Rob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Positivity is fucking rad
badge
So is Pokemon
mbmbmbmbmb
TEXAS WEREWOLF XIV

Painstakingly recreated from Shushnik's OP, and with thanks for BlackSheep for originating the set, and others for continuing to run it afterwards =)

Balance is attempted, but not guaranteed.

In this game each player receives two role cards.

Previous games of this type:
Texas WW I - Good wins!
Texas WW II - Evil wins!
Texas WW III - Good wins!
Texas WW IV - Good wins!
Texas WW 5.1 - Good wins!
Texas WW VI - Good wins!
Texas WW VII - Good Wins!
Texas WW VIII - Good Wins!
Texas WW IX - Evil Wins!
Texas WW X - Evil Wins!
Texas WW XI - Good Wins!
Texas WW XII - Good Wins!
Texas WW XIII - Good Wins!

Previous iterations of this variant were run by Blacksheep, Violintides, clockworkd, Redshark, Phelanpt and shushnik. I thank them for their blessing in allowing me to continue the series! I also copied the bulk of this intro text from shushnik's most recent game in the series.

The basics:

If you have a red Evil card (Werewolf/Sorcerer card) you are EVIL (no exceptions). You win when the wolves reach parity with the good team.

If you do not, you are good. You win when all wolves are killed.

Side note: All "hidden" attributes will be revealed upon death.
(i.e. Tinker-Villager would be revealed, regardless of conversion or not, as long as both priests are alive)

Dusk is at 12:00PM BGG time.
Dawn is at 12:30PM BGG time.

NOTE: I accept orders/votes and posts up to X:00. Any vote or order with a Timestamp of X:00 is ON TIME and WILL be counted. Any vote or order with a timestamp of X:01 is LATE and WILL NOT be counted.

Reveal upon death is based on the number of Priest cards still in the game. If both priests are alive, both cards are revealed. If one priest is alive, one card is revealed at random. If both priests are dead, no cards are revealed.

Example: A Werewolf/Woodcutter is lynched. His/her retaliatory kill is targeted at a Priest/Villager. Both die. For the Werewolf/Woodcutter both cards are revealed, as both priests are alive at that point. For the Priest/Villager, one card is revealed at random, as one priest is now dead.

The cards:

Three(3) Werewolves
You share a chat, count for parity, and jointly kill one target each night.

One(1) Sorcerer
You view each night and are told if your target is a seer or not. You start with a random negative view. You will be informed of the idenity of one wolf. The random negative view candidates WILL include a Seer that is also the Hidden Tinker(Seer/TinkerVillager), if such a creature exists. Counts as good for parity.

Two(2) Lovers
You share a chat with the other Lover. If one is killed, the other dies too. Even if the other is the Knight.

Two(2) Masons
You share a chat with the other Mason.

Two(2) Priests
You affect role reveal as above.

One(1) Woodcutters
You may retaliate when killed, immediately killing your target.

One(1) White Hat
Your cards will both be revealed upon your death, regardless of priests.

One(1) Black Hat
Your cards will never be revealed upon your death, regardless of priests.

One(1) Troublemaker OR Politician OR Mayor OR Councillor
One of these four roles will be in the game.
Troublemaker: Once per game you may privately declare to the mod during the day phase, no less than four hours prior to [dusk] that two people will be lynched. This will then be publicly announced 4 hours before lynch, and the first AND second vote earners will be lynched that day.
Politician: If you are voting for the player that is lynched on any day, you permanently gain 1 vote strength. If you are not voting for the player that is lynched on any day, you permanently lose 1 vote strength.
Mayor: Once per game you may privately declare to the mod a target who will receive +/-25% of the alive population (rounded down) in votes, your choice.
Councillor: Once per game you may privately declare to the mod during the day phase, no less than four hours prior to [dusk] that nobody will be lynched. This will then be publicly announced 4 hours before lynch, and the top vote earner will not be lynched that day.

One(1) Hidden Knight
You survive the first time you would be killed, by any means (NK, lynch, or brutal) that happens to you. A Lover/Knight will still die if their lover dies. You are not informed when you survive a kill. This Knight card will be listed as 'Villager' on your roles (i.e. a Hidden Knight). Examples: Werewolf-Villager could be a hidden Knight. Villager-Villager could be a hidden Knight.

One(1) Hidden Tinker
Will be listed as "Villager". IF VIEWED BY SEER: You will be viewed as a human if a wolf, and as a wolf if a human. IF VIEWED BY SORCERER: You will be viewed as a non-seer if a seer, and as a seer if not. This Tinker card will be listed as 'Villager' on your roles (i.e. a Hidden Tinker). Examples: Werewolf-Villager could be a hidden Tinker. Villager-Villager could be a hidden Tinker.

Twelve(12) Villagers
You gain no extra abilities from this card. Technically there will be 14 Villager roles assigned because of the hidden tinker and hidden knight.

