Popular Tags: [View All]
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished this job and...WTF?

First, I didn’t quite finish before the doom track ran out but I did reveal the final room. I saw the C interest token.

First, I didn’t see much of a difference between spawning the fight on your own terms vs running out the doom track. Once Rasputin spawns, I cannot see how you can win. With only 2 cubes each round, the limited actions are quite crippling. Furthermore, Rasputin’s deck has 2 spawn cards and he draws two per round! It’s a fairly shallow deck and I was getting constant enemies on the board. I spent an hour clearing out enemies, only to have 2-4 more spawn and attack. After that hour, I just gave up. I hadn’t even gotten to the C token at that point and everybody was badly wounded with no end in site.

So...insanely hard. I don’t even know how triggering the conflict makes any difference.

On that note, I looked at the scenario a bit more. If I’m reading it correctly...the C token will spawn in the Lead player’s space when the Doom track runs out.
So...to win, all agents just have to clear the first room, stand in the spawn next to the starting area (all of them) and then wait for the doom track to run out.
At that point, the C token spawns in the leading agent’s area, as does Rasputin and a tiny handful of enemies. Clear enemies (a lot less than if you walked through the whole map and were spread out). Walk back into the starting area.

So unless somebody can correct that...this scenario seems broken (hard) and each to break (easy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle McKinley
United States
Selden
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the game in front of me to check, but the big difference between running out of time and triggering the conflict yourself is the number of card draws for Rasputin. If the doom track runs out, Rasputin gets to draw two boss cards per round. If you trigger the confrontation yourself then he only draws one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tev Kaber
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had the Doom Track trigger, so Rasputin's Ghost got 2 cards per round, but managed to beat him, though it was dicey at one point.

When Rasputin's Ghost does his illusion ability (I forget the specific card name) he temporarily removes himself from the board and is replaced with a minion. When he does that, at the end of that round the agents get 3 action cubes as normal (they also don't suffer the -1 to tests for the next round). With that, running the unconscious agent as a relay race, and destroying lots of minions using agent special abilities, we managed to beat the scenario - though Hellboy fell to Rasputin's massive ranged attack.

We were playing with 4 agents - Hellboy, Liz, Trevor, and Johann - maybe with less agents it's tougher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cordova
TN
flag msg tools
mb
So far it looks like, especially with less than 3-4 agents, you're just going to hit a brick wall with your face. Next time you play the scenario, it's all about the Meta-game, where you make sure you're exactly where you need to be when things trigger, you bring very specific items, and most of the time you're going to have to bring Hellboy on the team.

We just don't play with 2 agents anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Sachsen
flag msg tools
"The only thing you are going to see, is the burning hand of overdue justice." - Lobster Johnson
badge
“There are only three forms of high art: the symphony, the illustrated children's book and the board game.” - Saga
mbmbmbmbmb
We played it with Horned Hellboy and the Lobster. The illusion round was very helpful. Hellboy pulled all the attention towards him and got beaten down. This gave the Lobster enough time to reach the exit. A very heroic and movie-like ending.

Yes this is a very hard scenario and fighting a ghost is not that much fun. I haven't read all the cards, but someone else in this forum already mentioned that this scenario can be made very easy. It's a pity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hysler wrote:
I don't have the game in front of me to check, but the big difference between running out of time and triggering the conflict yourself is the number of card draws for Rasputin. If the doom track runs out, Rasputin gets to draw two boss cards per round. If you trigger the confrontation yourself then he only draws one.

Ahh, I see this now. So there is incentive to get to the room before time runs out. I can see how this is much more playable if you can pull that off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jorl wrote:
We played it with Horned Hellboy and the Lobster. The illusion round was very helpful. Hellboy pulled all the attention towards him and got beaten down. This gave the Lobster enough time to reach the exit. A very heroic and movie-like ending.

Yes this is a very hard scenario and fighting a ghost is not that much fun. I haven't read all the cards, but someone else in this forum already mentioned that this scenario can be made very easy. It's a pity.

So it looks like this scenario is more of a puzzle to solve than a replayable story. If I were to play it again, and not try to ‘cheese’ out the scenario (By never actually trying to look past the first door), then I really don’t see the incentive to get that many clues.

