Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Morgal
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Experiencing senility daily since... I forget.
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle is a fantastic game. It is full of tension and momentum swings many of which hinge on the toss of a dice. Nothing at all wrong with that, it is what makes the game exciting -- but it also sometimes make it frustrating.

The Space Race is a fascinating side-quest in the game designed to give the player a strategic means of disposing of unwanted cards and of acheiving short-term player advantages over your opponent. I say short term because given even slightly less than average luck, one can usually stay within a space or two of your adversary, thus negating some of those advantages. But given bad luck, the space race may produce a hole that one cannot dig oneself out of.

I read a thread that mitigates this somewhat by using die roll modifiers based on failed attempts to help acheive Space Race success. I think this is a good idea and wonder if anyone can comment on how it works if they tried it.

I am curious however if there are any players that have tried a 'purchase' method to the Space Race. By that, I mean using Ops to buy Space Race success.

For instance, keeping the one discard per turn rule but ignoring the requirement regarding minimum op points, spend the discarded ops toward your current goal where...

...steps that require a roll of 1-4 cost 3 op points for success.

...steps that require a roll pf 1-3 cost 4 op points for success.

...steps that require a roll of 1-2 cost 5 op points for success.

Ops spent would accumulate and then reset after each accomplishment. For instance, 1 op could be spent on turn 1, and then 2 ops could be spent on turn 2, making the 3 ops required for success. Ops spent in excess would be lost.

A second way of purchasing success would be to assign tiers to each space accomplishment and let the donated ops accumulate:

Earth Satellite - 4 ops
Animal in Space - 7 ops
Lunar Probe - 11 ops
Man in space - 14 ops
Man in Earth Orbit - 18 ops
Space Walk - 21 ops
Lunar Orbit - 25 ops
Moon landing - 30

If the German scientist card is played, it would automatically increase the spent ops to the level required for the next success.

I would appreciate any feedback by people trying this, and also thoughts about the op costs used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.