Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Longo
United States
Bayville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a first play of this as a two player game today, several questions arose. The questions and the "tentative" answers decided upon are listed below. Let me know what your thoughts are...?

(1) Location Investigation question - If a character is at a location which has investigation points remaining and they choose not to move, can they try investigating there again (assuming they failed the previous turn)?

(a) If the answer is yes, do they encounter the monster again?

(b) If the answer is no, can they move away and (assuming some other character is at the location so that it is not discarded) return there the next turn to try to obtain the investigation points (if they remain)?

Tentative answer is (b) and the character could try to return if the location is still in play but they would need to encounter the monster again at that point. [The flowchart on the geek seems to support this but I am not sure if that flowchart shows an official interpretation of the rules...so I am interested in other folks' thoughts.]

(2) Bitter Consequences card - If Player 1 plays a monster encounter card on Player 2, then player 2 fights (or evades) the monster. If the Bitter Consequences react card is played by Player 2, then Player 1 would then also have to fight the monster (regardless of how Player 2 made out during his/her battle).

Question: What if Player 1 also has a Bitter Consequences card? [This happened today.] Can Player 1 play it so then Player 2 would have to fight the monster again a second time after Player 1 is done?

Tentative answer is yes.

(3) Infestation card - This is a nasty card that is played on another character and counts as one of their items. Question: Can this be played on another character to make them discard one of their existing items if they already have two (sort of a double whammy)? Or can it only be played on characters who have less than two items?

Tentative answer is that it can be used to make another player discard an item as well as get stuck with the infestation item.

(4) Fighting twice - If an encounter card states that it needs to be fought twice to receive the reward, does it also need to be evaded twice for the character to get away?

Tentative answer is no.

(5) Possession card (dumbest question to arise) - This card states that the Target Player and another player must fight. In a 3 to 6 player game, this means that Player 1 can make Players 2 and 3 fight. Very evil indeed. But in a two player game, does this mean that Player 1 and Player 2 must fight if played (as opposed to this card just being useless in a two player game)?

Thanks!
DLongo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Mittelstedt
United States
Hampstead
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
DLongo wrote:

(1) Location Investigation question - If a character is at a location which has investigation points remaining and they choose not to move, can they try investigating there again (assuming they failed the previous turn)?

The rules don't explicitly state this, but Third World Games state on their FAQ they have a house rule that allows you to stay on the location and investigate again on your next turn. You will have to fight or evade any creature at the location again.

DLongo wrote:

(2) Bitter Consequences card - If Player 1 plays a monster encounter card on Player 2, then player 2 fights (or evades) the monster. If the Bitter Consequences react card is played by Player 2, then Player 1 would then also have to fight the monster (regardless of how Player 2 made out during his/her battle).

Question: What if Player 1 also has a Bitter Consequences card? [This happened today.] Can Player 1 play it so then Player 2 would have to fight the monster again a second time after Player 1 is done?

Yep Player 2 will have to fight the monster again.

DLongo wrote:

(3) Infestation card - This is a nasty card that is played on another character and counts as one of their items. Question: Can this be played on another character to make them discard one of their existing items if they already have two (sort of a double whammy)? Or can it only be played on characters who have less than two items?

From the rules:
* You control all items on your character (even if someone else played them on you!)
* No character can have more than two Items in play.

DLongo wrote:

(4) Fighting twice - If an encounter card states that it needs to be fought twice to receive the reward, does it also need to be evaded twice for the character to get away?

You could consider "fighting" in this case to be synonymous with "encountering" so the encounter could be evaded twice.

DLongo wrote:

(5) Possession card (dumbest question to arise) - This card states that the Target Player and another player must fight. In a 3 to 6 player game, this means that Player 1 can make Players 2 and 3 fight. Very evil indeed. But in a two player game, does this mean that Player 1 and Player 2 must fight if played (as opposed to this card just being useless in a two player game)?

Yep, in a two player game the only two players would have to fight. However this card is not as useless as you might think. If you were in a situation where you had some good weapons and were relatively healthy, and your opponent was weakened from encounters, you could further weaken you opponent or even kill them, winning the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Longo
United States
Bayville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really appreciate the attempt for someone to post answers to my initial questions. I was hoping to see how others felt before I replied back, but it's been quite a while without a response.

So just for the record, I agree that the official FAQ did answer Question 1 and I also agree with the responses to Questions 2 and 5.

However, I (very respectfully) disagree with the answers provided for Questions 3 and 4. I was hoping to get an "official" answer but barring that, it seems these two questions might have different answers depending on who is playing.