This is a game of resource (action) management and those actions are precious. I wasted a few actions on getting clues for insight tokens. I ended up with 5 of them. I only took 1 shot at Rasputin just to try. Did 2 measly damage to him and abandoned that train of thought. In retrospect, there was little reason to get those tokens if you don’t plan on blasting him repeatedly. You seem to be much better off using those actions to get to the goal and keeping him at his 1 action/turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A G
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Hey, where does it talk about Rasputin's ghost getting one action card rather than 2? I cannot seem to find it anywhere.

Just played this and lost horribly, swamped by frog monsters. We made it to the secret room but didn't interact in time so the doom tracker got us... so its a moot point. The only place i can see to build the Boss's deck is on the back of card 3, but it also says draw 2 for each turn? I hope i am missing something...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
G_asa wrote:
Hey, where does it talk about Rasputin's ghost getting one action card rather than 2? I cannot seem to find it anywhere.

Just played this and lost horribly, swamped by frog monsters. We made it to the secret room but didn't interact in time so the doom tracker got us... so its a moot point. The only place i can see to build the Boss's deck is on the back of card 3, but it also says draw 2 for each turn? I hope i am missing something...

I also had to have a good look. Card 3 (back) has the Doomed confrontation. Card 7 (front) had the good confrontation.

Card 7 does not indicate for the ghost to draw 2 cards per turn. Everything else is the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lumberton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone actually beaten this scenario with two agents? This was the first scenario I selected to play as a solo game (playing two agents) because it is listed as medium difficulty, and I wanted to ease into this game. Oh boy!! I have failed this mission three times in a row miserably!! If this is medium difficulty I am NOT looking forward to trying the hard difficulty scenarios. Has this game been balanced for two Agents or what??! I mean, seriously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pohrawg wrote:
Has anyone actually beaten this scenario with two agents? This was the first scenario I selected to play as a solo game (playing two agents) because it is listed as medium difficulty, and I wanted to ease into this game. Oh boy!! I have failed this mission three times in a row miserably!! If this is medium difficulty I am NOT looking forward to trying the hard difficulty scenarios. Has this game been balanced for two Agents or what??! I mean, seriously.

I’ve seen this comment before in another thread. You get a few less enemies and a bit more gear but otherwise, everything is the same. This includes big things like the boss’s health (which is surprising) and room spawns (meaning you have to defeat more enemies with less actions and less overall health).

So I don’t know how much testing went into playing with only 2 characters. It does seem a bit off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lumberton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarimrune wrote:
Pohrawg wrote:

I’ve seen this comment before in another thread. You get a few less enemies and a bit more gear but otherwise, everything is the same. This includes big things like the boss’s health (which is surprising) and room spawns (meaning you have to defeat more enemies with less actions and less overall health).

So I don’t know how much testing went into playing with only 2 characters. It does seem a bit off.

I mean, with two Agents, I literally CANNOT keep up with the amount of enemies that spawn on a turn to turn basis. In late game, it's a struggle to even kill two guys in one turn, when you have all of these injury penalties, and your weapons are out of ammo. I dunno, maybe I need to ditch using backup agents, and focus on upgraded weapons, or get guys in a group for concussion grenades or something. But MAN, is it damn near impossible. I think I at least better hand pick the agents I play with. Certainly Hellboy, and maybe fire lady combined will get me to the damage I need to be dealing every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Sachsen
flag msg tools
"The only thing you are going to see, is the burning hand of overdue justice." - Lobster Johnson
badge
“There are only three forms of high art: the symphony, the illustrated children's book and the board game.” - Saga
mbmbmbmbmb
Pohrawg wrote:
Has anyone actually beaten this scenario with two agents?
Yes we did on our first play (see five comments above you). We were lucky. I'm quite sure this is not easily reproducible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lumberton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jorl wrote:
Pohrawg wrote:
Yes we did on our first play (see five comments above you). We were lucky. I'm quite sure this is not easily reproducible.

