Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS in Boulder was recently contacted by the Boulder History Museum, and they referred them to me to see if I'd be willing to teach and play some games on Sundays during a 3 month exhibit featuring leisure time in the past.

This past Sunday was the opening day, and was quite successful. I had close to a hundred people playing games over the 4 hours I was there. It was wildy chaotic, but incredibly positive and fun.

I set up one table with quick learning and fast playing games. I initially used Quarto, Fire and Ice, Category 5, Pickominos, Coloretto, Hive, Can't Stop, and Buccaneer.

I had a second table set up simply to display games. I wanted some eye candy for people to admire, so they could see the kind of games being produced now. For that table I had The Pillars of the Earth and Master Thief. No one was playing these two, but many people admired them and asked questions about them.

My initial goal wasn't so much to play full games, as it was to give people a taste of different games, that they could learn quickly. Experience shows me that the main reluctance for many people is dreading having to learn the games. I swear the average american is convinced we're all born with the knowledge of how to play monopoly, and they fear venturing further.

After a couple hours, there were so many people wanting to play games, I had to take down the displays so we could get more games in play. At that point I broke out Gang of Four, and some people started playing full games, rather than sampling just a few rounds.

My participation in the exhibit will be Sundays from noon to 4:00 pm. I won't be there every Sunday, but as often as my schedule allows. Every week I attend, I'll be bringing an assortment of games, many of the quick play variety I mentioned, but also more in depth games for repeat attendees.

The local newspaper showed up and did a nice article on the event. It was a quarter page on page 3, and should get lots of notice. My part in the event is mentioned, (though they spelled my name wrong) and the museum director called after the article came out and told me the game playing was a big part of the success. He said many parents had told him they were pleased to see their kids get so excited about something that didn't involve television or computers. The parents themselves were surprised at how much THEY enjoyed the games, too, though some just watched and enjoyed seeing their kids have fun.

If you live in the area and want to know more, get in touch with me. I've already been in touch with the Colorado Military History Game Club, and they may be doing a miniatures display in November.

Here's a link to the article:

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2007/oct/08/lid-comes-off-ga...

Jeff Binning

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squeeker
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, wow i live in Boulder and had no idea this was going on i am pretty excited. I know what I am doing this Sunday. Woop Woop!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fine job, Jeff! Cheers, New Mexico Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cramer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks like quite a bit of fun! A great game that has a Western US historical theme is Lost Valley. Congratulations on the nice blurb!

--Littleton Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
In June (I believe), the Greeley Musuem is having a Asian game exhibit as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Um, wow i live in Boulder and had no idea this was going on i am pretty excited. I know what I am doing this Sunday. Woop Woop!

Due to prior committments, I won't actually be there this Sunday the 14th, but will be back the following week. Hope to see you there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Game Junkies
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Nice! I will definitely look into making it to the museum on the 21st!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started contacting a few people individually who have been in touch with me about the museum gaming, and then I thought it might be good to let more people know.

Tomorrow, Dec. 2nd, from noon until 4:00 pm, I'll be at the museum teaching and playing games, and it's a free day, so no admission charge. A good time to stop by and get some gaming in.

I'll have a large variety of games available, but feel free to bring along your favorite. The games I'm bringing are all very light, and easy to teach, as most of the folks showing up aren't hard core gamers. Not yet, anyway!

The response has been great over the weeks, with many visitors returning just to play games. The exhibit is there through January 7th, and I'm there with games every Sunday through the 7th.

Hope to see you there!

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.