelisks have a special rule that allow them to stack if an Obelisk moves into a square that already contains a friendly Obelisk. The resulting piece can move as a single entity. Each laser strike ony destroys one of the Obelisks. No Obelisk stack can be higher than two. In all 'official' set ups Obelisks begin the game in two stacks of two.

Pyramid: The most plentiful piece in the game with seven Pyramids per side. The Pyramid has a single mirror and is therefore safe from attack from two sides. Equally skilled on attack or defence, games will often be won or lost on the backs of the Pyramids.

Djed: The two Djed per side are the most powerful pieces in the game, by a long way. Their two mirrors make them completely invulnerable to the laser. The Djed have a special movement rule that allow them to trade places with a Pyramid or Obelisk from either side.

Strategy:
Much like Chess, entire books could be written about the strategy of Khet. But there are a few things to remember. There are two lasters on the board, and if you ignore one of them when you are moving you may well be opening yourself up to attack from the other. Djed are especially notorious for this as their two mirrors bounce lasers from all four directions.

It is possible to win the game with any number of strategies. Attack, defence and counter attack are all viable.

Interesting Concepts:
The part of the game that is most unlike Chess or Checkers is the setup. In Chess or Checkers both sides begin the game on one side of the board and have to develop the game from there. Khet begins in a predetermined position that has already been developed. Different setups provide different play experiences. Some make for a brutal attacking game, while other cater for a more patient defensive game.

In addition to the three 'official' setups, the Khet website has a tool that allows players to develop their own custom layouts which makes for nearly infinite possibilities.

Components:
The first thing that struck me about this game was the size of the box, it is huge. All of the pieces are plastic as is the board. The components seem to be of fairly high quality.

Number Of Players:
The game only caters for two players.

Play Time:
Play time could drastically vary. They say 20 minutes is the usual time taken, but with two players of high skill it could be much more and with two players of vastly differing skills it could be much less.

Overall:
I love it. It has tactics and strategy and LASERS!!!!! It is one of the best two player games I have played since I found Chess all those long years ago.

For more information go to www.Khet.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryzy Cox
msg tools
Hello,

I am not sure if I have put this in the right place but I noticed that at www.khetplayers.org.uk there are some new set ups for khet.

I happended to be looking around and came across it. Do you know of any other sites that do set ups?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Thomas
Australia
Bannockburn
Queensland
flag msg tools
'The Double' 2010/11 Champions 2011/12 'The Double' 2013/14
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ramadillo wrote:
Hello,

I am not sure if I have put this in the right place but I noticed that at www.khetplayers.org.uk there are some new set ups for khet.

I happended to be looking around and came across it. Do you know of any other sites that do set ups?

I'm fairly new to the game. I know there is a generator on www.Khet.Com whether some people publish them elsewhere.

I have created a couple of layouts with the generator, one of which (an offensive variation on the 'Classic' layout, that I have posted at http://blademaster777.livejournal.com/7725.html

If you do find some otherood layouts I'd love to hear about them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.