It doesn't sound like you cleared all of the minions, if Hellboy got beaten down. The scenario says no minions can be on the board at the end. Also, I do not have these expansion Agents!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Sachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pohrawg wrote:
jorl wrote:
Pohrawg wrote:

It doesn't sound like you cleared all of the minions, if Hellboy got beaten down. The scenario says no minions can be on the board at the end. Also, I do not have these expansion Agents!
blush You are right. Somehow I forgot that the minions would keep us from winning. Too bad. Then there was no way we could have won this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lumberton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jorl wrote:
Pohrawg wrote:
jorl wrote:
Pohrawg wrote:

blush You are right. Somehow I forgot that the minions would keep us from winning. Too bad. Then there was no way we could have won this game.

I guess that would be a decent fix for two agents for this scenario and just get rid of the minion requirement. That is a feat in and of itself to accomplish to get back to the exit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cordova
TN
flag msg tools
mb
This is not specific to this scenario (Although it was an absolute nightmare with 2 agents),but we never play with 2 agents anymore. The game boils down to going from point A to point B while mowing down everything in your path. Ideally you get clues along the way.
With 4 agents you have the action cubes needed for that, as well as specialized roles for any situation. You can also clear at least 1 room per turn (Which is pretty much how you win).

The game crushes you if you trigger the doom event instead of beating the clock. While multiple agents give you fewer turns, you’re often getting them back because of the character weaknesses you put in the doom deck.

You also tend to need to take time more often with fewer agents. Some agents are also a lot worse with only 2 agents, as they have to take time to function. If you have 2 agents and Roger is your “beater”, you’re going to be rolling yellow dice on turn 2.Taking time is really, really bad. Taking time and drawing the 2 doom card pretty much means that you have little to no chance of avoiding the doom triggered event.

If and when Daimio gets released, I hope he gets a mechanic to mitigate the effects of taking time. It’s an entire phase of the game that we just don’t use, which devalues characters and items that rely on it, and makes remote-support backup agents pointless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. G.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think the confrontation of this case is extremly hard with only 2 agents. Played with Hellboy and Johann and I was only able to drag my missing Agent along one area before I got overrun by Froggies. shake

When it comes to Ghosts - Who you gonna call?

Edit:

Played the mission today with 3 agents: Hellboy, Liz and Lobster and it was a flawless victory!

Lobster Johnson is highly recommended in this case - his ability to be able to make up to 3 Shoot actions on one turn is the ideal weapon against Rasputin's Ghost: You can shoot at him 3 times, using only 1 insight token to hurt and finally stunn him.

I also got lucky with the "Deck of Doom". I drew 3 Doom cards that didn't advance the tracker, so I got the easiest confrontation ending possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
After attempting this scenario four times with only HB and Abe, and then reading through this chain, I added Liz to the mix and believe I hit a pretty solid strategy for cracking this case:

As noted above, starting the confrontation on your terms is critical. Rasputin's double draw is literally and figuratively a killer. I started the confrontation after doing a rest phase, so had no minions on the board, (and having a clear path back to the start really helps), all agents at full health and all weapons reloaded. I also had gathered six insight tokens, which are critical to this strategy.

Essentially, the key I found was to stun Rasputin during every agent phase. I've seen some discussion on other threads related to this case about what should happen when he gets stunned. My interpretation of the rules for this is informed by the standard rules for a stunned enemy: when they're activated, they simply stand up and do nothing else. So, if you can stun Rasputin every turn he never gets to flip over a boss behavior card, which means he never spawns new minions or attacks. This strategy is totally based on that interpretation, so let me know if you disagree with it. The case file card governing how that works says his health goes back up to 6 at the end phase after being stunned, but doesn't say he becomes un-stunned, hence why I'm leaning on the standard rules for a stunned enemy.

I had HB go into the room at first to interact with the point of interest (the injured agent) and kick off the confrontation. He then delivered the first stun to Rasputin and got the agent on his way back to the start. I then had Liz hang back in the area just outside of the hidden room Rasputin spawns in and had her use her ranged attack with armor piercing bullets (which reduces enemy resilience by 2) to keep him knocked down. This allowed Abe and HB to use their actions to leapfrog the injured agent back to safety. All told, Rasputin was only ever able to truly active once, on the initial enemy phase of the confrontation.

I'm curious what others think of this approach. Let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls