Recommend
34 
 Thumb up
 Hide
42 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] Verde - an Azul in a Tin rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb



an Azul in a Tin


Hi. I - as a minimalist game designer - was quite intrigued when I found a Project SHRINKO! Tiny versions of big BIG games. I suggested couple of games that would pull-off a bit smaller footprint and one of them was Azul. I really like this game and thought it would be great if we could make it more portable. Hence there it is - a project Verde.

Size limitations
As I am willing to squeeze this tile-drafting game into a standard mint tin, there will be some neccessary component drop-outs.

Player and score board
There will be only one, mutual player and score board.
It's size will be also reduced - the dimensions will be only 4×4 spaces.
There is fixed amount of the tile stacks (factories) - always 5, regardless the player count.

Amount of tiles
As the board size will be smaller, there will be only 24 tiles in 4 colors and 1st player tile:
- 6× green
- 6× yellow
- 6× blue
- 6× white

- 1× 1st player tile

Mechanics
The mechanics remain the same. Player on turn chooses single stack of tiles and grabs all the tiles of the same color. Rest of them goes into the central pile or - in this case - a mint-tin lid. Grabbed tiles are then placed onto a player board to chosen line.

The scoring system stays pretty much the same, however the scoring itself is triggered as soon as the tile is placed on the main part of the board.

Player counts size of the line and row made by tiles that surround already placed tile and marks this score on the score track with their scoring token.

If the line is filled, player gets additional 2 points.
If the row is completed, player gets additional 5 points.

Sadly, the 7-point bonus for filling up every space of one color cannot be achieved.

All the penalty points are also marked in the same turn as they are given.

End of the round
The round lasts until all the stacks are depleted (both initial and lid-one). After that ALL placed tiles, except those in the preparation lines, are discarded into a tin, shaken and distributed into 5 stacks.

The game lasts 5 turns - after the last turn's end the player with highest score wins the game.

Files
Both PnP file and rulebook are available on the Google Drive here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vg61ILE5lISmZIkp2pwHgaKoyZ...

Need to say, you need additional 5 tokens - 4 score tokens for players and 1 token for tracking rounds.
24 
 Thumb up
6.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Changelog
Here will be added all the changes and updates made in the project.

2019-05-28 - project launched
2019-06-03 - graphics done
2019-06-03 - rules finalization
2019-06-04 - making PnP files, tin cover, logo
2019-06-05 - physical construction, playtests
2019-06-09 - PnP files rework, graphic enhancements
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Marek, I'm following you!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gonzalvez
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Subbed and bookmarked!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Skevington-Carter
United Kingdom
Bridgnorth
Shropshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really excited for this one - Azul is one game I can convince my family to play and I love anything that fits in a mint tin. Subscribed.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Luis Trapero
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mb
Suscribed! wish you good inspiration with the project ;)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Falun
Belgium
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Idem dito: I subscribed too to see how this evolves. Good luck!

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Just wanted to let you people know that the works on the graphics continue. This is just a working draft, sort of calculating the space and layout of the areas, so the colors, tones and details will most certainly change.

I am no graphics designer; you might know my minimalist approach from contests I participated in, so this fully graphic game board is quite a challenge for me.

I would like to make a small tri-fold game board (4×7"). When folded, it should fit into the tin with no issues, as the folded dimensions (2×3,5") are the same like Mint Work cards. As for tiles, I would like to make a thick cardboard ones (check out Majolica) that would be easy to manipulate with.

Fun fact: you can fit 24 tiles from original Azul into the standard mint tin, they fit perfectly.

9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Skevington-Carter
United Kingdom
Bridgnorth
Shropshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it already Marek. And folding boards are my new skillset - a tiny one is exciting. Great job!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I consider the graphics as pretty much done. If you have any ideas how to enhance it, let me know - as for me, I continue to the phase 2 - rules formatting, followed by making PnP files, tin cover and - finally - physical creation.



And, of course, it couldn't be a proper Azul-wannabe without advanced board


Edit
OF COURSE, I forgot to change bonuses for complete rows and columns! PnP won't suffer this horrible error!
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
For today I tried to make a tin cover, a logo and fit the rules to as small space as is convenient. I am already shaking with nerves, because formatting the rules and pushing them into graphics was the worst part of every project since... well I started to design the games. I really cannot work with graphic text.

10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
It looks awesome Marek! And I know what you mean about writing rules...

Hey, I wonder if saying "a game by Marel Kolcun" might be a bit strong, given that this is basically a game by Michael Kiesling (Azul), adapted by Marek Kolcun. If the publisher saw your statement they might be more inclined to chase you than if you attribute the original designer and say that you have "adapted" it. Just a thought!

I look forward to trying it out once you have nailed the rules! (good luck)
JK
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
It looks awesome Marek! And I know what you mean about writing rules...

Hey, I wonder if saying "a game by Marel Kolcun" might be a bit strong, given that this is basically a game by Michael Kiesling (Azul), adapted by Marek Kolcun. If the publisher saw your statement they might be more inclined to chase you than if you attribute the original designer and say that you have "adapted" it. Just a thought!

I look forward to trying it out once you have nailed the rules! (good luck)
JK

You're right. I was making this at about 01.00 at night, I didn't think about mentioning original designer.

I'll update the title on both logo and cover later, Azul and Mr. Kiesling alone deserve to be mentioned there.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejan Rackovic
Montenegro
Podgorica
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I like what I'm seeing here Marek, keep it going!
Graphics on your games always look clean and made well enough so don't stress about it.
Looking forward to this.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. "Ponder" Rummy
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
"there are many ways you can pay your rent, but that’s not really who you are, and the rest of the time you can polish a little part of your mind until it’s bright enough for someone else to notice." - Jerry Holkins
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystael wrote:
JohnKean wrote:
It looks awesome Marek! And I know what you mean about writing rules...

