Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Waite
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First a little bit of context; I'm pretty new to wargames having only played Memoir '44 and Field Commander: Alexander to date (Although I do have D-Day at Tarawa and Field Commander: Napoleon on my shelf).

As a new dad (snore) I'm really struggling to get these meatier games to my table so I went looking for something lighter, simpler, and with a smaller footprint; I found Battle for Moscow (first edition).

I've read the rules and setup the board. As I'm pretty limited in terms of free time, I intend to add new posts to this thread as I progress through each turn (I'll aim for 1 turn every day or so).

Setup and deployment

The Soviet units are all the same strength so deploying them was easy. For the German units I tried to place some strong units at the break in the front line and also kept some Pazer units back, particularly in the north, where I hope to break through.

I have no idea if this is sensible or not - time will tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Waite
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn 1 - Germans

Attempting to Puch through at various points in the front line

Some enemy retreats. Messed up strategically already as forgot to consider terrain when declaring attacks. As a result I was severely penalised for attacking defensive and forest positions resulting in 1 unit loss.

Gained ground in the break in the front line with panzer unit moving forward - and in the south. The situation at the end of the German Turn 1...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etien
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
1/114th Air Assault
badge
Huey's Forward
mbmbmbmbmb
A similar hex & counter classic I got started with decades ago is Stalingrad, that you can probably pick up for a song.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Yang
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent choice! When I was a new dad this was also my game of choice to get into war games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Waite
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smic wrote:
A similar hex & counter classic I got started with decades ago is Stalingrad, that you can probably pick up for a song.

Thanks for the tip! It looks good. I'll keep an eye out for a copy on eBay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Waite
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deadeyedshooter8 wrote:
Excellent choice! When I was a new dad this was also my game of choice to get into war games.

Great to hear that im taking a well trodden path what did you move on to after this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Waite
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn 1 - Soviets

Soviet reinforcements in the North comprising new units and increased strength units on front line. Some surrounded Soviet units unable to increase strength as no communication with the east side of the map.

The 43rd army take advantage of rail movement in the North to engage the front line. Attack orders are issued.

End of attack phase results in heavy casualties on the Soviet side (didn't properly consider strength values so lots of 1:1 battles). However, Germans were pushed back at two points in the north and south.

49th, 50th, and 33rd move to try and bolster the front line in the North.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Waite
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn 2 - Germans

Panzer unit is reinforced and Panzers advance in both North and South.

Attack orders are issued, this time taking into consideration the defensive terrain and combat values

Some fortunate unit positioning means the loss of a Soviet unit in the North as it retreats through a German unit zone of control.

A key retreat in the South sees an opportunity to advance, with further Soviet losses solidifying the German advance in the south.

The Germans are then able to make huge advances in the south, flanking the Soviets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Waite
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn 2 - Soviets

The Soviets opt to strengthen their front line units and then utilise the railway to first reinforce Moscow and then head south; reinforcing Kaluga and bringing that unit to defend Moscow.

Combat orders are focused on watering down the enemy units and preventing Panzer movement.

Really successful turn for the Soviets as they manage to force several German units to retreat. They then advance the unit from Moscow to create a tighter zone of control in preparation for several turns of bad weather.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Waite
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn 3 - Germans

Bad weather brings mud which in turn scuppers the German advancement; 2 months are anticipated so progress will be slow.

Unfortunately the Germans couldn't reinforce the Panzer in the north as it didn't have a clean line of communication to the west edge. Instead they add a half strength unit to Orel in the south (a city last occupied by the Germans).

Unit movement is limited to 1 hex this turn making forests impassible. Additionally combat strength is halved when attacking. These few turns are therefore going to be about careful advancement and trying to encourage retreat through 1:1 odds battles - risky.

Combat resulted in a half strength loss for one of the German panzer units and nothing else - so pretty ineffective.

