Root» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Marquise victory by points? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bob lawblaw
msg tools
mbmb
Hey,

New Root player here. Got the game a week ago or so and have played ~10 games. Disclaimer: these have been solo plays, so I know I'm missing the table-talk diplomacy element of the game. That being said, I feel like I've for a good grasp of the general strategic through-lines of the four base game factions (I've got a copy of the Riverfolk Expansion on the way).

I've had success finding victory with all four factions, but the only way I've been able to win with the Marquise is through a Dominance victory. This seems pretty effective generally (focus on building Recruiters, spam Cats onto the board, take 3 matching clearings with huge armies and hold tight). The Dominance cards seem tailor-made for the Marquise way more than any of the other factions (the only other one that seems like Dominance victory is even plausible is the Eyrie).

All that being said, is there a realistic way to win by Points as the Marquise? The combination of limited actions and limited building spaces seems like a really tough combination to overcome.

Just wondering if I'm missing something, or if it's just Dominance or bust with the Marquise.

Thanks for the insights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Building plus crafting is viable for the Cats. It's a bit dependant on the card draw, though.

I don't think building alone or building plus attack is enough usually.

It helps if they are first in turn order so that they might get that one extra turn over the other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy to hear you have a copy of ROOT and are enjoying it!

I have played the cats and against them quite a few many times.

I mostly play 3 and 4 player games, and in that number count you are hard pressed to win via building and crafting with the cats.

There is just not enough real estate for them to build/craft their way to victory with that many players and especially experienced players who will keep the kitties in check.

Whoever plays cats at this point in our group knows the best strategy to win is through Dominance.

I'm not saying it is impossible to win through building and crafting, BUT if you played the game with us and tried that strategy; I'd almost guarantee your loss.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like groupthink, I've seen the Marquise win through building + crafting several times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob lawblaw
msg tools
mbmb
Ren3 wrote:
Sounds like groupthink, I've seen the Marquise win through building + crafting several times.

Can you elaborate more on the cards/conditions that would lead to a good opportunity for this, and some of the strategy to accomplish it? As I said, my plays have been solo so I'm very much a product of groupthink (group of 1).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnston
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The 2 rabbit crafting cards that give extra actions are a good start. They get rid of the worst of the cats limited actions. Try to save 2 and/or 3 point cards eg coins/tea for the last couple of turns. A favour, generally of the rabbits I find, helps (that's usually worth a few points). Buildings and knocking out sympathy add steady points.
Your big problem is obviously keeping ahead of the birds and well ahead of the fast finishing Vagabond and WA! If your behind go dominance every time because you won't overtake them again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MJ
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Somewhere, designer Cole Wehrle has admitted two thirds of his Marquise victories have been Dominance victories.

I'd love to play more Root to understand what makes the Marquise so particular in this regard...Right now, my only guess is that, like a general observation to be made about the Marquise, that initial control of the woodland is illusory; she must dramatically consolidate her power to prove her right to rule. And the true value of that initial but illusory control is the freedom to choose what/where to control. No other faction has that freedom at the start of the game.

But re: points, there are threads here using (some) data to demonstrate how the Marquise really does score points slower than all other factions. Getting yourself extra actions helps with that.

But I think it also depends on the game. If you can manage to get points at an "equivalent" rate, that you're slowing down other factions (the Vagabond & WA in particular, more so than the Eyrie)...then you're able to balance the rate of turns in which you can all score points at, more or less, the same rate. The mid-game is the crucial moment for this.

In the diaries, Cole's also described the above dynamics in terms of hydraulics. So, it's certainly in the game by design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Marley
msg tools
mjroxas wrote:
Somewhere, designer Cole Wehrle has admitted two thirds of his Marquise victories have been Dominance victories.

I'd love to play more Root to understand what makes the Marquise so particular in this regard.

The Marquise's greatest strength is a legion of troops. They have an army larger than any other, can generate troops quickly with recruitment centers, and can keep their units with field hospitals. Further their buildings help maintain rule in an area.

So its a very viable strategy for them to just amass huge numbers of troops in the key clearings needed for a domination strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Chu
msg tools
Stalker0 wrote:
mjroxas wrote:

I'd love to play more Root to understand what makes the Marquise so particular in this regard.

The Marquise's greatest strength is a legion of troops. They have an army larger than any other, can generate troops quickly with recruitment centers, and can keep their units with field hospitals. Further their buildings help maintain rule in an area.

So its a very viable strategy for them to just amass huge numbers of troops in the key clearings needed for a domination strategy.

The reason why dominance works is because getting recruiters = card draw = more field hospitals / more actions

It means you focus on controlling with your army and it syncs up your building, your army, all towards end goal of dominance.

Crafting or attacking for points leaves you more vulnerable or just going straight for buildings for mere point value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trung Vương
Vietnam
flag msg tools
Yeah i also find it as a problem with Marquise.
I think the way Marquise score points is too predictable and the way the Cats rule every clearings at the start of the game seems to make other player blame other player for letting the Cats win via score but not accept the victory.
Anyway i think it can be done by building workshop near your base, craft a lot, get the recruiter near the center in case of needing a dominance and use most of your warriors to move, rule and build up sawmills (i think its best to have only 2 sawmills at the start of the game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
One of the big reasons the cats have a better chance at dominance on the base, non-randomizes map is that their keep is next to 2 places of a faction type. Generally, you will control these spaces directly next to your keep (if you aren’t then you probably have bigger problems or bird is blobbing to move through your territory...had this happen more than a couple of times to me). You then need to control a 3rd which usually is 2 spaces away. Then you just have to control them for victory. The trick to keeping dominance is the darned birds only have to send a number of pieces equal to your warriors and buildings in one spot, as compared to you needing to split your forces between 3 to keep control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.