1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Complaint Department

Subject: What an Awful Ad rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Maybe I am just getting old and crotchety but does anyone else find this ad vulgar, in poor taste and just generally awful? Is there no vetting process of advertising here on BGG? An ugly little baby flipping me off is not what I want to log in to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Campbell
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
He looks like a demonic Hervé Villechaize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a nice throwback to some early period artists. The disrespectful child or child demon telling the viewer to go pound sand.

Love it.

As with all good art, the range of reaction should be wide - from wanting to tear it down to experiencing ecstasy.

As for my personal reaction... I guess it would be "Hey... good morning little fucker!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The figure's name is "The Future Prince of Darkness"... Love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Perrin2017 wrote:

Is there no vetting process of advertising here on BGG?

Maybe there is a vetting process and this ad passed inspection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perrin2017 wrote:

Maybe I am just getting old and crotchety but does anyone else find this ad vulgar, in poor taste and just generally awful? Is there no vetting process of advertising here on BGG? An ugly little baby flipping me off is not what I want to log in to see.
Yes, I do... but I don't think it'd be any better without the demon baby.

I'm tired of the idea that all it takes to sell gamers on a game is to throw a half naked (actually nine-tenths naked) woman on the ad and that we'll glom onto the game.

At this point if a game seems to require a naked women to sell it, that's a signal to me that it's probably a crap game and I don't bother looking any further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Perrin2017 wrote:

I'm tired of the idea that all it takes to sell gamers on a game is to throw a half naked (actually nine-tenths naked) woman on the ad and that we'll glom onto the game.

At this point if a game seems to require a naked women to sell it, that's a signal to me that it's probably a crap game and I don't bother looking any further.

I don't see this ad for the game, so I'm guessing it must be picking something up from browser history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:

I actually didn't notice she was naked at first glance. I guess because her chest is strategically covered. But as a straight woman, I'm not exactly their target market.

My first reaction was "huh, someone hired an untalented video game artist" Regardless of content, the execution of the art is bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
I don't see this ad for the game, so I'm guessing it must be picking something up from browser history.
The image in my post is from Perrin's personal gallery... so it shouldn't have anything to do with your browser history. BGG should be pulling the image from his gallery and displaying it in the thread for you. Can you see it if you go directly to the image? (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/4756010/perrin2017)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
The image in my post is from Perrin's personal gallery... so it shouldn't have anything to do with your browser history. BGG should be pulling the image from his gallery and displaying it in the thread for you. Can you see it if you go directly to the image? (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/4756010/perrin2017)

I'm referring to the original ad, not Perrin's collection/gallery - which is static and not affected by browsing history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This ad is on the right pane. If this is not a BGG sponsored ad but instead a google one I apologize. Still I shit ad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Targeted ads based on browsing history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Broeren
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://adblockplus.org/en/ solves all ad related problems for me. I do see the "hot on Amazon now" ads though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Targeted ads based on browsing history.

Then their targeting formula sucks. I look at Eurogames, family games and the occasional abstract. There's nothing to suggest I would enjoy a minatures game with badly drawn half naked ladies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Don't be humble you're not that great -- Golda Meir
mbmb
Heh, it is pretty craptastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
This ad is super bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perrin2017 wrote:
Still I shit ad.

You should see a doctor about that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perrin2017 wrote:

I’m old and crotchety now too! But I also have daughters, so shy away from this art style as I think it sends wrong message to them. Different strokes for different folks as another post indicated.

Didn’t notice the bird finger until you pointed it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SabataSmurf wrote:

Now this comment made me laugh, and then cry because I’m old enough to get the reference.

“Calgon, take me awayyyy...”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crazybyzantine wrote:
SabataSmurf wrote:

Now this comment made me laugh, and then cry because I’m old enough to get the reference.

“Calgon, take me awayyyy...”

Queue John Candy and Eugene Levy from SCTV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
crazybyzantine wrote:
Perrin2017 wrote:

I’m old and crotchety now too! But I also have daughters, so shy away from this art style as I think it sends wrong message to them. Different strokes for different folks as another post indicated.

Didn’t notice the bird finger until you pointed it out!

yeah... uh... naked woman wasn't the problem, but vulgar baby was? meh....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perrin2017 wrote:

Edgelords be edging. You can always count the worst of graphic design and laziest attempts to court controversy from those guys*

I did raise an eyebrow, because even for generic-as-all-heck-fantasy-game-number-32341 that was just UGLY. UGLY.

EDIT: Was that even for a board game? I assumed it was for one of those godawful browser games Google fills adspace with if you even glance at something fantasy themed ever?

*It's gonna be guys. 100% guaranteed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
FWIW the product seems to be simply miniatures, not a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
FWIW the product seems to be simply miniatures, not a game.

That makes a lot of very sad sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.