Sean Kleve
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings gamers,

Last night at my local game night I discovered that I've been playing an important rule wrong in Stone Age for YEARS! I've played so many games of Stone Age (probably been in my collection since 2012) and it's one of my favorite board games. I've taught the game to countless individuals as I use it to introduce new gamers to worker placement games.

Have you ever had this experience? Is there a game that you have played for years and years that you suddenly learned you were playing wrong? Please tell your story!

I'm simultaneously embarrassed by my error and also pleased because I now feel like Stone Age is a new game in my collection. As it turns out, the game is much better with the rules as written...

In case you're interested, during phase one of each turn, I used to play where each player places ALL of his/her workers at once rather than indicated in the rules where you place as many workers as you want on a single available spot. This drastically changes the flow and tactics of the game.

The other issue I'm realizing is how much it helps to play outside of your family/home game group. I only recently started playing in a local game group with gamers I don't know outside of gaming. As a result, I'm not the only person who knows the games I'm teaching. I wonder what other rules I've learned wrong in my favorite games... Only time will tell!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to any one's surprise but I had never read the rules for Monopoly most of my adult life and thought money in the center of the board and unlimited house/hotels, yadda-yadda-yadda....since I woke on the rules I have yet to play the game but am now wanting to at least try it one last time with the written rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn van Dessel
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had similar experiences.

I always suggest to anyone out there to reread the rulebook to every game they own after a few first plays.

The first time learning a game it is easy to miss, forget, misinterpret a rule. There is always so much to take in. So once you are familiar with a game going through the rulebook will quickly point out anything you are doing wrong.

I am speaking from experience. just recently realised a mistake in how I playedThe Voyages of Marco Polo that was fixed after a re-read after a few plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For years we played Bohnanza such that you could uproot any field, when in fact you can’t uproot a field with only 1 bean unless you only have fields with 1 bean.
We may know the real rules now, but my brother still prefers to play it the way we had been doing. -which means I have to adjust depending on who I’m playing with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan McMurray
United States
Bowling Green
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Attika was one of the first games I bought when I started building my collection, and it's seen plenty of play since then. It took well over a decade before I realized that I had been wrong about a couple of key parts regarding amphorae.

These days, after I play one of my new games once or twice I spend some time scouring the forums here to see what sort of questions other people have had, which occasionally uncovers something I missed along the way. I also make sure I actually read the rulebook. I'll occasionally watch a video on how to play, but once I read that rulebook I'll develop a reference point for when something comes up during play. It's far easier to say "I saw that around page 3" than "it was somewhere around the 17 minute marker...."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Maybe I'll just stay home and play KDM.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obidiah wrote:
For years we played Bohnanza such that you could uproot any field, when in fact you can’t uproot a field with only 1 bean unless you only have fields with 1 bean.
We may know the real rules now, but my brother still prefers to play it the way we had been doing. -which means I have to adjust depending on who I’m playing with.

What.

So, I've been playing Bohnanza wrong for years now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro
Italy
Verona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Similar to this we played Agricola wrongly for a long time.
We solved the actions (following board position I guess, don't remember...) after all workers were placed shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
Turn the right corner in Sin City...
badge
...and you can find anything.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Robinson Crusoe wrong so that everyone gets/looses determination tokens not only the starting player.

Somehow the game feels easier now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SittingBull wrote:
We solved the actions (following board position I guess, don't remember...) after all workers were placed :shake:

You mean you played Agricaylus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
1) In Thurn and Taxis, you technically start with a -20 point deficit (1 pts for each station), since each station you have unplaced at the end is -1 point.

2) I was initially taught that the carriage points stack, which is incorrect. If I end up with a level 6 carriage, the final point value for carriages is 7, not 17 (2+3+5+7).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro
Italy
Verona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Squidd wrote:
SittingBull wrote:
We solved the actions (following board position I guess, don't remember...) after all workers were placed shake

You mean you played Agricaylus.

