14 Posts

Hellboy: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can you boost/assist while stunned? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Digital Blaine
msg tools
mbmb
My thought is that you use boosts and assists to burn your three action cubes then you get to stand up for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cordova
TN
flag msg tools
mb
Pro strats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Sachsen
flag msg tools
"The only thing you are going to see, is the burning hand of overdue justice." - Lobster Johnson
badge
“There are only three forms of high art: the symphony, the illustrated children's book and the board game.” - Saga
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't allow assisting although I see no rule against it. I highly doubt that this was intended. I would argue that assisting is something similar to an action in this case.
Boosting your defense when stunned sounds not that thematic, but I would like and use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook page 22 wrote:

STUN
Some rules (like the Stun Grenade requisition card)
cause targets to be stunned.

A stunned character is laid down on its side, still in
the same area.

• When an Agent attacks a stunned Enemy, they
gain one upgrade.
• When a stunned Agent defends against an
attack, they suffer one downgrade.

When a stunned Enemy is activated in the Enemy
phase, they stand up and do nothing else.

A stunned Agent cannot make any actions. They
can stand up by spending two action cubes in the
Agent phase. Stunned agents must use their
action cubes to stand up, and can do nothing else in
that round.
Stunned backup agents must use their
action cube to stand up, and can do nothing else in
that round.

Emphasis mine. Like in most dungeon crawlers, if you get stunned you spend your entire next turn getting up. I would say you cannot use your cubes to assist/boost for the exact reason you gave - it would allow you to get up for free and essentially negate the stun automatically. That was obviously not the designer's intent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In one of the FAQs I believe it says you can still use you’re third cube if you spend two to stand. I found it a bit odd when the rules say you can’t do anything else. So I’ve been allowing to play the last cube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Sachsen
flag msg tools
"The only thing you are going to see, is the burning hand of overdue justice." - Lobster Johnson
badge
“There are only three forms of high art: the symphony, the illustrated children's book and the board game.” - Saga
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there different version of the rulebook online?
There is a typo in the one that was uploaded to BGG: Hellboy: The Board Game PDF Rulebook
The last two sentences are the same. The rule for (normal) agents seems to be missing.
page 22 wrote:
Agent phase. Stunned backup agents must use their
that round. Stunned backup agents must use their
that round.

@swirlsaepi
What is the source of your quote?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Sachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
typo360 wrote:
In one of the FAQs I believe it says you can still use you’re third cube if you spend two to stand. I found it a bit odd when the rules say you can’t do anything else. So I’ve been allowing to play the last cube.

If you use the third cube after standing up, you can do whatever you want. You can't do anything else as long as you are stunned. These rules make sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here it is from the FAQ file. I feel this overrules rulebook as errata.

Stunned Agents spend two of their action cubes to stand up. What can they do with their third?
Anything they like! As soon as they stand up they are no longer stunned, so they no longer suffer any restrictions on what they can do. You’ve got one action... make it count!

If a Stunned Agent has fewer than two Action Cubes at the start of the Agent phase (because of Injuries or other game effects), what happens?
They spend all their available action cubes – even if that’s somehow none! – and stand up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Sachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm splitting hairs here
It's an FAQ, not an errata. So it overrules nothing, but tries to make it clearer. I think this would not have been necessary as both say the same. I will check my printed rulebook when I come home. I'm curious if the rules are like the PDF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The FAQ is part of the Errata file put together by the designer. So I’m going to continue to play it as errata. You’ll ultimately free to play it as you see fit.

So far it’s more of a minor thing in the handful of games I’ve played that doesn’t occurs enough to have much of an impact. So it hasn’t bothered me.

The printed rule book stats they must use their action cube to stand up and can do nothing else in that round. However there’s a typo and it actually repeats the sentence.

Case one spoiler
Spoiler (click to reveal)
when the giant frog monster surprises you and stuns everyone, you need all the help you can get!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Sachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
typo360 wrote:
The FAQ is part of the Errata file put together by the designer.

I know that, but the FAQ part and the Errata part are clearly labeled as such. So there is a difference, but you are free to ignore this.
I'm not really sure what you are trying to say. We both interpret the rules equally.thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jorl wrote:
typo360 wrote:
The FAQ is part of the Errata file put together by the designer.

I know that, but the FAQ part and the Errata part are clearly labeled as such. So there is a difference, but you are free to ignore this.
I'm not really sure what you are trying to say. We both interpret the rules equally.thumbsup

I was just trying to clarify that we have the answer explicitly clarified by the designer himself and it wasn’t part of the faq thread that can get confusing by other people putting their answers in there as well.

So there is no rule I’m actually interpreting. I’m just repeating the official source verbatim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jorl wrote:
Are there different version of the rulebook online?
There is a typo in the one that was uploaded to BGG: Hellboy: The Board Game PDF Rulebook
The last two sentences are the same. The rule for (normal) agents seems to be missing.
page 22 wrote:
Agent phase. Stunned backup agents must use their
that round. Stunned backup agents must use their
that round.

@swirlsaepi
What is the source of your quote?

Correct, clearly it's a typo and that one of the sentences was intended to be for regular agents.

Also I agree on if you had all three cubes prior to being stunned you would only lose two of them (not your entire turn as I had mentioned previously) and have the third to use however you wished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digital Blaine
msg tools
mbmb
Looking at it again, that last sentence that says agents can do nothing else while stunned should have told me that I can’t do boosts/assists.

I can spend 2 actions to stand up, now I’m no longer stunned so I can use my third action any way I see fit.

Dang, getting stunned is huge then!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.