Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
36 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Warhammer Quest: Blackstone Fortress» Forums » General

Subject: Its all gone quiet. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane Dwyer
msg tools
Its gone very quiet on news about the latest expansion, no release date or further info on what's in the pack.

Anyone heard anything?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I feel your frustration, I look daily expecting to see pre-order and nothing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Kester
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In the same boat. I think they definitely hyped up the "supporting the game" up a bit much. The only expansion we know that's coming is a crossover game which will most likely just give us more heroes.

Maybe it's time for the community to build a community edition expansion...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people seem to have missed the announcement of the Traitor Command Expansion...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to see the Traitor Command Expansion announced! I just got Blackstone Fortress and started playing this weekend, very fun.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gridash
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ObsoleteThree wrote:
In the same boat. I think they definitely hyped up the "supporting the game" up a bit much. The only expansion we know that's coming is a crossover game which will most likely just give us more heroes.

Maybe it's time for the community to build a community edition expansion...

What is this "crossover" game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat Arena https://www.warhammer-community.com/tag/combar-arena/

It's a combat arena game like Gorechosen but 40k themed. Story wise it's a prequel to Blackstone Fortress and they said they'll release an adventure pack so you can use Combat Arena characters for Blackstone.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ortolani
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a bad feeling about this. I’ve been following Warhammer Fest live blog over Warhammer community and no news came up about BF except for a couple of snaps of the 2 Traitor guards in the upcoming expansion and a pic of the Combat Arena game minis with BF themed bases. Nothing else: no preview, future plans or at least a glimpse of things to come. GW promised support, but we all know GW... 😒
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Game came out in November. Since then we have one released expansion, one announced expansion and one announced compatible product.

Game has been out for 6 months. At 6 months game + expansion is great. And there are at least two more things in the pipeline. 3.5 items a year is great for a tertiary GW product. There is no evidence that the game is dead or that nothing more is coming in the future. They are providing support, I think expecting more support then we are getting is kinda nuts.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kostool13 wrote:
Some people seem to have missed the announcement of the Traitor Command Expansion...

And the Warhammer Quest Blackstone fortress novel that was released last week.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rakor wrote:
Game came out in November. Since then we have one released expansion, one announced expansion and one announced compatible product.

Game has been out for 6 months. At 6 months game + expansion is great. And there are at least two more things in the pipeline. 3.5 items a year is great for a tertiary GW product. There is no evidence that the game is dead or that nothing more is coming in the future. They are providing support, I think expecting more support then we are getting is kinda nuts.

Agreed.

This is not a living card game, with a new pack of something every month.

So far, after 3 months they released the first expansion. 3 months after, the novel. A release every three months is a good schedule of content. Wanting to go faster you might lose customers as for some it would be just too fast.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rakor wrote:
Game came out in November. Since then we have one released expansion, one announced expansion and one announced compatible product.

Just a note. Combat Arena isn't a compatible product. It's one of those B&N store products, like Space Marine Adventures from last year. But the characters from Combat Arena are going to be in their own Blackstone Fortress expansion as well. You won't have to buy Combat Arena to get the miniatures.

The full list of actual game content (I believe) so far is:
Base game.
One released expansion.
Two announced expansions (well, one announced, one teased).
One new mission in White Dwarf.
New rules in the most recent White Dwarf.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
msg tools
[/q]Agreed.

This is not a living card game, with a new pack of something every month.

So far, after 3 months they released the first expansion. 3 months after, the novel. A release every three months is a good schedule of content. Wanting to go faster you might lose customers as for some it would be just too fast.[/q]

I'm one of those people, I've had the base game since Christmas, only just starting my second play-through, still painting the models, haven't had time to buy the Dreaded Ambull expansion or to play with the latest rules from White Dwarf.

So in a sense, I'm not too worried that things are quiet at the moment for Blackstone Fortress - it'll give me a chance to catch up!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Johnson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
UK Game Expo is next weekend so it's possible we will see another announcement of new stuff. They like having their releases on a quarterly bases.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lakatos
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shanedwyer2014 wrote:
Its gone very quiet on news about the latest expansion, no release date or further info on what's in the pack.?

