Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the game, but I've read the rules and I'm curious how much memory this game really has.

Edit: I guess someone saw this post and fixed it!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Lockett
United Kingdom
Fishponds, Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair not much at all. I've never noticed it was tagged as a memory game. The only thing to remember are which teams you are in control of which you have markers for anyway and the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this game should be reevaluated in terms of mechanics. What mechanics would you all consider this game to have? Is that something that can be adjusted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Lockett
United Kingdom
Fishponds, Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I can think of it listed as a memory game for is that you can remember back to the world cup.

Yes it can be adjusted - It should be listed as a tile placement, sports strategy game. Card Game with random card draw. History genre maybe as it is recreating historical events. Yes they can be corrected on here but I can't quite remember how.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone fixed it. I think it should include: Hand Management and Dice rolling. It is also possible you could say variable player powers. Although each team doesn't have exactly different powers, they are ranked differently and thus the strategy to use them is quite different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Derrick
United Kingdom
Coventry
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting post. Designer here.
The Memory categorization was added to highlight the fact that you need to keep a mental note of the points scored in the group stages of the game. For instance, if you control 5 teams, you will want to keep track of how well they are doing. An example would be if you have Cameroon in the 2002 World Cup and you are winning against Ireland 2-1, drawing against Saudi Arabia 0-0 and losing to Germany 0-1; you will have 4 points at that stage of the game - you also need to know how the other teams are doing against each other by making mental notes of how many points each team has.
A single goal can completely change the placings in any particular group, so someone who can keep a mental track of all his teams and his opponents points after each card play will be able to judge his best play next turn.

Howver, having said all that, many players just don't want to get too deeply into the game, just enjoy it for the sheer fun element.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your response Shaun. That makes sense. Are you the one that removed the memory categorization from the entry? Maybe it does belong their after all. Perhaps with a bit of explanation in the information section.

I think when we see memory we think of a child's game. (at least I do) I suppose a lot of the games I play could be considered to have memory because you have to remember the plays that others have made and keep up with others' points to do the best you can.

I have bought this game and I'm waiting for it to be shipped. I can't wait to get it! I just hope I can get some of my game group together this week to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Derrick
United Kingdom
Coventry
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris, it wasn't me who removed the Memory categorization!
I can perfectly understand why you questioned it. I wasn't sure how to categorize it, but perhaps it is best to leave it out. There are not many players who take it 'that' seriously!

In a lot of the games I play, the main aim seems to be to get the Yellow and Grey teams as far as possible through the rounds which, if successful this is as good as winning the game!!
Just for the record, in 35 World Cup 2002 games, I have never seen a yellow team advance beyond the Quarter-Finals. However, I did once get Saudi Arabia (grey) to the final and lost on penalties to England. China once got to the semi-finals in one of the early playtest games.

I am sure you will have lots of fun playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PAUL OCONNOR
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this should be identified as an area majority control game, as you seek to score just enough goals to get through to the next round (thus controlling the group as an area), while tryinig to preserve resources (cards) for later matches. In this it presents the players with some of the same tactical puzzles as a game like El Grande, where you are trying to come in first in a number of simultaneous contests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Area control is exactly what I was thinking too. You may be onto something there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PAUL OCONNOR
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisgmay wrote:
Area control is exactly what I was thinking too. You may be onto something there.

I played the game for the first time last night (and enjoyed it). I'm not much of a soccer fan so perhaps I was able to see the game on more of a mechanical level than the football-mad fans that make up most of this game's players. I do think the theme is nicely expressed through the mechanics but I did definitely find this primarily an area control/area majority kind of system. Good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.