But for my games, the Infestation card is one that is played on someone else and if they have two items in play, one of the other items must be discarded. The rule stating that you control all items on your character (even if someone else played them on you) seems to me to be addressing a situation where someone gives you a good item, like a weapon or something to that effect.

And I also think that fighting a creature twice to get the reward is different than having to evade the same creature twice. My take on it is that the creature is so tough, it needs two wounds...but evading it still only happens once. (This ruling could easily be made the other way but there is no official ruling and this is what makes more sense to me...and it probably comes from playing Arkham Horror so many times).

So thanks again for responding, and hopefully Third World Games will come back to life...or at the very worst, sell their games to a company who will publish them again...and be around to actively support them (because I really do like all of the games). And just for the record, I really enjoyed the 150+ page story that was being published on the website for Jacob's Hollow. I was sad when Third World games replied back to a message I wrote to them stating that the writer had gone AWOL and seemed to have no intention to finish the story. Ah well..... It's a shame...because it was good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nickoloff
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed this post, I'm sorry.

DLongo wrote:
After a first play of this as a two player game today, several questions arose. The questions and the "tentative" answers decided upon are listed below. Let me know what your thoughts are...?

Tentative answer is that it can be used to make another player discard an item as well as get stuck with the infestation item.

It can only be played on players with less than 2 items.

(Per "Items": "No character may have more than two Items in play.")

DLongo wrote:

Tentative answer is no.

The answer is no. Unless the card says to "evade twice" to escape, you just have to evade once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Longo
United States
Bayville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the official answers! That helps a lot.

Now can you answer when Third World Games will arise like a Phoenix from the ashes to conquer the world? Honestly, I like every game you guys created and the stories and FAQs on your site were helpful and fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nickoloff
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
DLongo wrote:
Thank you for the official answers! That helps a lot.

Now can you answer when Third World Games will arise like a Phoenix from the ashes to conquer the world? Honestly, I like every game you guys created and the stories and FAQs on your site were helpful and fun.

Thanks for the kind words.

Unfortunately, probably not going to happen. My business partner and I have moved in different directions. I'm now running www.sorvent.com, and he's busy with his life.
Running a publishing company is hard and takes a lot of capital.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Strong
United States
Ocala
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I have a question or two about some of the same stuff! Possession being one of the biggest ones. Here's the story:

My wife and I were playing. (LOVE the game by the way). Near the end of the game, she had just gotten two IP to give her 11 while I only had 7. I knew that if my turn ended with her still alive, she would win (having at least 10 points at the start of her turn). We both only had one life point left. She had the Flak Jacket. I happened to have the Ice Pick. I also had the Possession card. So I played it, bringing her to the same location as I was. Now, the Possession card says that we are to fight each other (since we're the only two players) and we are BOTH considered FIENDS. Her Flak Jacket says fighting a fiend means that I get to less combat flips. So she gets 2 flips to my 0. My Ice Pick says that I get +1 combat flips against fiends, so now it should be 2 flips to 1. Right before she went to flip her first combat card against me, I tried to play THE MARK. It states that before her first combat flip against a fiend, play this card and the fiend gets +1 combat flip and +1 reward. I figured that this would give me one extra flip and it would be back up to 2 flips each after all this. She said I couldn't play it because she didn't "encounter" a fiend and was instead fighting a fiend. I think you can do this (I think it was pretty slick actually). We finally decided to just forget THE MARK card and so she drew 2 cards to my 1. She drew a 0. I drew a 1. She drew a 1. So the total for our battle was 1-1. Again, it states in the rules that when someone battles a monster, in a tie, the monster wins. I think that since I played the POSSESSION card, I would be more or less considered the monster and would win with a tie. She didn't agree. We couldn't agree, so we just said it was a tie. So it became her turn and she "won" the game with her 11 IP.

Sorry about all that... anyway, my questions are this:

1) Is my play of POSSESSION coupled with her FLAK JACKET (-2 combat flips for me being a fiend) coupled with my ICE PICK (+1 combat flip for me against a fiend) coupled with THE MARK (before her first combat flip, the fiend she is fighting gets +1 combat flip and +1 reward if she beats me I guess) a solid play and thus we are back to where we started of each player drawing 2 cards???

2) And I know that if an explorer and a monster tie in the total horror number after the flips that the monster wins the battle. How does that work with the POSSESSION card when we are both considered monsters???

Thanks for any help I can get with this?!?! We really do love this game and look forward to playing with more people.

P.S. - One last random question... If I'm in the graveyard, and she's in the police station, and on her turn she leaves and flips over a new location to visit, does the police station stay on the table, or get discarded since after she left no one else was there? It seems to suggest in the rules that if no one is in a location it gets discarded, but that leaves me feeling like you can never have a good amount of locations on the table at one time. Just curious!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.