One(1) Seer
Starting N1, you view each night and are told if your target is a wolf or not. You start with a random negative view. The Random negative view candidates WILL include a Wolf that is also the Hidden Tinker(Wolf/TinkerVillager), if such a creature exists.

One(1) Apprentice Seer
Starting N1, you view a target each night. If the Seer is dead or does not survive the night, you are told whether your target is a wolf or not. You do NOT start with a random negative view. If your other card is Seer, you become tough to one kill.

The following role combinations will NOT be in the game: Werewolf/Sorcerer, Seer/Sorcerer, Werewolf/Werewolf, Werewolf/Seer, Werewolf/Apprentice Seer, Sorcerer/Apprentice Seer, DOUBLE Werewolf/Mason, Mason/Mason, DOUBLE Werewolf/Lover, Lover/Lover, White Hat/Black Hat. Any other combination is possible.

Role name on Cassie lists both your cards. So the standard unpowered good is (usually) listed as a Villager-Villager (with two hidden roles, you MAY have a power). Cards are ordered randomly, so someone with a Werewolf card and a Mason card could be either a Werewolf-Mason or a Mason-Werewolf.

A Villager-Villager would have a role type of Villager; a Mason-Villager would have a role type of Mason; a Werewolf-Mason would have a role type of Werewolf. Werewolf is dominant, Villager is recessive. If there are two applicable role types (for example, Black Hat-Mason) then one will be chosen randomly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Order of Night Actions
(all of which must be received no later than 12:30 PM BGG/central time).
1. Night kill action.
2. Seer view.
3. Dawn posted with any kill(s) (if there were any).

Sequence of Play

The sequence of play lasts one full day, starting when I post [dawn]. At that point, discussion begins and the village will try to find the evil wolves.

Dusk will fall at 12:00pm BGG time. At that time, whoever has the most votes will be lynched (or no lynch will occur, if applicable) and the vote count will be reset to zero.

There is NO Night posting

During the night, the werewolves will submit a Night Kill order for one player (I will take the most recently submitted NK order). The seer will submit their night orders. All orders are to be submitted to me in Cassandra Chat. It is located on the Cassandra Game page for this game by clicking on "Cassandra Communication System".

At 12:30pm BGG time, I will reveal who (if anyone) was killed and reveal the victim's role cards as modified by the amount of priests still alive. Role card reveals will match the role card list, unobfuscated by hidden traits or promotions. The seer will receive their view results. Then [dawn] will be posted which begins a new day of voting.

Voting

Votes are cast using player's names in brackets, bolded. Like this:
[vote SarahBoBara]

The name is not case sensitive and can sometimes be shortened. Be sure to watch for the Vote Tally to make sure you vote was recorded properly.

You can remove your vote similarly:
[unvote SarahBoBara] or [unvote all]

You do not need to unvote to change your vote. Simply submit the new vote.

We currently do not have a formal definitive list of “unwritten rules” and etiquette, but here are some general guidelines:

- Do not attempt to play the same game under more than one name.
- Do not bring outside influences into the game - this includes threats, bribes, wagers, promises, alliances, etc.
- Do not talk outside the game thread about an ongoing game except where allowed to do so by your role. Likewise, do not use code or secret messages--this equates to discussion outside the thread.
- All communication is to be in English. Attempts to use any other language equates to discussion outside the thread.
- Do not delete posts, try not to edit (or at least write "EDIT: why you edited").
- Do not quote communications from Cassie chatrooms. Paraphrasing is usually okay.
- Do not talk after you are dead or replaced. Some moderators do allow contentless "Bah!" posts which should have zombie emoticons. You should never reveal information once you are dead.
- At dusk and dawn (12:00PM and 12:30PM BGG) there will be no talking, even if dusk or dawn have not yet been called, until the mod releases the thread for discussion. Plan your communications according to the clock.
- Try not to make it personal. Try not to take it personally.
- Play to win the game.
- Have fun. Your mod hates you and hopes you die painfully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Project
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player List According to Cassandra:
BerenCamlost
cvb2009
Dake
dejojam1
Farren
Irina_Phoenix
Jedit
Littlelambchopx
ortho_
PaperF
RoyalApe
Smugs
stonecutter129
Vanderscamp
whirlingdervish

15 players are signed up.

To sign up for this game go to
http://cassandrawerewolf.com/game/2212023

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hibou
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
With Trigun being this lock consensus good read for so many people, I find it really bizarre that she's alive. There's a threshold where if she's still alive she should probably be murdalated.
badge
Born to be a king, I ask one thing in return: a front seat to watch Earth burn.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one that I've always thought was good-sided, and the results support that. It might be worth opening a discussion of tweaking if you're interested!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
So is Pokemon
mbmbmbmbmb
ljtrigirl wrote:
This is one that I've always thought was good-sided, and the results support that. It might be worth opening a discussion of tweaking if you're interested!

Absolutely =)

For this kind of thing, I'd need advice from others anywho - I'm hot garbage at balancing heh!