I also wouldn't discount the delay regarding the new Sylvanneth & (I forgot who) box set that is stuck in shipping etc.

Events like that have a way of disrupting just about everything.

I have to agree that the pace of release has me feeling good. Look at Silver Tower or Shadows over Hammerhal - they haven't sen a physical product in a while but did get new rules for the Nighthaunts.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the other end of the spectrum. I've found the releases themselves to be less than inspiring. Overpriced, with very little new content added to the game. Not enough to get me to purchase them. And we're not all that keen on a second playthrough using the same quest. It was fun, we really enjoyed it, but our game time is so limited, and there's so many good products available (to buy, and in our collection), that BSF redux has little appeal to us.

So I'm disappointed by what GW considers to be a "fully supported" game system.
1 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

So I'm disappointed by what GW considers to be a "fully supported" game system. 

I think the concept of "support" needs to be reviewed here.

Gloomhaven has been out for two years and never had a single expansion out (i know one is incoming).
So we say, following the same logic, that Gloomhaven is badly supported? Not sure a lot of people would say so...

This is something seen with many games, but especially with Games Workshop. Somehow, they get criticized for not putting an expansion out every few months, but other similar games from other companies don't for similar products.

- Keeping the game in print
- Providing answers to inquiries
- Have spare parts for damaged components in stock
- Catering to the community via discussion forums or some other means
- Organizing events in cons and stores
- Have articles written about the game
... and lastly, putting put new products as expansions or supplemental material.

all this counts as "support for the game" as far as i'm concerned.

So far, Blackstone Fortress is very well supported at least compared to most games out there.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dong
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
Quote:

So I'm disappointed by what GW considers to be a "fully supported" game system. 

I think the concept of "support" needs to be reviewed here.

Gloomhaven has been out for two years and never had a single expansion out (i know one is incoming).
So we say, following the same logic, that Gloomhaven is badly supported? Not sure a lot of people would say so...

This is something seen with many games, but especially with Games Workshop. Somehow, they get criticized for not putting an expansion out every few months, but other similar games from other companies don't for similar products.
Your point is valid, although Gloomhaven isn’t the best counter argument*. My angst about support and the desire to see more and sooner is as proof that GW is committed to long term full support of BSF. If I could trust that GW’s “full support” meant actually releasing one to two meaningful expansions a year instead of just being advertising copywriting then I’d be fine the way things are currently, but for now GW hasn’t earned that trust.

*I think the lack of expansions for Gloomhaven is because “too much” was included in the box at the start. Had it been published by an established game publisher I think they would have ‘removed’ a fair amount of the game content, put out a much leaner base game Gloomhaven, and then released the ‘removed’ content as expansions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
Gloomhaven has been out for two years and never had a single expansion out (i know one is incoming).
So we say, following the same logic, that Gloomhaven is badly supported? Not sure a lot of people would say so...

Nice argument. Now consider that Blackstone Fortress along with the one released expansion costs as much as Gloomhaven, and how much replayability is in each box. Most people would not say that GH is badly supported because they are still half through the campaign, while BF has been sitting on the shelf since a week after it was released.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kostool13 wrote:
deedob wrote:
Gloomhaven has been out for two years and never had a single expansion out (i know one is incoming).
So we say, following the same logic, that Gloomhaven is badly supported? Not sure a lot of people would say so...

Nice argument. Now consider that Blackstone Fortress along with the one released expansion costs as much as Gloomhaven, and how much replayability is in each box. Most people would not say that GH is badly supported because they are still half through the campaign, while BF has been sitting on the shelf since a week after it was released.

That's something else entirely.

Amount of replayability for a game has nothing to do with how a company supports said game.

Some games are replayable, some are not.

Comparing content of Gloomhaven with Blackstone fortress is also problematic.
Blackstone Fortress gives you more minis of a much higher quality.
Gloomhaven gives you more cardboard.

For painting hobbyists, there's no question Blackstone has more content overall. It's all a matter of perspective.
2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:


- Keeping the game in print
- Providing answers to inquiries
- Have spare parts for damaged components in stock
- Catering to the community via discussion forums or some other means
- Organizing events in cons and stores
- Have articles written about the game
... and lastly, putting put new products as expansions or supplemental material.

all this counts as "support for the game" as far as i'm concerned.

