7 Posts

Sword & Sorcery» Forums » General

Subject: Correct Play Order? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Ruggles
msg tools
Hello all!

I'm planning on buying the expansions to the base game, but I'm not sure where to start. I seem to have found conflicting instructions on which order the expansions are meant to be played in.

BGG's Darkness Falls (2018) page states "contains act II of III".

BGG's Vastaryous' Lair (2017) page states "contains act III of III in the Immortal Souls Campaign".

BGG's Arcane Portal (2018) page doesn't say anything at all about the act number!

So apparently Act III was released before Act II? Am I reading this wrong?

Would somebody be able to place the expansions in the order they are meant to be played for me, please? That way, I only have to buy one game at a time!

Thank you so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no ACT 3.

Immortal Souls (base game) = ACT 1
Arcane Portal (optional sidequests) = ACT 1
Darkness Falls = ACT 2
Vastaryous Lair (optional mini-campaign for high-level heroes) = ACT 2

The order that I wrote them is the proper order to play them if you want to play the full campaign. If you want to get closure to the story without playing optional quests then you need Immortal Souls + Darkness Falls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ruggles
msg tools
Hey Vasiilis,

Thank you so much dude! I really appreciate you taking the time to explain that in full detail for me! I guess the info on the webpage must be a typo. Think I might just stick with Darkness Falls in that case.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruggie74 wrote:
Hey Vasiilis,

Thank you so much dude! I really appreciate you taking the time to explain that in full detail for me! I guess the info on the webpage must be a typo. Think I might just stick with Darkness Falls in that case.

Thanks again!

You are welcome. It's surely a typo.

I believe you may also like the rest of the expansions too but they have their quirks which may not be your cup of tea.

For example, Arcane Portal quests are waaay longer than usual. This means that they are also more epic but I understand some people cannot or will not want to spend 4+ hours playing a quest...

Vastaryous is also good but it uses monsters from the base set only (with a single exception of the Draconians which are really powerful but you'll meet them towards the end) while your Heroes are end-level quality. To balance this out the enemies are spawned in much higher numbers than usual. This means that your heroes are going to wipe the floor with them especially if you build them with good AOE effects. Some people may enjoy combat with lots of enemies that die easily while others may not like that they can effortlessly blow up whole groups of monsters in a high level quest.

In the end, you can't go wrong with Darkness Falls. Not only you'll get closure but the quests are interesting, different and dark with a proper good fight in the end. Easily the best expansion for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ruggles
msg tools
Oh, wow! Thanks for the thorough explanation! I may have to look into the possibility of the other expansions as well after I discuss with my girlfriend in that case! Darkness Falls sounds really epic though!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I would agree Darkness Falls is the best expansion and the others are not really that worthwhile.

Regarding Act 3, I think the original plan was to have three acts, but at some point Arcane Portal became part of Act 1 (sort of like 1.5). At least, that's my theory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Immortal Souls is the base game. It is Act I and characters are from levels 1-4. You cannot go beyond level 4 with this game.

Arcane Portal is optional in Act I and is for characters of level 2-4.

Darkness Falls is Act II. It is for characters level 4-6. After playing Immortal Souls, your characters should be at level 4 (unless you die too often). You cannot go beyond level 6.

Vastarious' Lair is Act II and is for characters up to level 7 which is the max.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.