What do you think about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hibou
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
With Trigun being this lock consensus good read for so many people, I find it really bizarre that she's alive. There's a threshold where if she's still alive she should probably be murdalated.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Rorab wrote:
ljtrigirl wrote:

Absolutely =)

For this kind of thing, I'd need advice from other anywho - I'm hot garbage at balancing heh!

My initial inclination is some combo of:
Cultist to Wolf Cub that has to be NKed to promote
Make a designated Brutal WW and make an invalid combo Brutal WW/Woodcutter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Westwood
Kansas
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
Smile!
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Rorab wrote:
ljtrigirl wrote:

Absolutely =)

For this kind of thing, I'd need advice from other anywho - I'm hot garbage at balancing heh!

I think something in the neighborhood of:

Option 1: Make it 17 players

Add a wolf card, add a villy card.

---

Option 2: Keep it at 15 players

Turn Cultist into a 3 wolf.

---

Option 3: Lower it to 13 players

Turn Cultist into a weaker aux, like a Traitor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hibou
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like any of those too.

Maybe a Witch instead of a Traitor? Traitors usually count for parity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
So is Pokemon
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely think you're (both) right about needing to have more than just 2 wolves. Converting the Cultist to just straight up wolf seems the most simplistic option - but I don't want to discount what you said Elj - do you think it would run better with promotable Cub and brutal wolf?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madeline B
msg tools
No mountains, no valleys
badge
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level and then beat you on experience.
mbmbmbmbmb
ljtrigirl wrote:
I like any of those too.

How much is there for witch to block? Seer? Sorcerer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokah
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Even when you don't feel it.
badge
Prioritize your own life, or someone will prioritize it for you!
mbmbmbmbmb
ljtrigirl wrote:
I like any of those too.

I've more experienced Traitors that are just villagers who work for Team Evil, I wouldn't expect a traitor to count for parity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Westwood
Kansas
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
Smile!
mbmbmbmbmb
ljtrigirl wrote:
I like any of those too.

A Witch would be good. I was trying to think of a different aux type and was stumped for something I like at all. I always forget about Witches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Westwood
Kansas
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
Smile!
mbmbmbmbmb
A Beholder card that either confirms a good if you are good or an unknown evil teammate if you are evil would be neat as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
So is Pokemon
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend not to be the hugest fan of the Traitor role personally, just based on the lack of things you can know to weight your plays - but that might just be personal preference heh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Westwood
Kansas
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
Smile!
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Rorab wrote:
I tend not to be the hugest fan of the Traitor role personally, just based on the lack of things you can know to weight your plays - but that might just be personal preference heh.

One of the reasons I suggested it here is with other cards in play - you have chance to be less boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokah
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Even when you don't feel it.
badge
Prioritize your own life, or someone will prioritize it for you!
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Rorab wrote:

Yeah, I think it is the minority personality around here to like a role that is: You don't know anything or do anything but vote, try to make the evil team win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
So is Pokemon
mbmbmbmbmb
RoyalApe wrote:
The_Rorab wrote:

One of the reasons I suggested it here is with other cards in play - you have chance to be less boring.

laugh

Ignore me I'm a moron that despite putting the set up forgot temporarily about the dual role thing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Westwood
Kansas
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
Smile!
mbmbmbmbmb
madelineb wrote:
ljtrigirl wrote:
I like any of those too.

How much is there for witch to block? Seer? Sorcerer?

If it was a 13 player game, I think that's enough really?

Could also potentially allow them to block the woodcutter/knight abilities? That would potentially be confusing vs conventional wisdom though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
So is Pokemon
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'd prefer to make a smaller change first before going into more changes - I think if no-one objects, I'll shift the Cultist to a third wolf?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hibou
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Rorab wrote:
I definitely think you're (both) right about needing to have more than just 2 wolves. Converting the Cultist to just straight up wolf seems the most simplistic option - but I don't want to discount what you said Elj - do you think it would run better with promotable Cub and brutal wolf?

Nope, just a 3rd wolf looks solid to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
So is Pokemon
mbmbmbmbmb
Soooo, now you've advised me some, you lot are gonna play now right? whistle

(Only do so if you actually want to, not because I did faux-guilt-tripping!) heart
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hibou
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Rorab wrote:
Soooo, now you've advised me some, you lot are gonna play now right? whistle

(Only do so if you actually want to, not because I did faux-guilt-tripping!) heart

I won't.

The last time I played this set put a super bad taste in my mouth for it.

But I'd consider a later game replacement!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelci
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YEEHAW YEEHAW YEEHAW Y'ALL!!! UNCLE TED IS READY TO PLAY TEXAS NO HOLD'EMS BARRED WEREWOLF!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
So is Pokemon
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh

You're the best, Kelci =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelci
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@ 0:20

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day (she/her)
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I may or may not be a Wolf, but I'm definitely wolfing
badge
I am a cloud
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran a similar game that Evil won, which might help with balancing if you look it over: https://cassandrawerewolf.com/game/1853981

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [84] |