Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alastair Cornish
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello there I just picked up Hammer of the Scots and have had great fun with the first couple of games. There were however a couple of questions I hope you can help with...

1) Wintering and England. Assuming King Edward is not in England what happens to non-Noble units in England, do they remain on the board (since they are in England not Scotland?)

2 follow on Q) If the units do not remain on the board then can Edward winter in England to keep them there, can he do so for numerous turns in a row (since he's in England not Scotland where you can't winter for two turns in a row).

3) When wintering in Scotland with Edward which units does he preserve, is it only infantry (which may not otherwise fit into the castle restrictions) or does it include knights, archers, hobelars etc. which are normally removed each winter?

4) The rules say to remove English archers in winter, what about the Welsh?

5) If my lone noble is attacked by a player and I bring in a Norse block to reinforce does it come in in the 2nd round of combat or is it part of the main defending force, (since the Norse blocks always form the main attacking force)?

I hope you can answer these for me. Thanks for your time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stimson
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:A few rules questions about this great game...
tigermuppetcut (#39729),

1. All Blocks in England are removed every winter.
2. Edward I may NOT winter in England.
3. Edward "preserves" ALL blocks that choose to stay
4. Welsch Infantry may stay
5. NOt sure what you mean by this? Sorry.

I think you should go to Columbiagames.com and download version 2.0 of the rules. All these questions have been cleared up, and many more issues addressed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tigermuppetcut wrote:
4) The rules say to remove English archers in winter, what about the Welsh?

Welsh archers are removed. Welsh infantry stays.

5) If my lone noble is attacked by a player and I bring in a Norse block to reinforce does it come in in the 2nd round of combat or is it part of the main defending force, (since the Norse blocks always form the main attacking force)?

Quoting from the rulebook: "Blocks moved by Player 2 to reinforce a battle started by Player 1 are always placed in reserve." So I'd say that rules over the Norse block rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Norcott
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari (#39753),
I would say that you HAVE to pick Norse as your main attack, you don't have a choice. This is better understood when you take the role that you pick the main attack group and it is NOT the first group that comes across.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just did a word search and then an read-scan of the new 2.0 rules and I can find no reference to the Norse always being part of the main attack.

Can someone please provide a rules section number reference?

Anyway, If the rule still exists, the answer to question 5 depends on how the rule is written - attack means attack, not defense. If it says "the main attacking group" then the answer to question 5 is that it would start in reserve and enter the battle in round 2 - just like any other reinforcing block.

Foob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol (#460699),

Never mind, the rule does not exist in version 2.0. I just found an answer from the designer on another thread dealing with this, and the rule was removed from version 2.0 of the rules. The Norse do not have to be the main attack - they are treated as any other attacking force (note that they always move alone and will always be their own "group", so if they are declaired the main attack, they will attack first and alone.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.