LOL

This would have been a valid argument if we ever played Caylus before...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David op De Beeck
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
koalaguy4566 wrote:
I wonder what other rules I've learned wrong in my favorite games... Only time will tell!

or re-reading a manual
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Horton
United Kingdom
York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been playing Smash Up wrong for so long, and successively found so many new things we were doing wrong, that we basically have never been playing Smash Up, but what we have been playing is fun so we don't care laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I learned Bohnanza at a FLGS gaming event from a store employee. They taught the game incorrectly and it was only later when I played with another group when I discovered the error. My family prefers the messed up rule (which makes the game easier). That taught me to always read the rules, even if I've already been taught the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My main group gets rules wrong sometimes, but it's usually pretty obvious to someone in the group when we do.

Example: Our first game of Agricola, we misread the rule and awarded one bonus animal per two animals you had. My friend Ho promptly accumulated all the sheep cubes included with the game, which indicated that we were probably doing something wrong.

Pete (thinks we're an especially good group when it comes to exploiting broken rules, so a wrongly interpreted rule is usually abused quickly)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play many games over and over within a short period of time. I may play a game today and not play it again for a year or more (no matter how much I like it). Therefore, I need to read the rules almost every time I want to play something. So, there is little chance that I will play something wrong over a period of several years. For any game, I probably read the rulebook (and the BGG rules forum) 5 or 6 times over the course of 2 or 3 years. I think I spend more time reading than playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan McMurray
United States
Bowling Green
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thosw wrote:
1) In Thurn and Taxis, you technically start with a -20 point deficit (1 pts for each station), since each station you have unplaced at the end is -1 point.

2) I was initially taught that the carriage points stack, which is incorrect. If I end up with a level 3 carriage, the final point value for carriages is 6, not 15 (4+5+6).

Thurn and Taxis is another one that I screwed up. When you place the houses across multiple provinces, you need to choose only one: do you place one house per different province in your route, or do you place multiple houses within only one province in your route? That's drastically different from how I originally learned, which was "drop a house on each new city in your route regardless of the province." The game works well enough either way, but it's definitely a deeper game when playing by the correct rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
You should really buy it!
badge
Friday, June 28 2019!
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Catan: Cities & Knights where walls stop the barbarian attacks. We did this for years without noticing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Targi wrong for a long time. We were placing our Targis on the raid turns, making the game 20 turns instead of 16.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Farrenkopf
United States
Williston
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's kinda funny how you can miss small rules that change everything about a game. We played Trajan wrong for years. I had reviews on in the background at work and I heard them say about how you could only move your action markers clockwise...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Singleton
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RageGoblin wrote:
Obidiah wrote:

What.

So, I've been playing Bohnanza wrong for years now...

This is a fairly common one. I remember it showing up on a geeklist many years ago... ah, here it is : What did we do wrong this time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clwe
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
Yep, we've all done it. My longest-running rules flub (a relatively minor one, though) has to be with Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game. Apparently, all players must discard a card when a villian escapes with a bystander. I had no idea (or perhpas, completely forgot) this rule existed until recently, when I read the rules to the newest expansion and it hinted at this base-game rule.

To say I was surprised was an understatement blush Thankfully, I only ever play this game with one other person, so my blushes were mostly spared. There's also the fact that it's geared towards co-op play, and the game can be quite hard enough without that rule at times...so eh, maybe I'll forget about it. Again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Glöde
Sweden
Svitjod
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One reviewer of A Game of Thrones: Catan – Brotherhood of the Watch actually played the game wrong. He stands corrected now.
Re: Mostly Minor Characters but the Atmosphere of Westeros and North of the Wall is still prevalent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For our first 10 or so plays of Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game my husband and I got a rule wrong. This mistake made the game even more difficult than necessary- and even with the change it's still a disgustingly hard-to-win game.

For those who care to know: the rule we got wrong was that we kept flaw cards in our hands after they were played (they are supposed to be destroyed once played).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Glory to Rome wrong for years. The rules say "one in-town site per player". We took that to mean that each player can only claim one, then must use 2 actions to claim an out-of-town site. This meant that any player can prevent that end-game trigger from happening. In reality, you use one per player, but any player may claim them, and hence, any player can force end of game by burning through them quickly. Much better now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.