Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach M
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cryptid is a 2018 game from designer Hal Duncan with art from Kwanchai Moriya and published by Osprey Games.

Combination of car lag(?) and that i gotta go drive will keep this short.

Cryptid is a deduction game where everyone is cryptozoologists looking for a bigfoot-like creature on a map. everyone has a clue to where he could be but you need to piece what everybody has together in order to find it.

Sounds like a co-op right? nope. Everyone is in it for themselves. Your clue, in basic mode, will tell you some type of restriction that it has. You could know that it is in forests or swamps, or its within two spaces of an abandoned shack, or near bears and cougars. But you only know your clue. So on your turn you can select an area and then ask someone if the cryptid could be there. If it fits their rule, they will answer yes with a circle token, if not they put a cube down and then you have to put down a cube in another spot as well, for getting it wrong. You keep going around and round until you you have an idea of where it could be. You then put down a circle on a space and say I think it is here. Then everyone either puts down a circle for yes or someone puts down a cube for no. If a cube gets put down, drats! you put down a cube somewhere else and keep the game going, but if everyone puts a circle down, then you found it!

EDIT: Due to recordings going long, we decided to push this to episode 146 and we recapped Geekway instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Boyd
United States
North Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Episode 144 & Cryptid!
My comments for Cryptid are not not within 2 pages of this post.

Cryptid is fun but I think I'd usually prefer the basic rules. For one thing, there's less chance that someone (totally not me) will screw up their first placement. But also, I'd rather play multiple short rounds than one long one. Yes, the advanced rules kick up the challenge several levels, but I think it also creates a wider spectrum of how helpful each clue is. Due to the random setup, some clues can narrow the board down more than others meaning a player could start with a bit of an advantage.

But it's a fun game that's easy to teach and serves as a good mental challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jones
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Episode 144 & Cryptid!
Fact: Cryptid is a game.
Opinion: Cryptid is good.
Fact: One of the major decision points is whether to give up no information to get a small amount of specific information or whether to give up some information to get more information.
Opinion: That decision is a compelling base upon which to build a game.
Fact: People have a really hard time at the beginning of the game placing cubes on spaces precluded by their rule from containing the titular cryptid.
Opinion: The tension the game fosters throughout is worth that inconvenience.
Fact: Kwanchai Moriya did the art for the game.
Opinion: Kwanchai Moriya is good at art.
Fact: There is a cryptid similar to the Loch Ness Monster purported to live in Lake Champlain that is affectionately referred to as Champy.
Opinion: That is adorable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.