Piecepack» Forums » General

Subject: New to piecepack / Problem with Official Site rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all. I recently found out about the piecepack, possibly via the Decktet, and it looked interesting. I decided to give it a try, and ordered a copy of the Infinite Board Game. I also started looking for more information on the web. I found the wiki, and it has a lot of games listed, categorized, etc., but many of its rules are text-only. Most PDF-formatted rules were links to the official piecepack.org site, and I couldn't find rules here on BGG (not for games I looked at, anyway).

The problem is I can't connect to piecepack.org. It seems like the server IP address can't be found. I tried changing my DNS but it didn't help. Does anyone know if this problem can be fixed, and if so, how? Or is the official site permanently down at this point? Is there any other way to get the PDF versions of rules?

Thanks for your help! I'm looking forward to exploring this system more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Eccles
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Alarm! Alarm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hrm, the piecepack site is down for me too. It was up last time I used it about a week ago. So maybe it's temporary.

However, the piecepack site is owned by the people who run Mesomorph games, they were the first to make the piecepack commercially available. But they stopped making piecepacks ages ago and haven't updated the website in over 15 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Sula
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Be sure to check out the files section for the Piecepack game page. It contains large files with PDF rules for many games from piecepack.org. Start with this file, for example, and explore from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not know about that book, thanks (although it is over a decade old).

You can get the PDF files but entering the URLs into archive.org ('The Wayback Machine'). You will get a calendar of times that the PDF file was downloaded; click on one of the links for the most recent (such as the date above the timeline).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hale-Evans
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I messaged you on Twitter:

Have you thought about using the Internet Archive Wayback Machine to find the PDFs, like this?

https://web.archive.org/web/20161226094329/http://www.piecepack.org/rules/DungeonCrawl.pdf

If piecepack.org is down for good, that's certainly how I'm going to retrieve the PDFs there for uploading to the wiki.

(BoardGameGeek mangles complex URLS. Copy and paste the whole line above to see the Dungeon Crawl PDF.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hale-Evans
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGameGeek has some good piecepack info, but in my experience, it has only a fraction of the information at the Piecepack Wiki:

http://www.ludism.org/ppwiki

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hale-Evans
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The giant piecepack rule anthologies are a good idea. It should be possible to split them up and recover many games if some can't be recovered with the Wayback Machine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I just lost the response I typed, I'll be brief.

Thanks for confirming the official site issue isn't just me or my internet. Maybe/Hopefully it's temporary, but I guess time will tell.

I did find the compiled rules here on BGG and downloaded them. They have way more games than I'm interested in, being a solo player, but can still be useful.

Being off Twitter more than I'm I hadn't seen the tweet about the Wayback Machine. I tried Google's cache of the pages, but that didn't work well for the PDFs. The Wayback Machine looks like it's a lot better though, so I may give that a try when I have more time. Thanks for the suggestions to use it.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, the official site is working again. I saw the news on Facebook. I guess it was just bad timing for me, since the site's downtime just happened to coincide with when I got interested in piecepack and was looking for information about it. At least it's up again now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Eccles
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Alarm! Alarm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for letting us know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dronak wrote:
Hi, all. I recently found out about the piecepack, possibly via the Decktet, and it looked interesting. I decided to give it a try, and ordered a copy of the Infinite Board Game. I also started looking for more information on the web. I found the wiki, and it has a lot of games listed, categorized, etc., but many of its rules are text-only.
Does that cause a problem when trying to play them? If so, can you explain a bit further?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:
Dronak wrote:
Hi, all. I recently found out about the piecepack, possibly via the Decktet, and it looked interesting. I decided to give it a try, and ordered a copy of the Infinite Board Game. I also started looking for more information on the web. I found the wiki, and it has a lot of games listed, categorized, etc., but many of its rules are text-only.
Does that cause a problem when trying to play them? If so, can you explain a bit further?
Most of the games I looked at were generally OK in the text-only version, though they did tend to have things like odd line breaks in them. So in general, no, being text-only isn't a serious problem.

However, I also remember at least one game where the text-only version didn't display the tile layout properly: Black Pawn Trucking. Compare the board in the image at the end of the PDF rules to that of the text-only rules. Big difference. There's no way I would have gotten the correct layout from the text-only rules. I thought there was a second game like this, but I can't seem to find it quickly, so I might be mistaken. I've been looking at a lot of piecepack stuff recently and might have forgotten exactly what I saw where.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dronak wrote:
gamesbook wrote:
Dronak wrote:
Most of the games I looked at were generally OK in the text-only version, though they did tend to have things like odd line breaks in them. So in general, no, being text-only isn't a serious problem.

However, I also remember at least one game where the text-only version didn't display the tile layout properly: Black Pawn Trucking. Compare the board in the image at the end of the PDF rules to that of the text-only rules. Big difference. There's no way I would have gotten the correct layout from the text-only rules. I thought there was a second game like this, but I can't seem to find it quickly, so I might be mistaken. I've been looking at a lot of piecepack stuff recently and might have forgotten exactly what I saw where.
Ok, that makes sense. The reason I asked is that many, many moons ago I had a small side-project converting text from the wiki into "standardized" PDFs (I suppose a bit like Looney Labs did recently with their Pyramid Arcade project tho' with much less design flair). But I don't think that covers your issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hale-Evans
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All text-only versions of rulesets have a corresponding "normal" ruleset too, usually a nicely formatted PDF with illustrations.

The text-only versions are not there to be played. They are only there for searchability, because the wiki software has a hard time searching for keywords within PDFs.

Folks, if you have a question about the wiki, you'll get a much faster response if you post it ON the wiki than at the end of a thread on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls