Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smaller early scenarios, round at Richard Spilsbury's new house, he being the man with the game.

1. Pegasus Bridge: Horribly outnumbered as the Germans it seems. I tried to keep the 6th busy at the Ranville Bridge by occupying the woods nearby but that didn't quite work. At Pegasus the Germans reduced three enemy units to one man, and several Airborne moves were spent retiring these as fresh ones came up on the conveyor belt. The Airborne had clearly better cards [Recon is a tad useless at times] and this swung the day eventually.

2. Sainte-Mere-Eglise: the scenario which introduces the dreaded green space amoebae doubling as bocage. The paradrop worked very nicely between the town and the German edge, getting one unit adjacent to the Germans in St. Mere Eglise and another which bounced to the bocage on the US right. A barrage took out the sandbagged positon on the US left in one go, and Finest Hour also gives extra dice so indeed units can go down in their entirety as in Battle Cry. Flags were occasionally useful to the Germans. The German right flank had nowhere to go and the left was badly bottlenecked. Only one tank unit was no problem for the paras, who moved in to crush this German group. Assaults and "Direct from HQ" seem more powerful than BC's All Out Offensive when played sequentially. As both sides took losses the possibility of a stalemate emerged, but a dying German unit took too many flags and was eliminated to end the scenario. The pre-game jump was fun, and this was slightly better than Pegasus but not wonderful.

Pointe-du-Hoc: a turn 2 "Behind Enemy Lines" saw some keen boys race to a VP woods hex, shooting up a bunker on the way. Then the artillery came down on their heads. Eventually the German right was overwhelmed by the correct pair of cards, and Recon was useful for cycling through the deck looking for Air and Barrage as the scenario soon stalemated, the German artillery contributing to this. Barrage and Air too useful in this scenario, and both sides waited for these to come up whilst doing nothing. This scenario should be one deck only, with the Germans winning by default. Perhaps in this scenario the US should be allowed to use the Air Power card only, and the Germans the Barrage, along with similar restrictions in other scenarios. The Rangers special ability was geneally negated by the cliff or wire.

Mont Mouchet: uh oh, more than one tank unit and Tigers to boot.
A brief foray down the German left flank was countered by a partisan right flank move. The tanks retired a little, to pop off one die a turn at the Frenchmen in the woods, but the hills & open ground in the French centre-right caused them to do so in that direction. The Germans feinted with an infantry unit toward these hills, and then the Tigers rolled in to get behind the hills and units occupying them. Now any retreats from here would run onto the Tigers' guns, which stood off a couple of hexes, though not without taking losses. Finally the French right flank unit was attacked by both tanks and the German left flank infantry off a Finest Hour, each rolling a single die and each getting a grenade to win. Interesting sceanrio if not brilliant. The tanks were powerful, not least because the weakness of their single die attacks was mitigated by them being made versus units starting three strong, whilst their defensive strength was unchanged.

Previously played scenarios: On Omaha the Aermicans were stopped fairly easily, and here all cards seem to have some use which was not the case with all tonight's games. On Sword poorer German cards facilitated a good British landing which also dealt neatly with a German counterattack to win. This was the best scenario played so far, as it seemed balanced with no obvious tactics for either side. St. Vith was completely dominated by the German tanks overunning on the American left. A similar massacre took place on the German right, mediated by a Sherman unit, but this wasn't quite so bloodly, so inevitably the US lost.

Conclusions: the game needs better scenarios than these, and the current ones could use a few more special rules. Outlandish Montelimar looks as if it might be the interesting one, and hopefully we'll try this and Arracourt tomorrow. Strengths of the system are the ease with which it handles amphibious invasions, and the tank miniatures [never mind the detail]. On the other side, German infantry appear to range from dead drunk through to stone cold sober, whereas all the allies stand up nice n straight like proper soldiers. Artillery and those girder obstacles are a little fragile, and the color-blind think the barbed wire entanglements look tasty, in dim light anyway.
The cards seem either very powerful or weak/useless, and the power of cards increases as several good ones are played sequentially. Artillery seems to exert a de facto zone of control. Units' speed of movement creates non-Battle Cry type situations which I believe do not sit happily with the basic system. I suspect that tournament-style play would see a lot of positional preparation with a wait for enough of the right cards before a final push. Stalemating is a problem that must be guarded against when designing scenarios.
However i had more fun playing than perhaps i should have had!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edwards
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Session Report
aforandy,

I'm looking forward to some user made scenarios...I'm sure the quality will vary, but one good one will make up for a lot of lackluster efforts.

I know what you mean about having more fun than you should have had. M44 does require a "suspension of disbelief".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bloodybucket (#40114),

which are the good scenarios? 1, 2, 6, 7 and 15 I wouldn't play again for their own sake. Pointe-du-Hoc seems to have problems, but one would have to play it a few times to iron these out. 8 & 9 were Ok but not absolutely brilliant. 10-14 and 16 I haven't played yet but I am told the later ones are the best.

I am wondering if it would have cost a great deal more to have sold this game with two boards? "Ovelord" Scenarios with both sea and land boards together would be interesting, for example you could do a river crossing scenario such as Operation Varsity, with paras and everything. I guess the extra board and more pieces could come in an expansion, along with 'advanced' die modifiers and all that other stuff. But then those who have bought their second set already would want three-board scenarios...

as for "suspension of disbelief", I like to remember the words of the great Jimmy Connors, who after being beaten by Boris Becker said: "i lost a war out there today" !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
I think John McEnroe has some good advice about playing these games:

"You CANNOT be serious!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.