So far, Blackstone Fortress is very well supported at least compared to most games out there.

All fair points. And so far as I know, GW is doing that full list. Hard to say...

They printed so many copies, does it count to say they are keeping it in print if they haven't sold the initial print run yet?

They have issued 1 FAQ update. There are still many issues that the community have to work out on their own because it hasn't been updated. I guess they get credit for this, but also a demerit because I don't think you can really say they are keeping it up.

Spare parts...I assume they are doing this, but the quality is such that you don't hear much about it.

Discussion forums? GW doesn't have them. So no credit here.

Organized events? Have there even been any? There were pre-order bonus stuff. And then? Does GW run con events for it? Is there any store kits available? I haven't heard of any.

Articles? A few at first. They just had one on Nemesis dice, which is a nice addition. Didn't the issue of WD before that skip BSF? Probably fair to say they at least seem to be doing this.

And then new product. 2 unit expansions that add figures and encounters, with a minor mission. And which most people feel are vastly overpriced when compared to the main BSF box. A new mission in WD. Which is better than nothing, but from day 1, players were asking about new heroes, and most importantly, a new main quest.

So the issue I have is based on GW and what they seem to do for supporting their games. The pre-release adds used the phrase "fully supported." I don't think I was alone in seeing this as a GW code for saying BSF won't be like their other "side" games, where new content maybe trickles out in fits and starts before just withering to nothing with little fanfare. I think we expected more because GW gave us reason to expect more. Is the game supported? Sure it is. Is it living up to the hype GW used to generate sales? I really don't think so.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:

Amount of replayability for a game has nothing to do with how a company supports said game.

Some games are replayable, some are not.


In this case, I think it has a lot to do with expectations. BSF could have been released with no system tag....just a cool game set in 40K that looks like a dungeon crawler.

But they tagged it as a Warhammer Quest game. This is a line where replayability is expected. It's a system that is made for expansion material in the form of quests and new missions. I don' think it's a misunderstanding on the part of the consumer to expect that a Warhammer Quest game is going to get support in the form of quest material.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently picked up the Warhammer Quest games and Warhammer Underworlds stuff. I am coming to this discussion as a board gamer - never played any of their miniature games before (other than Blood Bowl). Compared to most board games I think Blackstone Fortress is being supported pretty well so far. I have the White Dwarf issue with the new 2 player mission and the Dreaded Ambull expansion. The earlier Warhammer Quest games do not seem to have much support though. Is the worry based on those games lack of support or is this a Games Workshop thing?

Anyways, I hope they do not go quiet with support, I am finding their board games to be fun. Suggestions on their other games? Necromunda, Kill Team, or Gorechosen?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on what you consider support, I guess.

In six months:

Base game
White Dwarf mission
Limited FAQ
Ambull expansion
White Dwarf rules article
Blackstone Fortress novel
At least 18 video tutorial painting guides
At least one official playthrough video
Dedicated website section with downloadable wallpapers: https://warhammer40000.com/blackstone-fortress/

Announced:
New Chaos Traitor Command expansion
New hero expansion
Hopefully we will hear more about those this weekend at the expo.

Additionally, the official 40K Facebook page covers Blackstone announcements and discussion.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Apocalypse Dude wrote:
I just recently picked up the Warhammer Quest games and Warhammer Underworlds stuff. I am coming to this discussion as a board gamer - never played any of their miniature games before (other than Blood Bowl). Compared to most board games I think Blackstone Fortress is being supported pretty well so far. I have the White Dwarf issue with the new 2 player mission and the Dreaded Ambull expansion. The earlier Warhammer Quest games do not seem to have much support though. Is the worry based on those games lack of support or is this a Games Workshop thing?

Anyways, I hope they do not go quiet with support, I am finding their board games to be fun. Suggestions on their other games? Necromunda, Kill Team, or Gorechosen?

Gorechosen was a one-off game that has been discontinued. It has been remade with a different theme as Combat Arena, due out later this year. A really good filler game.

Necromunda and Kill Team are game systems and more in the realm of tabletop miniatures games rather than board games. Both very good, I prefer Kill Team.

Underworlds is a really solid GW board game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |