United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've decided that I'm going to start paring down my game collection.

One of my first steps is to sell off games that I have multiple versions of.

Among my first cut-downs, I have to decide if I'm going to keep Colossal Arena or its predecesor, Titan: the Arena.

Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of the most bizarre requests I have ever seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colossal Arena is slightly better, don't you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like them both, why not sell the one that will make you more money?

Doesn't Titan hold a bit more value then Arena? (don't really know)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carlton
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm. This is a tough one. It sounds like you're trying to save some room. If I'm not mistaken, Colossal is quite a bit larger than Titanic, so I'd advise you to eliminate the former.

Whatever you do, don't trade for Arena Maximus!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:

Among my first cut-downs, I have to decide if I'm going to keep Colossal Arena or its predecesor, Titan: the Arena.

Any suggestions?

No problems, you can send me the excess of your collection to me, since you're already sending me a game! Just need to change the size of the package and include everything you don't want in your game, you can still keep them checked as own, but they won't take place on your shelves... devil

I know nothing of those 2 games, so I can't comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
while I like the look of TtA better, you get extra critters in Colossal, so I think you'd have to keep that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:

Any suggestions?

I really don't understand posts like these.

Do you really need total strangers to decide this for you? It sounds to me like you've already made the decision, and are checking to see if we'll affirm it.

Am I right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:

Any suggestions?

I really don't understand posts like these.

Do you really need total strangers to decide this for you? It sounds to me like you've already made the decision, and are checking to see if we'll affirm it.

Am I right?

No, you're wrong.

I've always believed in LEARNING about a potential market before wading into it, either as a buyer or a seller. I haven't put the two games side-by-side. I don't know if one has different rules from the other. I don't know which version people prefer, if given a choice. Do the additional creature(s) in Colossal Arean add to the game, or detract from it? I don't know any of this, and would like to know, in order to make an educated decision.

And I'm asking people which of the two they would keep if put in the same position. Is that such a terrible thing to ask?

Sorry if my discretion is such an affront to you. But thanks so much for your presumption.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
J.L.Robert wrote:
Eldard wrote:
Am I right?

No, you're wrong.

Since you obviously don't give a shit and have played neither game and are going to be obnoxious about it when someone asks you questions about your "question to the world" then just roll some dice and pick either one to get rid of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan O'Rourke
United States
Tobyhanna
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think this guy's catching an awful lot of grief for a pretty simple and innocent question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Liumas wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:
Eldard wrote:
Am I right?

No, you're wrong.

Since you obviously don't give a shit and have played neither game and are going to be obnoxious about it when someone asks you questions about your "question to the world" then just roll some dice and pick either one to get rid of.

Since you obviously have no clue about me and my collection, and have clearly failed in your clairvoyance classes (I have played both, just about 8-9 years apart from one another...sorry that I don't remember every nuance of every game I've played), maybe you should recheck this thread to see who was being confrontational first.

Yup, this reinforces my belief that I cannot recommend Boardgamegeek.com to anyone but diehard boardgame collectors. The hostility people receive for posing honest, sincere inquiries simply isn't worth the grief for the casual gamer. Too many uptight snobs for someone not willing to put up with (or ignore) them.

Seriously...would I be getting this much shit if I had asked which one I should BUY, instead of which one I should part with? What's the difference in asking?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, sometimes the hostility here makes me a bit apalled.

If you're looking for what game is most popular/most easy to sell/most $$$, I'm afraid I can't help you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am honestly sad that my donation money is going toward serving "content" such as this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With your later comments, I'm tempted to suggest getting rid of Titan: Areana, instead of Colosal Arena. The reason is that you've played them 8-9 years apart. This means that you've haven't played Titan for a few years, right? Then I'd sell/trade the one with the highest value. Especially, since you haven't played it in almost 10 years.

I don't think that's a silly question, I'm starting to ask myself the same type of questions for games in my collection!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and have played Colossal Arena and I recently got to play Titan: the Arena

The only real differences are the artwork and the extra creatures in Colossal.

I like the artwork better for Titan: the Arena and I like the option of the new creatures for Colossal.

If you rarely play, I'd probably keep Titan because you won't need the variety to keep it interesting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Join our Berks Boardgamers group (Hamburg, Pa) via Facebook!
badge
Ah, the diabolical Dice … a word of caution; don't throw them when you're alone. The fiends lack loyalty, and their notion of nourishment is quite disturbing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the opposite problem, I own Colossal Arena but have always wanted Titan: The Arena too. I just like the idea of owning the original game. The extra characters are nice though, so I'd be hard pressed to get rid of either. Just keep both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Adrian Bolt wrote:
I think Simon has the idea: what is the basis for your paring down - popularity/best game/salability/box size? For popularity/best game you could look at the ratings, for salability it's the marketplace and price history, for box size you have them to compare. It seems a bit pointless asking when you know your reasoning far better than we can and can do some research yourself. All you'll get here is a poll. In my case the answer would be Titan because Colossal didn't seem different enough to be worth buying.

Colossal Arena and Titan: the Arena have the same database entry so presumably the only change is cosmetic. So it's entirely subjective and up to you.

And Eric has already beaten me to the 'I'll give free unwanted games a good home' pitch. However he can't offer them a nice sea voyage before they arrive...

This is the crux of my dilemma. Do the plusses in favor of one outweigh those of the other?

Do I keep Titan: the Arena because of a) better artwork, b) streamlined play (due to fewer creatures), and c) higher value? Or do I keep Colossal Arena for a) most updated rules, b) increased strategy (because of the extra creatures), and c) profitability of Titan: the Arena?

I'd like to thank those who are offering their honest feedback and opinions on which I should keep and which I should part with. I personally haven't decided whether or not to sell or trade it. But, gauging what other people would do will certainly help me make my final decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without the insert in Colossal you could probably combine both of them into one box. At least I think you could put the whole Titan box in Colossal. I didn't have them side by side to compare

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played and enjoyed both. I would probably wind up keeping Colossal Arena and getting rid of Titan the Arena. The latter might still hold a bit more value (although the ideal time to sell it would have been before the reprint obviously). The artwork on Titan the Arena may well be slightly less gaudy but this is a "monster slugathon" game and neither one is going to be marked by subtlety of artwork. The extra creatures would swing the issue for me however. My edition of CA (and perhaps all copies) has a problem with the endgame. I forget the specifics but there are posts in the game folder from Fantasy Flight that address this. From what I recall this problem can be solved by using the original game rules. Not sure if this will affect your decision as the new version can be played correctly with a small rules fix from the original but I thought I'd mention it.

By the way, this is a perfectly legitimate request for information in my opinion. The title is very upfront about the kind of post this is. Anyone looking for other forms of "content" can very easily avoid this thread if they so choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to keep my wife from reading this thread, as it shows some people ARE capabale of trimming their collections! I have both, and will keep both. (I even have a second unopened copy of Titan). Having played both, I like the original slightly better. My wife defintiely prefers the original as she likes the art.

My advice. Build an extra storage shed and keep everything.

Sorry, I know that's not very helpful, but I do think it's a legitimate question to be asking. Good luck with the scaling down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Colorado_Jeff wrote:
I'm going to keep my wife from reading this thread, as it shows some people ARE capabale of trimming their collections! I have both, and will keep both. (I even have a second unopened copy of Titan). Having played both, I like the original slightly better. My wife defintiely prefers the original as she likes the art.

My advice. Build an extra storage shed and keep everything.

Sorry, I know that's not very helpful, but I do think it's a legitimate question to be asking. Good luck with the scaling down.

I appreciate the candor. Quite honestly, this is one of the minor parts of my scale down. The big chunk will be eBaying the 6 Europa wargames I've acquired over the past 7 months. I decided that I will not realistically have a chance to get to learn this game properly, much less have an opportunity to play Grand Europa (especially since they are revising the first game...AGAIN...at the expense of reissuing other, more difficult to obtain modules).

Plus I'll be parting with several games that I've acquired, but never really liked (Tide of Iron will go at my first chance to part with it without having to pay postage to mail off the beast).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Pavone
United Kingdom
Chippenham
wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Liumas wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:
Eldard wrote:
Am I right?

No, you're wrong.

It's postings like this that make me despair. The original question was polite in nature and all responses in this thread have been civilised (if sometimes bemused) up to your response. I don't know if you're trolling or what but I thought the geek was the place to go for *friendly* conversation and discussion: Lambasting someone for asking a question you think is stupid or pointless (which you obviously must judging by your response) isn't in the spirit of the geek.

If you note the forum guidelines:
----
# Use common courtesy in your posts.
# Don't abuse, harass, mock, insult, stalk, demean, threaten, belittle, or otherwise attack other users, even if they started it, they deserve it, or they are public figures or people who can take it.
---snip!---

I don't really think you've stuck to either point.
Just a minor point to think about.
Ta very much
Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not everyone on this site is a jerk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
Not everyone on this site is a jerk.

Very true. I know that my personal network has grown from my time here. Even local contacts have been expanded because of my exposure to BGG.

However, it only takes one or two negative experiences to turn away a casual gamer from this site. I don't know about the opinions of others, but I've never considered gaming to be mainstream enough to callously turn away the curious or casual fan for the sake of appearing to be clever or superior.

I hope that BGG doesn't spawn some sort of "luderati" who feel the need to determine who is or isn't worthy of being a part of this open community. We certainly don't need a gaming equivalent of the "Prawn Sandwich Brigade," as Roy Keane so elegantly put it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.