A Maracle
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
OverText is such a 23rd centruy fad.
mbmbmbmbmb
As I keep writing these reviews, I have a tendency to look to the past as opposed to the present when picking games. It is probably because I cannot afford to buy every new kids game out there, so I have to “go with what I know”.

Sometimes, it is just the fact that the classics never go out of style.

On a recent outing to an amusement center, Lady X received a strange game as a prize. She had never seen or heard of such a thing and asked me if I knew anything about.

I turned over the little plastic package in my hands and nodded sagely at her.

“You’ve got a game called Pick Up Sticks.” I told her. “I don’t suppose you want to learn how to play.

After we arrived back home and settled it, I sat down and taught Lady X how to play. An hour later, she still wanted to play and I remain convinced that the classics never go out of style.

Initial Thoughts

Every time I get a game of Pick Up Sticks, it brings back a lot of childhood memories. You had a good chance of getting this manual dexterity game as a birthday gift or as a prize at a fish pond.

Object Of The Game

The first player to reach the agreed final score first wins the game.

Components

Like many classic games, Pick Up Sticks comes in many variations. A typical set consists of between 25 and 41 sticks. The sticks can be made of wood, plastic or metal in some cases. There are even instructions on how to make you own set (or even a giant outdoor set) of [GAMEID-6424] on the Internet.

Gameplay

A random method is used to determine who will go first.

On a player’s turn, they should hold all the sticks upright with one end touching the table. Then, the player will open his hand quickly and allow the sticks to scatter on the table.

Once the sticks have fallen, the player then must pick them up one stick at a time. If he causes any of them to move, his turn is over and it is the next player’s turn.

The set I have contains 30 sticks and we play to a set score of 200 points. The scoring and number of sticks breaks down as follows:

1 Black: 25 points (may be used as a tool to pick up sticks)
     7 Red: 10 points
     7 Blue: 5 points
     8 Green:2 points
     7 Yellow: 1 point

Strategy v.s. Luck Factor

There are only two questions you have to ask yourself when playing this game: how steady is your hand and what kind of scatters will you get?

This is a dexterity game and those with a shaky hand or large fingers will be at a disadvantage. There have been some comments that little fingers have a definite advantage, but I think that children’s impatience will cancel out that advantage.

As was mentioned in the Gameplay section, the Black stick can be used as a tool once retrieved (meaning you can use it to move other sticks). I was never very good at using it as a tool, so I went after it mainly for the points.

Closing Thoughts

Until I bought Gulo Gulo, this game was a staple in our house. The kids loved the colored sticks and enjoyed waiting for me is mess up.

I think that Gulo Gulo is a superior game in a lot of aspects, but you really cannot beat the price of a game of Pick Up Sticks. You can pick up a cheap wooden set up at a dollar store and it is a good game to travel with.

Recommendation Summary

Wyll's Recommendation: thumbsup

Fun Factor (5 Point Scale): 3

One Line Summary: A classic dexterity game that is suitable for ages 4 and up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review!
I hate this game b/c my hand is never very steady (too much coffee perhaps? ;-) )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Maracle
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
OverText is such a 23rd centruy fad.
mbmbmbmbmb
I never really appreciated the game until the girls began getting it treats from restraunts and such. I started showing them how to play and it made me think of what kind of games I had to play with as a kid... and Pick Up Sticks was one of the big ones.

And you're right... shaky hands and big fingers put me at a disadvantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.