Hide
8 Posts

Zombicide» Forums » General

Subject: Best Expansion for New Weapons and Zombies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Skull Bones
msg tools
I own the base Zombicide Game: Season 1. I like the game but it is pretty basic, and I would love more variety in zombie types and weapons. What would people recommend to get for a. best expansion for new zombie types and b. best expansion for new weapons/equipment cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray R.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the Black Plague (and Green Horde) universe because "magic" allows you to explain away all sorts of otherwise impossible weapons, effects and enemy abilities.

In "modern" Zombicide, I felt like Season 3 was easily the best. The Skinner zombies make it more dangerous to use weapons that roll a ton of dice (double SMG, chainsaw, etc). Season 3 also adds zone tokens so large indoor maps can be more interesting and it uses dice to randomize the spawning and to (partially) scale to the number of player characters (you can backport those changes to any version).

I quite liked the Toxic and Berserker zombies. Toxics make it dangerous to use melee weapons and Beserkers can't be killed with ranged weapons. If you find someone selling Toxic City Mall and Prison Outbreak cheap, go for it, but you could just get Toxic Crowd and Angry Zombies and then just mix them right into your spawn deck or mix all the figures together and pull them randomly when a zombie of that type (walker, fatty, abomb) is needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zscully wrote:
I own the base Zombicide Game: Season 1. I like the game but it is pretty basic, and I would love more variety in zombie types and weapons. What would people recommend to get for a. best expansion for new zombie types and b. best expansion for new weapons/equipment cards.

The most variety for the buck is Season 2. It includes 2 types of zombies. Add in Toxic City Mall (or the Toxic Crowd small-box expansion) and you've got a great mix of complementary zombie types: the Season 2 Berserkers are immune to most ranged attacks and the Toxic zombies really need to be killed with ranged attacks (they explode, damaging melee combatants, when they're killed). Having both types in a mob forces Survivors to make uncomfortable decisions at times, which increases the engagement with the game. Season 2 also has a wider array of nice weapons than S1, including the all-powerful Cement Saw, which does 3 damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rayr wrote:
In "modern" Zombicide, I felt like Season 3 was easily the best. The Skinner zombies make it more dangerous...

They're also the most fidgety, adding extra rules which trigger "only sometimes" (which means they often get overlooked in the heat of play), violating the Zen-like elegance of the rules for non-Skinner zombies. IMHO the Skinners are the single worst edition to the whole franchise, for that one reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin Frost
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
rayr wrote:
In "modern" Zombicide, I felt like Season 3 was easily the best. The Skinner zombies make it more dangerous...

They're also the most fidgety, adding extra rules which trigger "only sometimes" (which means they often get overlooked in the heat of play), violating the Zen-like elegance of the rules for non-Skinner zombies. IMHO the Skinners are the single worst edition to the whole franchise, for that one reason.

That's funny! We NEVER play without them. In fact, all plain zombies are skinners in our games. It's a little tougher and we feel, more thematic. But, to each their own. I'd also vote for Season 3 - a lot of new characters, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I added in Toxic City Mall which is great and just bought a set of Angry Zombies and Zombie Dogs (sorry Dogz) which mixes things up nicely enough for me on a limited budget.

I'm eyeing the crows as they look interesting but haven't committed yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ibbo wrote:
I added in Toxic City Mall which is great and just bought a set of Angry Zombies and Zombie Dogs (sorry Dogz).

How do you like the dogz? i have them but never use them because them getting three actions per activation, mixed with their back-of-the-line target priority, makes me unashamedly pee my pants blush. They seem (without me actually having tried them) to be stupidly difficult.

The Crowz, on the other hand, can move 3 spaces but only have a single Action, so they're basically like glorified Walkers (and therefore not really challenging).

If you get the chance/budget for Angry Neighbors, the "Seeker" zombies it adds add a great deal of tension and unpredictability. Each time you draw a Seeker zombie spawn card, all Seekers currently on the board get an activation before placing the new Seekers. Plus they activate during the normal zombie turn. This means that you never really know when they're going to activate and a poorly-timed surge of Seeker spawns can quickly wipe a party out. They've killed more of my former Survivors than any other zombie type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Ibbo wrote:
I added in Toxic City Mall which is great and just bought a set of Angry Zombies and Zombie Dogs (sorry Dogz).

How do you like the dogz? i have them but never use them because them getting three actions per activation, mixed with their back-of-the-line target priority, makes me unashamedly pee my pants blush. They seem (without me actually having tried them) to be stupidly difficult.

The Crowz, on the other hand, can move 3 spaces but only have a single Action, so they're basically like glorified Walkers (and therefore not really challenging).

If you get the chance/budget for Angry Neighbors, the "Seeker" zombies it adds add a great deal of tension and unpredictability. Each time you draw a Seeker zombie spawn card, all Seekers currently on the board get an activation before placing the new Seekers. Plus they activate during the normal zombie turn. This means that you never really know when they're going to activate and a poorly-timed surge of Seeker spawns can quickly wipe a party out. They've killed more of my former Survivors than any other zombie type.

Oh yes, I almost forgot Angry Neighbours - I did think this would be a good value addition too so it's nice to get the recommendation on that.

Dogz - you should pee your pants! I really like them, I find them scarier than the abomination. You do need to water them down with a good stack of other z cards but that's not exactly an advantage either!

The thing I liked about the crows was that it seemed quite easy to forget they move directly toward you ignoring walls - that seemed a fun change up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.