Recommend
10 
 Thumb up
 Hide
2088 Posts
[1]  Prev «  79 , 80 , 81 , 82 , 83  Next »  [84] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » PBEM » Werewolf

Subject: Texas Werewolf XIV rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin
United States
Westwood
Kansas
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
Smile!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stonecutter129 wrote:
RoyalApe wrote:
stonecutter129 wrote:
Sorry if I dragged that out for too long, but I really hate conceding and I was considering doing it all of yesterday, but I hate not doing it if there was a one in a million shot of me winning, and it would have caused for a catastrophic play by Whirling/Farren, and I would t wish that on either of them.

no worries stone. I stand by fact that the concession argument is just bad in general.

I think being woodcutter is what completely sunk you here.

There's a lot of reasons why we didn't win.

I wanted Ortho dead on N1 and didn't realize it was only a 30 minute night, and I was doing a Pokémon go ex raid and didn't change it.

I didn't realize the apprentice seer got a view on N2 and the Irina kill was dumb. I would have actually killed Royal over CVB though

I didn't know app seer got view on N2 until it was pointed out to me in thread. sorry you missed that.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dake Jimson
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Why's the sky blue? Why's water wet?
badge
Why did Judas rat to Romans while Jesus slept?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RoyalApe wrote:
RoyalApe wrote:


I think being woodcutter is what completely sunk you here.

in hindsight, probably something NOT to claim as evil in this set.

good point. never considered that. stone could have floated with just vill/vill. and the only fallout is "where is the woodcutter?" questions. which won't get much attention.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dake Jimson
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Why's the sky blue? Why's water wet?
badge
Why did Judas rat to Romans while Jesus slept?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RoyalApe wrote:
stonecutter129 wrote:
RoyalApe wrote:
stonecutter129 wrote:
Sorry if I dragged that out for too long, but I really hate conceding and I was considering doing it all of yesterday, but I hate not doing it if there was a one in a million shot of me winning, and it would have caused for a catastrophic play by Whirling/Farren, and I would t wish that on either of them.

no worries stone. I stand by fact that the concession argument is just bad in general.

I think being woodcutter is what completely sunk you here.

There's a lot of reasons why we didn't win.

I wanted Ortho dead on N1 and didn't realize it was only a 30 minute night, and I was doing a Pokémon go ex raid and didn't change it.

I didn't realize the apprentice seer got a view on N2 and the Irina kill was dumb. I would have actually killed Royal over CVB though

I didn't know app seer got view on N2 until it was pointed out to me in thread. sorry you missed that.

i would not have assumed it. that's pretty powerful and not what i'm used to.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Farren Bronaugh
United States
Auburn
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
I *am* smiling.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, now I'm never going to get satisfaction on what I really wanted to know - in good|Stone world, was stone's confidence that whirling was Evil genuine or feigned?

We'll never know now. cool
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Positivity is fucking rad
badge
So is Pokemon
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dake wrote:
RoyalApe wrote:
RoyalApe wrote:


I think being woodcutter is what completely sunk you here.

in hindsight, probably something NOT to claim as evil in this set.

good point. never considered that. stone could have floated with just vill/vill. and the only fallout is "where is the woodcutter?" questions. which won't get much attention.

The problem with this though is would people have moved FROM Stone as the D1 lynch had he claimed Vill/Vill? I can definitely see how claiming V/V might be more optimal, but it's also more risky.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Westwood
Kansas
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
Smile!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Rorab wrote:
So, talking about the set, let's talk set balance.

What are people's thoughts on it? Obviously I converted an aux to a 3rd wolf - and obviously it's gonna be so unaccountably swingy based on roles, but what are people's thoughts in general?

Personally, I can't say I'm a huge fan of the Apprentice Seer role. I thought cvb played it BRILLIANTLY, but as a role, I'm not a huge fan.

I'd like app seer better if it didn't get a view order each night. but ya, it's the role that is toughest on evil.

I'd like it better if only one of seer/app seer was guaranteed on good.

I'd like Tinker/Knight removed from role possibilities. With 3 wolves, that's just gross!

I also don't like the Mayer/Troublemaker/whatever the other 2 option role is. Pick 1 or 2 as straight cards IMO and not have that been an unknown card slot.

And yes, cvb nailed playing that role. I'd never have the nerve to stay as calm and collected as he did.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Sit tight, but the revolution's years away /I'm losing faith and I'm running low on things to say
Avatar
mbmbmb
The_Rorab wrote:


Personally, I can't say I'm a huge fan of the Apprentice Seer role. I thought cvb played it BRILLIANTLY, but as a role, I'm not a huge fan.

Agree. At a bare minimum, I think that night killing the original Seer should cause a gap of one night's views.


