New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Questions?

If you tender forth questions, bring them with a mug in your hand.

I'll tell what I can.

Now, some of you be coming in and asking of some game. I know nothing of this. What do I know? I know the city of Bastone. I know the fear that lurks. I know the people and the places come afar.

Lore. Story. Legend. Most of it almost all true.

Ask.

Ask away.

NEW:
This thread and other submissions are being edited into Podcasts to listen to. Available at Spotify, Google, Apple and others. It will be broken into approximately half hour segments and posted as they reach a decent length.

First part here:
https://tainteddragoninn.com/podcast/fableman-tarrens-table-...

NEW 9/29
Part 2 Available here:
https://tainteddragoninn.com/podcast/fableman-tarrens-table-...

The most recent podcast opens with this link. At the time of this post, that's Tarren's Table Part 2.
https://podnews.net/podcast/1466973011/listen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Fableman Tarrens Table
Where can I get the best drink in Bastone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
Where can I get the best drink in Bastone?

The Broken Oak. If you can get away from Greycane. He sings too loudly.

Beyond that, no place holds candle to it. You ask for Yement's draft. Fine potato mash, burn a hole through your gullet it will, but you won't mind the pain.

Yement, he's sweet on Celeste from the underways. She let's him at first harvest. Pulls the best root for himself, so I heard. Makes a better mash.

The stuff's almost clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri R.
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Tell me of the folk who live in this city of Bastone; About their ambitions,dreams, hopes and woes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Nephilym wrote:
Tell me of the folk who live in this city of Bastone; About their ambitions,dreams, hopes and woes.

You speak of fairer times. You speak of different places. You've not traveled long the streets of Bastone.

Ambition? Ambition is the currency of the rich. A comfort and luxury not afforded here.

Hopes? To hope the wall holds. To hope they are never asked to step outside. To hope the outside never steps inside. Hope the guards stand strong. Hope for a meal. Hope to wake up tomorrow. Or maybe for some, to hope not to.

Dreams.

Now would come a thing to say.

Would I could say the same of dreams I have of hope. That there were none. But lately. Something is wrong in the dreams in Bastone. Everyone knows it, but few speak it. Grown men cry out in the night as children would. Others still sleep and sleep on through the day come dawn through supper. Some dreams stay with you when awake, and you still feel them. Still hear them. Still see. They claw at your waking moments.

I myself swear upon animus, Pot's Peace and oath. I've seen within my dreams something watching. Eyes like sunset. Breath like dust.

You could blame witches, you could blame a turned potato, you could blame the rain. I blame the Deepwood. These walls may be holding out the razorvine and the trees, the Ravagers and mire. The walls may make the scar chieftains take a step back. But something is feeling it's way in. Through crack and crevice, every chip and hole. Something presses at the back of the mind, like so much dirt on a cellar door.

Don't ask of dreams.

You want to know the ambitions of a Bastonian? To become someone who never dreams again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Bayliss

Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a place to find armory, aid and a good nights rest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
templebay33 wrote:
Is there a place to find armory, aid and a good nights rest?

As good as might be found, I would suppose.

As any good sized city, we've a Banksmith. Turn your iron to weapons or weapons to money as you see fit. I hear his trade price is fair, but I've never had quite enough iron on myself to take advantage of his particular skills.

I think you may find more here looking for aid than offering. If you mean a touch of blight or greenworm bite or somesuch, you can try the apothecary. She's a bit on the moody side, if you catch my meaning. Meaning if she get's up on the wrong side of the bed, quite the row you'll be in for. Watch what you say round her.

Stay away from those street kids, too. Not sure how much you can trust those rats. Always pulling shards from my tip plate.

Good night's rest. Ain't we all been looking for it? Ain't we all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Fistful of Meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
How long has it been since it was safe to travel beyond the walls?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Mightyjim wrote:
How long has it been since it was safe to travel beyond the walls?

You jest, right? Travel outside called safe? Before anyone in this city was born. Who knows how many generations afore that. May as well ask how long has there been potato.

Where do they find you people?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esben Heick
msg tools
mb
Who reigns here ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
esque wrote:
Who reigns here ?

Now that all depends upon what the scholars call scale, then, doesn't it?

Who reigns this room? That might right be me, now. The bar be reigned by Holsten Cor, been running place come near ten year now, I suppose.

But you think you're asking about Bastone. Reigns. More days than not, am I joking?

His Highest, Most Pompous, Never Broke A Sweat, Fat Bottomed, Palace Squatter Davenish holds his place under his pretty and manicured thumbnail as it were. I'm one of his top supporters, let me tell you.

But one thing he done right, that I will grant. Heard he sent word with a supply caravan a few sets back for a Free Company.

If we suppose that caravan ain't got ate by the Deepwood and no ill fate fallen, we might finally get some peace around these parts and maybe sleep without that one eye open behind your back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esben Heick
msg tools
mb
Geosphere wrote:

Who reigns this room? That might right be me, now. The bar be reigned by Holsten Cor, been running place come near ten year now, I suppose.
So if I walk out the door, who reigns the back alleys at night ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
esque wrote:

The Fableman takes a long, slow drink, lowers his stein and stares.

I've drunk not nearly enough to want to wake with my throat slit part. That's a question you'll not get answered, not by me, and a question never asked again in front of my eyes, understand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esben Heick
msg tools
mb
Geosphere wrote:
esque wrote:

The Fableman takes a long, slow drink, lowers his stein and stares.

