6 Posts

Hellboy: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Triggering Confrontation: In what phase does play resume? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernie Brink
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the tutorial scenario the other day, but got handily trounced and am not sure I'm understanding all the rules correctly.

The confrontation was triggered when all agents were knocked out, per the rules on the case file cards for the introductory case file. My understanding, then, was that we flipped the HQ board, setup the confrontation, etc.; then the agents were returned to the board in the same space they were removed from. Is that all correct?

Incidentally, the space where the agents were KO'd/removed (and, thus, returned to) was the same space where the boss spawned and a few minions were already standing (of course, because they KO'd the agents!).

So, our agents are on the board in the same space as the boss and minions, but with their wound/injury tracks full (i.e. no health remaining). Does the enemy phase happen first after triggering the confrontation? If so, then we would lost immediately because there's absolutely no way the agents could sustain multiple attacks with no remaining health and downgraded defense dice - in which case, it was a total waste of time to setup the confrontation, get the extra minis out, etc.

I'm assuming that I'm misunderstanding something, because that seems like a broken scenario if that is truly how it's played. If anyone can offer any insight on the rules, where play resumes after triggering the confrontation, or this specific scenario/case file, that would really be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If all your agents get KO'd you lose in the confrontation.

I don't have the card in front of me so I don't remember the wording about triggering the confrontation if they're all KO'd.

Either way, knocked out agents don't get attacked. So the enemy phase would be bypassed, Than I'd guess you do get a final "last-ditch recovery" opportunity to get someone back on the board awake. If no one gets back on the board in that first attempt, than you'd lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the walk through scenario tutorial doesn't talk about buying extra gear in the beginning, if I remember correctly. So when you replay that case "as is" don't forget to get extra gear. It comes in handy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Petersen
United States
Stanwood
WA
flag msg tools
I don't understand how any of the agents can get knocked out until the confrontation in that tutorial.

Once you explore a new room, you then attack the bad guys and take em out and then check the clues, etc.

At least in my first play, it was easy to take out the bad guys right away without them having a chance to attack....I think Hellboy had 2 damage markers and Abe none once I cleared out the 4 area room and triggered the confrontation.

I ended up barely losing as I did not have any insight so now I know what i have to do the 2nd try but maybe I got great die rolls, just dont get how much damage can happen to those guys as there are not too many minions to deal with until the end.

I triggered my confrontation during the end phase so I assume the bad guys and boss get to go first as the bad guys turn is first after the end phase but not sure about the circumstance when you triggered...sucks if that is how it works where you just get bombarded without a chance in that circumstance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I just thought you didn’t filp the encounter cards at the beginning right? You skip the first enemy phase

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Petersen
United States
Stanwood
WA
flag msg tools
Played the tutorial again. This time let the impending doom token get to the trigger and that really hurt. Stunning both guys and the turn before I had a doom card which placed 2 enemies in the start area. So now I had 4 minions, the boss, and both my guys stunned...not good.

Lost pretty quickly. It went all too wrong very quickly. The tutorial is kind of a puzzle since you have the same encounter cards. Now I know not to let the doom track trigger but I do need a few insight tokens. It's a balancing act. A fun one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.