In this game, this was the functional equivalent of a Seer with 5 views by the time the game ended.

My two views, me clearing myself by claiming, cvb's two views, and him claiming.


Obviously, evil in some games can fight the Seer claims and with partial/no reveal it can be less obvious what's going on. But it seems like in a lot of cases the Seer power is stronger than you see in games of this size.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dake Jimson
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Why's the sky blue? Why's water wet?
badge
Why did Judas rat to Romans while Jesus slept?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
agreed about the app seer. if you have it at all. i think the gap is necessary. only being circumvented by that lynch brutal thing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Rorab wrote:
Dake wrote:
RoyalApe wrote:
RoyalApe wrote:


I think being woodcutter is what completely sunk you here.

in hindsight, probably something NOT to claim as evil in this set.

good point. never considered that. stone could have floated with just vill/vill. and the only fallout is "where is the woodcutter?" questions. which won't get much attention.

The problem with this though is would people have moved FROM Stone as the D1 lynch had he claimed Vill/Vill? I can definitely see how claiming V/V might be more optimal, but it's also more risky.

I certainly wouldn't have.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dake Jimson
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Why's the sky blue? Why's water wet?
badge
Why did Judas rat to Romans while Jesus slept?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
would it ever make sense for a GOOD to brutal the seer at lynch to circumvent the gap, or would that be too crazy?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Westwood
Kansas
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
Smile!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ortho_ wrote:
The_Rorab wrote:


Personally, I can't say I'm a huge fan of the Apprentice Seer role. I thought cvb played it BRILLIANTLY, but as a role, I'm not a huge fan.

Agree. At a bare minimum, I think that night killing the original Seer should cause a gap of one night's views.


In this game, this was the functional equivalent of a Seer with 5 views by the time the game ended.

My two views, me clearing myself by claiming, cvb's two views, and him claiming.


Obviously, evil in some games can fight the Seer claims and with partial/no reveal it can be less obvious what's going on. But it seems like in a lot of cases the Seer power is stronger than you see in games of this size.

most role cards are alignment independent though - that's a factor.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Positivity is fucking rad
badge
So is Pokemon
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There was definite chatter in dead chat about potentially a 5th evil, or a reduction to a 13er with the same composition of evils - thoughts there - or would an Apprentice Seer change be sufficient?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dejojam1 wrote:
The_Rorab wrote:
Dake wrote:
RoyalApe wrote:
RoyalApe wrote:


I think being woodcutter is what completely sunk you here.

in hindsight, probably something NOT to claim as evil in this set.

good point. never considered that. stone could have floated with just vill/vill. and the only fallout is "where is the woodcutter?" questions. which won't get much attention.

The problem with this though is would people have moved FROM Stone as the D1 lynch had he claimed Vill/Vill? I can definitely see how claiming V/V might be more optimal, but it's also more risky.

I certainly wouldn't have.

Maybe if he claimed Councillor or something, and let Lamb pretend to be woodcutter?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stone
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Ant Man Joke
badge
2nd Ant Man Joke
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Rorab wrote:
So, talking about the set, let's talk set balance.

What are people's thoughts on it? Obviously I converted an aux to a 3rd wolf - and obviously it's gonna be so unaccountably swingy based on roles, but what are people's thoughts in general?

Personally, I can't say I'm a huge fan of the Apprentice Seer role. I thought cvb played it BRILLIANTLY, but as a role, I'm not a huge fan.

Beren and I actually had this conversation last weekend, about including the apprentice seer in bigger rl werewolf sets of like 30 people. I personally hate them, because I think the evil team should be rewarded for N1 killing the seer, and it doesn't really shift the game that much to not have the seer. I believe in this game, goods still would have won because their reads were on point. Irina was lynchable, but I think there's a good chance the next lynches would have been Irina, Lamb, Stone, Beren, Paper in some order. Royal, Whirling, CVB, and dejo were all great and good probably wins anyways.

It also just creates too much reliance on things anyways, and the tinker is supposed to counter-balance that, but mechanical mislynches where the seer gets a hit on a tinker villager, or even worse the village loses because a tinker wolf is cleared, is in my opinion the worst and least fun outcomes in all of werewolf. It makes the game less based on reads and more on mechanics.

It also means the seer can come out on D1 in pressure, knowing they have an apprentice seer behind them, and good should be punished for running up the seer, or evil pushing the seer if they think they found them.
2 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Westwood
Kansas
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
Smile!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dake wrote:
would it ever make sense for a GOOD to brutal the seer at lynch to circumvent the gap, or would that be too crazy?

when I still thought the gap was there, I considered floating that idea on d2 along with my own lynch to keep the apprentice seer hidden and guarantee app seer to get a view opportunity that night.

I ultimately decided 2 good deaths wasn't worth it - and then found out that the gap wasn't a thing anyway.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stone
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Ant Man Joke
badge
2nd Ant Man Joke
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RoyalApe wrote:
The_Rorab wrote:
So, talking about the set, let's talk set balance.

What are people's thoughts on it? Obviously I converted an aux to a 3rd wolf - and obviously it's gonna be so unaccountably swingy based on roles, but what are people's thoughts in general?

Personally, I can't say I'm a huge fan of the Apprentice Seer role. I thought cvb played it BRILLIANTLY, but as a role, I'm not a huge fan.

I'd like app seer better if it didn't get a view order each night. but ya, it's the role that is toughest on evil.

I'd like it better if only one of seer/app seer was guaranteed on good.

I'd like Tinker/Knight removed from role possibilities. With 3 wolves, that's just gross!

I also don't like the Mayer/Troublemaker/whatever the other 2 option role is. Pick 1 or 2 as straight cards IMO and not have that been an unknown card slot.

And yes, cvb nailed playing that role. I'd never have the nerve to stay as calm and collected as he did.

He did nail it, had the right amount of suspicion to not be NKed and not enough to be lynched.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Westwood
Kansas
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
Smile!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Rorab wrote:
There was definite chatter in dead chat about potentially a 5th evil, or a reduction to a 13er with the same composition of evils - thoughts there - or would an Apprentice Seer change be sufficient?

A 5th evil would need to be an aux - not a wolf. Remember than a tinker is still a powerful thing for evil - both on a good and one a wolf.

A 13er that removed apprentice seer would be interesting - but I'd want it to be 2 wolves/2 auxes then too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stone
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Ant Man Joke
badge
2nd Ant Man Joke
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stonecutter129 wrote:
The_Rorab wrote:
So, talking about the set, let's talk set balance.

What are people's thoughts on it? Obviously I converted an aux to a 3rd wolf - and obviously it's gonna be so unaccountably swingy based on roles, but what are people's thoughts in general?

Personally, I can't say I'm a huge fan of the Apprentice Seer role. I thought cvb played it BRILLIANTLY, but as a role, I'm not a huge fan.

Beren and I actually had this conversation last weekend, about including the apprentice seer in bigger rl werewolf sets of like 30 people. I personally hate them, because I think the evil team should be rewarded for N1 killing the seer, and it doesn't really shift the game that much to not have the seer. I believe in this game, goods still would have won because their reads were on point. Irina was lynchable, but I think there's a good chance the next lynches would have been Irina, Lamb, Stone, Beren, Paper in some order. Royal, Whirling, CVB, and dejo were all great and good probably wins anyways.

It also just creates too much reliance on things anyways, and the tinker is supposed to counter-balance that, but mechanical mislynches where the seer gets a hit on a tinker villager, or even worse the village loses because a tinker wolf is cleared, is in my opinion the worst and least fun outcomes in all of werewolf. It makes the game less based on reads and more on mechanics.

It also means the seer can come out on D1 in pressure, knowing they have an apprentice seer behind them, and good should be punished for running up the seer, or evil pushing the seer if they think they found them.

Like, at the very least, I think if the seer is NKed, the apprentice seer should not get a view that night.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Positivity is fucking rad
badge
So is Pokemon
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RoyalApe wrote:
The_Rorab wrote:
There was definite chatter in dead chat about potentially a 5th evil, or a reduction to a 13er with the same composition of evils - thoughts there - or would an Apprentice Seer change be sufficient?

A 5th evil would need to be an aux - not a wolf. Remember than a tinker is still a powerful thing for evil - both on a good and one a wolf.

A 13er that removed apprentice seer would be interesting - but I'd want it to be 2 wolves/2 auxes then too.

The 5th would be an aux yeah, and the idea of a 13er would be the same composition of evil as this game just gone.

I think regardless, either I'd like to introduce the App gap as I'm calling it or remove the role for something else entirely though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day (she/her)
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I may or may not be a Wolf, but I'm definitely wolfing
badge
I am a cloud
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stonecutter129 wrote:
The_Rorab wrote:
So, talking about the set, let's talk set balance.

What are people's thoughts on it? Obviously I converted an aux to a 3rd wolf - and obviously it's gonna be so unaccountably swingy based on roles, but what are people's thoughts in general?

Personally, I can't say I'm a huge fan of the Apprentice Seer role. I thought cvb played it BRILLIANTLY, but as a role, I'm not a huge fan.

Beren and I actually had this conversation last weekend, about including the apprentice seer in bigger rl werewolf sets of like 30 people. I personally hate them, because I think the evil team should be rewarded for N1 killing the seer, and it doesn't really shift the game that much to not have the seer. I believe in this game, goods still would have won because their reads were on point. Irina was lynchable, but I think there's a good chance the next lynches would have been Irina, Lamb, Stone, Beren, Paper in some order. Royal, Whirling, CVB, and dejo were all great and good probably wins anyways.

It also just creates too much reliance on things anyways, and the tinker is supposed to counter-balance that, but mechanical mislynches where the seer gets a hit on a tinker villager, or even worse the village loses because a tinker wolf is cleared, is in my opinion the worst and least fun outcomes in all of werewolf. It makes the game less based on reads and more on mechanics.

It also means the seer can come out on D1 in pressure, knowing they have an apprentice seer behind them, and good should be punished for running up the seer, or evil pushing the seer if they think they found them.

I pretty much agree with all this.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Rorab wrote:
RoyalApe wrote:
The_Rorab wrote:
There was definite chatter in dead chat about potentially a 5th evil, or a reduction to a 13er with the same composition of evils - thoughts there - or would an Apprentice Seer change be sufficient?

A 5th evil would need to be an aux - not a wolf. Remember than a tinker is still a powerful thing for evil - both on a good and one a wolf.

A 13er that removed apprentice seer would be interesting - but I'd want it to be 2 wolves/2 auxes then too.

The 5th would be an aux yeah, and the idea of a 13er would be the same composition of evil as this game just gone.

I think regardless, either I'd like to introduce the App gap as I'm calling it or remove the role for something else entirely though.

If you add an aux, you could make it aux seer. If you drop to 13, you could remove it entirely.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stone
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Ant Man Joke
badge
2nd Ant Man Joke
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RoyalApe wrote:
The_Rorab wrote:
There was definite chatter in dead chat about potentially a 5th evil, or a reduction to a 13er with the same composition of evils - thoughts there - or would an Apprentice Seer change be sufficient?

A 5th evil would need to be an aux - not a wolf. Remember than a tinker is still a powerful thing for evil - both on a good and one a wolf.

A 13er that removed apprentice seer would be interesting - but I'd want it to be 2 wolves/2 auxes then too.

I disagree.

There's also just more things that have it going for good too. There's some awkward villager crunch scenarios for evil that could doom them if too many villagers die. Wolves essentially have to hide as villagers in that sense if both get wolf/villager, and that could screw them up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Farren Bronaugh
United States
Auburn
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
I *am* smiling.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RoyalApe wrote:
dejojam1 wrote:
Sorry we weren't more interested in your ideas about Whirling Farren. I just felt that if it wasn't Paper (which I could see as possible after all those discussions), it was Stone, who we weren't lynching now anyway.

I was willing to listen to a whirling/royal discussion. that would have been interesting to me since our profiles were very very similar.

I was *not* looking forward to this, for the record.

I have to assume stone's Good regardless because if he isn't (in my eyes) it doesn't matter - so I have to play as if one of you is Evil. And as you both correctly pointed out, both you and Whirling were heavily pro-Good the whole game.

So I'd have to go on a digging spree on both - which would make me look even more Evil by the minute to everyone involved.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Westwood
Kansas
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
Smile!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Rorab wrote:
RoyalApe wrote:
The_Rorab wrote:
There was definite chatter in dead chat about potentially a 5th evil, or a reduction to a 13er with the same composition of evils - thoughts there - or would an Apprentice Seer change be sufficient?

A 5th evil would need to be an aux - not a wolf. Remember than a tinker is still a powerful thing for evil - both on a good and one a wolf.

A 13er that removed apprentice seer would be interesting - but I'd want it to be 2 wolves/2 auxes then too.

The 5th would be an aux yeah, and the idea of a 13er would be the same composition of evil as this game just gone.

I think regardless, either I'd like to introduce the App gap as I'm calling it or remove the role for something else entirely though.

I don't think I'd like a 13er with 3 wolves, an aux and a tinker card in play.

Let's ax the app seer and tinker cards. Introduce some other weak cards for people.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Westwood
Kansas
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
Smile!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Farren wrote:
RoyalApe wrote:
dejojam1 wrote:
Sorry we weren't more interested in your ideas about Whirling Farren. I just felt that if it wasn't Paper (which I could see as possible after all those discussions), it was Stone, who we weren't lynching now anyway.

I was willing to listen to a whirling/royal discussion. that would have been interesting to me since our profiles were very very similar.

I was *not* looking forward to this, for the record.

I have to assume stone's Good regardless because if he isn't (in my eyes) it doesn't matter - so I have to play as if one of you is Evil. And as you both correctly pointed out, both you and Whirling were heavily pro-Good the whole game.

So I'd have to go on a digging spree on both - which would make me look even more Evil by the minute to everyone involved.

fwiw, until your final day, I did think you read soundly good too. Your final day felt like wolf desparation to me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  79 , 80 , 81 , 82 , 83  Next »  [84] |