I've drunk not nearly enough to want to wake with my throat slit part. That's a question you'll not get answered, not by me, and a question never asked again in front of my eyes, understand?

Whew, okay. I get the drift. Another topic then, one more fitting for a mug of ale. Tell me a story! What's the biggest, meanest thing you've lived to see in your life ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
esque wrote:
Tell me a story! What's the biggest, meanest thing you've lived to see in your life ?

Come what comes and come what may. Better head you've taken to now.

Alright. What I tell you be no children's tale, no fable, though that's the title I wear. I swear on Pot's Peace, oath and all. This is truth spoken as truth what was.

Must be near three year back now. I was with trade group gone to Verum and come back, pockets and bellies full. Moon bright. Seeing clear as clear could. Six of us gone from Bastone the last full moon. We come back seven. Edrick stayed in Verum, had cousins there, promised him a job carting. We come back with Young Tom and his new bride Aristel. Least that's what we left Verum with.

Usual deal. Join a trot group along the wire road, you carry packs. Harlbeck gave us two guardsmen, so we were four gone with packs, coming back with five. Trades was good. Mail, herb and tool for same.

Afore dawn we grab the wire.

Dusk falls. The guards done right. Cleared the vine, kept the wire clean.

Young Tom. We hear the sound. That sound of the wire when you pluck it. You know it. The low snap, like a lute played by a giant. Young Tom. There's a sound. A scream. Might be Young Tom. Might be what come and took. The woods were so deep there and smell of thundercap. Could see not five paces. Aristel. Her scream was clear. One moment there was her man, next, she wore his blood.

And it was pouring. Not rain, lad. Young Tom.

We looked up to the trunk and vine. It was larger than two buffalo, maybe three. More eyes it had than them. Mouth like a beak from a dried dead crow. Skin mottled grey, could be mud or scale. Great claws gripping the trunks, leaving the marks we all seen ten thousand times before.

A ravager.

A bristle with spine and muscled through like some wild dog. Looked crafted like torn from bark and trunk, the Deepwood come live. What's left of Young Tom hanging from that skull's mouth.

Could I say it had six legs or four, I will never be sure. Wiping bits of Aristel's groom from my eyes, we ran. We didn't look for his pack. we ran. You try, you know, you try when you run. To keep that one hand on the wire. It slows you. So you take steps, you grab it, you let go, all of us, plucking that wire to that damned sound, not wanting to lose sight of it.

The Deepwood gone quiet then. No more hiss and hum, rattle and caw. Don't know if it was the ravager come silent it, or us damn fool trader's thinking we could go to Verum and back and not die.

We know there's the old guardpost over the ridge, but we don't know how far. We don't know anything. We just know we keep running. And we hear it. By my dead mother, it was right behind us, running fast as us, but not on the ground. Trunk to trunk, vine to vine.

I'll never know, no matter how many times I nightmare it again, I will never know. How it got there.

But it was in front of us. Just dropped down. Thorned mass of beak, eye and muscle. The guards, now, Harlbeck's men, of course they carry just the light packs. They done what they should. Cut the straps and let the mail drop. Swords more ready than hearts, they stood.

I, lad, did not. The ravager steps into the woods off one side to circle round. I saw it and then not. The breathing, that hissing rough sound, I heard that. With the wire road cleared to the front, I ran.

Aristel in front of me screams, falls, and those guards, they fought that thing. Sword and claw, beak, eye and fist.

I may have run, but not without honor. I grab Aristel under her arms and take with. Behind us, beast and guard. In front, one man, I know not his name. Another, maybe more, run to the Deepwood. No need tell that tale.

Those guards fought hard and earned the iron for their wives, they did. Aristel and I make it to the guardpost. I don't know if they killed the ravager, or just got it too mad to follow.

Six gone to Verum. Seven head back. All that makes it to the gate with the guards from that guardpost come night is me and most of Aristel, less a leg the apothecary kept.

That's no fable, lad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esben Heick
msg tools
mb
Whats up with the wire? That dense out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
esque wrote:
Whats up with the wire? That dense out there?

The fableman sighs heavily and shakes his head, shoulders dropping.

I'm beginning to think it's that dense in here...

The Deepwood grows over any decent road in a moon's time if not a night. There's ruins out there aplenty for any fool to go look. Only bits of what was the strongest stone remains. And it's not like caravans be running out there trampling paths flat. The undergrowth spreads back just as dense in a fortnight.

So the wire.

Eyebolt of Iron, Struck deep to the tree.
Through it runs wire, As far as can see.
When you go trekking, keep wire in fist.
For if you let go, you soon will be missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone practice Magic here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:

You a witch?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
lfisher wrote:

You a witch?

Not I. Have you ever seen one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:

Not I. Have you ever seen one?

Might have. You know the apothecary, Lyceen? Not that rubbish old man by the underways, Garrin. I mean the woman,

I'm not one to spread rumors. Not for free, least not.

Heard more than one mouth speak she's with the elements, if you get me. She does good work, so I'm none to poke where not wanted. But she's done some healings and thing seem a right bit too good, if you understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Bayliss

Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the oathsworn fail, will more step up to the challenge of clearing the evil that lurks outside the walls?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
templebay33 wrote:
If the oathsworn fail, will more step up to the challenge of clearing the evil that lurks outside the walls?

When they fail. There is no if. That is the Oath. There are always more taking the Oath. And the Deepwood can never be cleared.

The Deepwood Is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is beyond The Deepwood?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
What is beyond The Deepwood?

If anyone has found an end to it, they've not come back to say. Not that I've heard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] |