Hey, I wonder if saying "a game by Marel Kolcun" might be a bit strong, given that this is basically a game by Michael Kiesling (Azul), adapted by Marek Kolcun. If the publisher saw your statement they might be more inclined to chase you than if you attribute the original designer and say that you have "adapted" it. Just a thought!

I look forward to trying it out once you have nailed the rules! (good luck)
JK

You're right. I was making this at about 01.00 at night, I didn't think about mentioning original designer.

I'll update the title on both logo and cover later, Azul and Mr. Kiesling alone deserve to be mentioned there.
i remember seeing a discussion like this before where a designer indicated that their name should not be on the front of the adapted thing because that might accidentally look like the designer had given input or his blessing regarding the project. maybe more appropriate to mention them in the rules?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Rumbelow wrote:
Mystael wrote:
JohnKean wrote:
It looks awesome Marek! And I know what you mean about writing rules...

Hey, I wonder if saying "a game by Marel Kolcun" might be a bit strong, given that this is basically a game by Michael Kiesling (Azul), adapted by Marek Kolcun. If the publisher saw your statement they might be more inclined to chase you than if you attribute the original designer and say that you have "adapted" it. Just a thought!

I look forward to trying it out once you have nailed the rules! (good luck)
JK

You're right. I was making this at about 01.00 at night, I didn't think about mentioning original designer.

I'll update the title on both logo and cover later, Azul and Mr. Kiesling alone deserve to be mentioned there.
i remember seeing a discussion like this before where a designer indicated that their name should not be on the front of the adapted thing because that might accidentally look like the designer had given input or his blessing regarding the project. maybe more appropriate to mention them in the rules?

I was thinking about it from the moment I replied to JohnKean, and from this perspective it makes sense NOT putting designer's name on the lid. However, I find it okay to honor the original game's title. That's why I was playing with multiple title variations, and these are three finalists I ended up with (spontaneously sorted from most likeable to least):

Marek Kolcun's
VERDE
an Azul in a tin

VERDE
an Azul game by Marek Kolcun

VERDE
an Azul adaptation by Marek Kolcun

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I like the third one the best. Also, kudos on an amazing adaptation!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Let me inform you that first version of both PNP files and rulebook is available!

You may find them in the Google Drive - the link is in the original post, Files paragraph.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank R.
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mystael wrote:

VERDE
an Azul adaptation by Marek Kolcun

Hello Marek

nice adaptation of Azul. I'l prefer the third on as title.

Just a little question: How did you invent the name.

VERDE is italian and means GREEN.

Greets Frank
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
WhiteEagle77 wrote:
Mystael wrote:

VERDE
an Azul adaptation by Marek Kolcun

Hello Marek

nice adaptation of Azul. I'l prefer the third on as title.

Just a little question: How did you invent the name.

VERDE is italian and means GREEN.

Greets Frank
Thank you!

The initial idea was to use the color name, just like Azul stands for blue in Portugese.

To be honest, I violated Google Translator for this purpose and searched for another color, that sounds quite good in portugese. Although, additionaly, azul is derived from word azulejo, which - if I remember correctly - stands for tiles themselves, I am pretty satisfied with the title Verde as is, despite the fact it lacks any hidden meaning.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
That struģgle when you want to make good quality components and they end up being too large to fit into the tin cry

7 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gonzalvez
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Solution: larger-size tin.

This isn’t the mint tin contest, there’s no rule that these Shrinko games *have* to fit inside a mint tin.

Maybe the mint tin is in our minds.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
DrHenryArmitage wrote:
Solution: larger-size tin.

This isn’t the mint tin contest, there’s no rule that these Shrinko games *have* to fit inside a mint tin.

Maybe the mint tin is in our minds.

I know this is no kind of contest, well, if I don't count the each designer's personal contest, whether we are able to minify the game or not.

I set my own limitations and wanted to put this game into standard tin, mainly because I was waiting about 8 months for 20 tins to arrive from across the globe. It kinda sucks when I then fail myself because of stupid miscalculations, but on the other side the game works quite good.



The main difference is - and every player of original Azul approves that - the feeling quite different. It's because every turn the board is basically wiped-out and hencefore players play five distinct plays rather than single one, where you can admire your own creation at the end. Minified version doesn't have such feeling what can put somebody's expectaions down, but on the other side the board is mutual for all players, so there are more cutthroat situations, where players have to take and place the tiles not to benefit themselves, but to cut the opponent from move for a lot of points. It is much more cutthroat game than original one.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
It looks so beautiful Marek! Well done on that. I was going to print it today but wasn't sure what I needed - from Azul I expected to need a board for each player. So I printed Epidemic instead But from your previous post I take it that you just use one board. I'll print it out later in the week for a try out.

I need to update my geeklist with this and the other ones coming out with finished components.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siddhant RAI
India
flag msg tools
Hey Marek, you've taken a Kiesling game and given it a Knizia touch. This game has immediately became a favourite in my gaming group for the fierce interaction it has now. Verde is so much about blocking.
Beautiful artwork and great treatment to an already great game.
One query, the pnp has the row bonus as 2VPs and column bonus as 5, we've been playing with the same, is it correct?

Also, don't you think the first player in each round now has a major disadvantage of just making a single VP, now that the board clears off each round? How does that work? It just pains bad to be the first player in a round.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |