Before the Black Throne

I'll avoid the spoilers, but wish you all a nice read cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Long Hin Man
msg tools
Or may be let me summarized something "important" after I optionally read the "non-story spoilers"---2 main aspects

Spoiler Warningdevil

1) Information about next campaign:

Spoiler (click to reveal)

(German)

Wir hoffen, dass ihr genau so viel Spaß daran hattet, Der gebrochene Kreis zu spielen, wie wir Spaß daran hatten, ihn zu schreiben. Ich verspreche euch, dass die nächste Kampagne nicht so bedrückend sein wird. Ich wage sogar einmal zu behaupten, es könnte die Kampagne eurer Träume werden …

(English)

We hope that you had as much fun playing The Circle Undone as we enjoyed writing it. I promise you that the next campaign will not be so depressing. I even dare say it could be the campaign of your dreams ...

2) New player cards

(German)
Neues Schlüsselwort: Gebunden Einige Spielerkarten in diesem Mythos-Packs besitzen das Schlüsselwort Gebunden. Karten mit diesem Schlüsselwort sind mit einer anderen Spielerkarte verknüpft. Sie haben keine Stufe und sind daher bei der Zusammenstellung der Decks nicht verfügbar. Stattdessen werden sie von der Karte beschworen, an die sie gebunden sind (deren Name steht in Klammern hinter dem Schlüsselwort). Falls ein Deck eine Karte enthält, die 1 oder mehr gebundene Karten beschwört, sollten diese gebundenen Karten zu Beginn des Spiels beiseitegelegt werden. Beispiel: Besänftigende Melodie besitzt das Schlüsselwort „Gebunden (Geweihter Spiegel)“. Dies bedeutet, dass sie an die Karte Geweihter Spiegel gebunden ist. Besänftigende Melodie hat keine Stufe und ist daher nicht verfügbar, wenn du dein Deck zusammenstellst. Geweihter Spiegel kann jedoch 3 Kopien von Besänftigende Melodie beschwören. Daher sollte ein Spieler, der Geweihter Spiegel in seinem Deck hat, 3 Kopien von Besänftigende Melodie zu Beginn des Spiels beiseitelegen. Diese Karten sind nicht Teil des Ermittlerdecks und zählen daher auch nicht gegen die Deckgröße des Ermittlers.

(English)
New Keyword: Tied Some player cards in this myth pack have the keyword Tied. Cards with this keyword are linked to another player card. They have no level and are therefore not available when compiling the decks. Instead, they are summoned by the card to which they are attached (whose name is in parentheses after the keyword). If a deck contains a card that summons 1 or more bound cards, these bound cards should be set aside at the start of the game. Example: Soothing melody has the keyword "Tied (Consecrated Mirror)". This means that it is bound to the card of the Consecrated Mirror. Soothing melody has no level and is therefore not available when you put together your deck. However, Consecrated Mirror can summon 3 copies of Soothing Melody. Therefore, a player who has Sanctified Mirrors in his Deck should discard 3 Copies of Soothing Melody at the beginning of the game. These cards are not part of the investigator's deck and therefore do not count against the investigator's deck size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Bühler
Switzerland
flag msg tools
That's bound, not tied, they were in a preview article already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmb
Eldan985 wrote:
That's bound, not tied, they were in a preview article already.
The names of those particular cards weren't, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Oakman
United States
Meadville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooooh such tantalizing tidbits of teasers. This sounds an awful lot like the next cycle is Dreamlands, and also the 'bonded' soothing melody card gives me hope for Patrice to show up. I'm not convinced that it isn't just a card crafted to include with Marie however. Either way, this is very exciting to me.

Thank you for sharing!

Investigator Predictions:
Mystic: Luke Robinson
Rogue: Gloria Goldburg
Survivor: Darrel Simmons/Wilson Richards (Or Patrice)
Seeker: Jacqueline Fine
Guardian: Daniella Reyes (or Lily)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
MagnusU wrote:
I'll avoid the spoilers
I won't, but I'm too lazy to write up an executive summary; so if anyone has specific questions but doesn't want to deal with german, feel free to ask.

(Encounter sets are probably a universal item of interest, but should be self explanatory from the icons. The Midnight Masks one is the Usual Treacheries again.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the next campaign spoiler:
First impulse is Dreamlands, but it could also be a more subtle Cthulhu suggestion, since dreams are how he communicates.
"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Bühler
Switzerland
flag msg tools
I'd love the idea of a Cthulhu campaign that goes into the dreamlands, where you fight big C in his dreams. At this point, I've done some variation of "ram him with a boat or shoot him with a shotgun" three or four times in various games, I'd love to see something new.

So, sign me up for "Cthulhu lies Dreaming"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldan985 wrote:
I'd love the idea of a Cthulhu campaign that goes into the dreamlands, where you fight big C in his dreams. At this point, I've done some variation of "ram him with a boat or shoot him with a shotgun" three or four times in various games, I'd love to see something new.

So, sign me up for "Cthulhu lies Dreaming"
I only meant that either could be implied here, but you can sign me up for both at once, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Eldan985 wrote:
"ram him with a boat or shoot him with a shotgun" three or four times in various games, I'd love to see something new.
"Ram him with a Skyship". Avant garde af.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Bühler
Switzerland
flag msg tools
I don't really associate New York with Cthulhu, but if someone wants to write a scenario where you crush Hastur with the Hindenburg, I'd be all over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
With the newly spoiled encounter sets, I've gone and created a full encounter chart for TCU. I didn't include the prologue (which is just At Death's Doorstep without the Lodge) and I listed the two versions of In the Clutches of Chaos separately (at least, I assume there are two versions; I didn't actually try to translate the setup instructions or anything). A few observations:
> After two whole campaigns of lulling us into a false sense of security, Ancient Evils makes its triumphant comeback at 4 scenarios, on par with Dunwich! Perhaps they've decided we're ready to suffer again.

> TCU has 2 sets that show up in 5 scenarios each, and 5 sets (including Ancient Evils) that show up in 4. Prior to this, the only 5-scenario set was Agents of Yig (Poison hardly counts as a set), and 4-scenario sets were fairly rare. Dunwich had 4, but half of them were from Core (Ancient Evils and Striking Fear). I have to admit, I kind of like the thematic consistency and the sense that you can plan for what's coming. It didn't work as well in Dunwich because Striking Fear was so generic and The Beyond was basically just Sorcery's embarrassing younger cousin, but I've enjoyed Inexorable Fate and City of Sins so far.

> You probably already knew this, but Wages of Sin makes Arkham history as the first non-standalone to eschew all core sets.

> Turns out Spectral Predators and Trapped Spirits are just 2-scenario sets. Kind of surprising; I thought at least one of them would be more prominent. Barring some more scenario-specific enemies, it seems we were premature to declare Relic weapons as extremely useful (though plenty of them are pretty nice anyway).

> Unlike Carcosa (with Decay & Filth / Hastur's Gift) and TFA (Rainforest / Serpents), TCU has no "redundant" encounter sets.

> With Midnight Masks, Blood on the Altar, and Threads of Fate, In the Clutches of Chaos becomes the fourth scenario that has you running all over the place in a New England town. Like the other three such scenarios, it features Nightgaunts. Does... does FFG just think those things live in New England? "Visit Sunny Massachusetts! Come for the clam chowder, stay because you've been kidnapped by winged dream monsters!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls