James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
He's already got a similar expansion for GP that he's working on... but if the TM expansion tanks it's unlikely that the publisher would go ahead with the GP one.

Yeah, I didn't really want to say this outright just yet. SpaceTrucker pretty much stated a lot of the relevant points of why an expansion with additional mechanics would be more difficult to make for Gaia Project compared to Terra Mystica. However, I'm very confident that Merchants will be well received.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CardBoard Bear

near Los Angeles
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I need an expansion for GP that lets me find agreeable local players so that I can actually play it.

I personally started board gaming after TM and before GP, so I own the latter but not the former, so I won't be buying TM expansions but I'd be interested in GP ones (I can't imagine I'm the only one in this situation).

About the board gaming business being a risk...well that's perhaps why KS exist. Even if a publisher does not normally do KS, you could always consider a KS for an expansion you're not certain how it'd be received.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play via PBF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Clark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I thought you'd look here...the answer is slightly cryptic
badge
Water has many forms, mostly in the form of hexes
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:

If I have been designing and playtesting Merchants for about 1.5 years, what makes you think that I don't already have a version for Gaia Project?

That'd be cool, esp. if it had more round tiles, end tiles, boosters etc. and the missing 7 automa factions.

Quote:
The only other high profile games that I can think of that have done this are Caverna with The Forgotten Folk and Scythe with Rise of Fenris and My Little Scythe. I am not sure, but I think Twilight Imperium 4 also used a lot of the fan expansion ideas from TI3.

Wasn't the encounters pack for Scythe based on fan ideas too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yes, you are correct. I can’t remember if that was actually a request or contest for fan ideas. The bonus landscape tiles for Terra Mystica was a fan contest also. Those are slightly different because the publisher is asking for fan submissions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve C wrote:
JamesWolfpacker wrote:

If I have been designing and playtesting Merchants for about 1.5 years, what makes you think that I don't already have a version for Gaia Project?

That'd be cool, esp. if it had more round tiles, end tiles, boosters etc. and the missing 7 automa factions.

Quote:
The only other high profile games that I can think of that have done this are Caverna with The Forgotten Folk and Scythe with Rise of Fenris and My Little Scythe. I am not sure, but I think Twilight Imperium 4 also used a lot of the fan expansion ideas from TI3.

Wasn't the encounters pack for Scythe based on fan ideas too?

Yes it was and the same goes for the Wind Gambit expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceTrucker wrote:
For Gaia I could very well imagine a smaller expansion or mini expansions with additional or changed components, like either additional or another set of boosters, tech tiles, final scorings, federation tokens, maybe slightly different map tiles,... (all considering that drastic changes will most likely also shift the balance in the game).

I'd be very happy to see something like this - more so than to see a big box with a bunch of new mechanisms. I'm a little surprised that the discussion has mostly been around the upcoming TM expansion (that adds new mechanics) and how that relates to GP, when there are already two successful expansions for TM (one a big box, one a small promo) that use this sort of "new data" model for content. Fire & Ice adds a new map, new factions and endgame scoring; the promo adds new towns, round scoring and a booster. Neither, to my mind adds universal new mechanics (the new mechanics in F&I are entirely contained to the factions they're relevant to, although I can see that others might think this counts). It'd be great to se ethose used as a model for GP, as SpaceTrucker sort of suggests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
also there were various promos (like the extra town tiles) without TM isn't really playable with 4-5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Egel
Germany
Solingen
Deutschland
flag msg tools
Jack Spirio wrote:
sabgfan wrote:
Because not everyone thinks GP is an infinitely better game.
but objective it is

In every detail where GP is different from TM, obviously GP is waay better. It seems like GP is not just the next generation of the game but a more improved and intelligent version with all the little things fixed that did work not so well with TM.
Even if you would ask hundred people if "chess" or "ludo" is the better game im sure many people do prefer ludo.

I totally get that people have different opinions and taste and stuff but the only things I could imagine why people would prefer TM over GP is because in TM there is a little more competition about building space and maybe people like that.
Or maybe GP could feel to complex for some players, but then why would they even play TM if they where not into complex eurogames.
Oh yes and lets not forget about those people who dont like plastic material as a matter of principle. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oedipussy Rex
msg tools
yonek wrote:
Even if you would ask hundred people if "chess" or "ludo" is the better game im sure many people do prefer ludo.

I had to google Ludo and why would anyone play Ludo when there's Parcheesi? So I have to question your use of "many".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
yonek wrote:
In every detail where GP is different from TM, obviously GP is waay better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Taylor
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CardBear wrote:
I need an expansion for GP that lets me find agreeable local players so that I can actually play it.

I personally started board gaming after TM and before GP, so I own the latter but not the former, so I won't be buying TM expansions but I'd be interested in GP ones (I can't imagine I'm the only one in this situation).

About the board gaming business being a risk...well that's perhaps why KS exist. Even if a publisher does not normally do KS, you could always consider a KS for an expansion you're not certain how it'd be received.

Play solo. It's gooooood
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jun Hu
China
Beijing
Beijing
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ice & Fire is pretty innovative, while it comes with terrible balance issues.
Ice factions work fine, while they are simply a homeless base faction.
Fire factions can ruin an opponent's day, while losing to the other opponent who didn't get ruined.
And the colorless factions are cancer.

If the designers want to make a innovative GP expansion, they have a long way to go on balance issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hyf934 wrote:
Ice & Fire is pretty innovative, while it comes with terrible balance issues.
Fire factions can ruin an opponent's day, while losing to the other opponent who didn't get ruined.

If the designers want to make a innovative GP expansion, they have a long way to go on balance issues.
The balance issues make the TM expansion a no-go for me. I owned it and sold it for that reason. I like the non-race stuff it added, but I didn't want to have to deal with the imbalanced races (or even try to keep up with the discussions of the tweaks/fixes).

That expansion taught me that I need to wait and see on future expansions for TM (and GP).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hyf934 wrote:

Bang on accurate assessment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jun Hu
China
Beijing
Beijing
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thunkd wrote:
The balance issues make the TM expansion a no-go for me. I owned it and sold it for that reason. I like the non-race stuff it added, but I didn't want to have to deal with the imbalanced races (or even try to keep up with the discussions of the tweaks/fixes).

That expansion taught me that I need to wait and see on future expansions for TM (and GP).

I will purchase TM expansion 2 if it comes with an improvement to 2p games. (which is a must have)
Otherwise, I have to wait for detailed reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
There is not an improvement specially targeted for 2p games, but the mechanics do improve play at 2p since it increases player interaction due to the ship trade to gain vp and resources and giving the opponent power charge. You can’t trade to the same location again so then players have incentives to upgrade places already traded to so they don’t get the best rewards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Stone
Australia
Wavell Heights
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever expansions are planned (or not) for GP, I really hope that they fit seamlessly into the Automa.

GP is such a good solo game. The Auomta Factory did an amazing job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Helbig
msg tools
mbmbmb
And that's why GP will get also an Expansion. On the one hand the other factions need also an Automa, on the other hand new races, new Endgame scoring tiles and round bonuses are pretty welcome. I think, Feuerland Spiele had told in an interview last year, that a expansion is already planned and in development.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.