Josh Foeller
United States
Auburn Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
A few weeks ago I saw an ad for a new book on board games (possibly not even out yet?), and now I can't remember the title or find the ad. It was actually a collection of essays, and if I remember correctly some of the authors are "big" names in the hobby. Can someone help me out?
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Newell
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: Anyone remember the title of a recent book on board game
Hobby Games: The 100 Best, edited by James Lowder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Foeller
United States
Auburn Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
That is the one. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Link: Hobby Games: The 100 Best

It looks very cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon says 2-3 months delivery but fortunately I tracked down a copy at an Australian web store (Milsims) and only have to wait a week...looking forward to this, there are some interesting pairings of writers with games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Very disappointed after all that...seems like a thousand or so words per essay is just enough time to say "This game is great because of..." and then a bunch of descriptive opinion which you could have picked up from BGG easily.

There were a few interesting tidbits and games I'd not come across before but mostly I found it a bit "meh"

Shame...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was great! Sure each essay wasn't as in-depth as it could be...but with 100 different authors I think it's a great taste of an interesting slice of the industry. Well worth the cost and an enjoyable read in my opinion.

Cheers.

Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregor McNish
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly enjoyed it too. What I really liked is most of the essays were about games their advocates had played 100s of times. And most of them were about wargames, rpgs and a few ccgs -- all genres of gaming I haven't had anything to do with in years.

It would be good to play a game 100s of times; play it solidly for a year or to, dream about it, scheme your next game with people that have played it as much; the meta-meta-game would be great.

But I've got too many games that need playing, so that's not going to happen. So reading about it is a glimpse into that other world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.