Movement is slow but advancement is made on all fronts

Turn 3 - Soviets

The Soviets reinforce 2 half strength units and add 3 replacement units in Moscow, Mozhaisk, and Kaluga; attempting to surround Moscow

Rail movement to reinforce North from Moscow as Germans will not make it through the mud.

A single Soviet attack order as forces are too low in strength and numbers to win. At this stage trying to hold the line and bolster defences - But results in no effect.

Movement is used to apply pressure to the German front line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Waite
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn 4 - Germans

More bad weather plagues the German units. Even so they manage to replace a Panzer with a full strength unit.

Panzer movement is limited to a single unit in the south.

Battle orders are placed. A few carefully selected battles but with low odds, designed largely to force the Soviets to retreat if possible.

A retreat in the south means that a Soviet unit is eliminated, not being able to retreat without entering a German zone of control. Likewise in the north, an exchange results in 2 half unit reductions on the German side but a unit loss for the Soviets owing to a failed retreat.

Unit advancement in South but very slow.

Turn 4 - Soviets

The soviets have a trick up their sleeve by way of their 1st shock army which arrives just in time to occupy Moscow. With the weather forecast to improve on the next turn, reinforcements are focused on creating a defence around Moscow.

The rail movement phase is used to position troops as the railway is not affected by mud.

Attempts to disrupt the German units in three places where low strength units exist.

Some success pushing German units back in the north and even eliminating a German infantry unit. Unfortunately also suffered a unit loss in the north, weakening the defence.

Movement is about taking up positions in hexes with defensive zones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Waite
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn 5 - Germans

This is it. The mud has cleared and the German units are freed up with 3 turns remaining to take Moscow.

Combat orders are placed to cause as much damage as possible. The approach is aggressive to secure a victory before the Soviets can reinforce too much.

Successful combat phase with many losses and retreats on the Soviet side.

Free from the effects of the mud, the Germans are able to make rapid movement as they march on Moscow.

Turn 5 - Soviets

It's not looking good for the Soviets. However, they are able to bring in 4 new units and surround the German units advancing on Moscow. Additionally they are also able to strengthen their first shock army within Moscow making it a powerful defensive unit.

The focus for combat is on causing as many holes in the German attack as possible. Unfortunately options are limited with few units in a position to attack.

Some success. Panzer destroyed after exchange as it couldn't retreat without entering a Soviet zone of control.

Movement is then used to great affect to flood the German units and prevent their advance on Moscow.

The Soviets now appear to stand half a chance of defending Moscow with just 2 turns remaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Waite
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn 6 - Germans

A single Panzer unit moves closer to Moscow, the Germans have their work cut out.

Battles went perfectly resulting in 3 unit losses on the Soviet side; 2 of which because they couldn't retreat.

Movement focuses on surrounding Moscow. Next turn is the last chance for the Germans so they need to eliminate that first shock army!

Turn 6 - Soviets

The Soviets are able to replace 4 half strength units in the east with full strength counterparts - which could spell disaster for the Germans.

Soviet attacks are in place to disrupt the advance on Moscow. With any luck the Germans will not have enough unit strength to attack on the final turn.

A successful Soviet combat turn eliminates a number of German units. It now looks like the Germans have an impossible task ahead of them.

The Soviets hunker down to defend Moscow

Final turn - Germans

The Germans have only one option, to attack Moscow. Unfortunately they have no units capable of challenging the full strength first shock army in Moscow. All appears to be lost...

The fighting goes badly with many units failing to be effective. It's all over for the German army.

Final turn - soviets

The Soviets needn't do anything this turn but they decide to take out as many German units as possible.

Battle orders are placed.

Limited success but it doesn't matter as the Soviets occupy Moscow on the final turn, having successfully defended it throughout the game.

Conclusion

The Germans had two Panzer units positioned in the north at the end of the game which may have punched through - but it would have taken a few extra turns and they faced heavy opposition.

In the end, the large number of Soviet replacements secured the victory for the Soviets.

All in all a fun game worth the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.