Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure many of you who frequent these Combat Commander forums know the current plight of Chad Jensen and his battle with cancer. If you haven't already, please visit the Go Fund Me link provided and help him to reach his goal.

https://www.gofundme.com/help-chad-with-chemo

Anyone who knows me, knows I am passionate about the board gaming hobby. I have played nearly 1,000 different games in the last fourteen years. Over 150 of those I have played ten times or more. All that said there is only one game (or series of games) I call my favorite and that is Combat Commander.

In my mind Chad has created the perfect game. It is the game I always wanted to play as a kid, but it didn't exist then. It is a war game, but can also be accessible to players who like other genres through it's card driven mechanics. The best thing is CC tells an amazing, engaging story with each play. It wards off the staleness some war games can get with repeated plays by providing near limitless scenarios through the genius of a random scenario generator. Of course, I am just repeating things that anyone who plays CC already knows and loves about the game.

Chad has shown off his game design talents in other genres with Dominant Species, Urban Sprawl and Welcome to Centerville. Never traversing far from his war game roots is his Fighting Formations which never got as much fanfare as CC, but is excellent in it's own right. It should be noted that throughout the process for all of his designs and play testing he has had the support of his wonderful wife Kai, who also helps in design and development. What a talented team they make.

When I donated to the Go Fund Me page sponsoring Chad the question was asked, why did I give? My response...it was the least I could do for all the hours of enjoyment Chad's games have given to me and my friends. This seems like a fairly common answer for many of the people who donated, but it got me to thinking how many hours does it actually represent for me.

I have logged 355 plays of Chad Jensen games. At an average of 2 hours each, this totals to approximately 710 hours of gaming time. Looking at a 24 hour day that translates to 29 days of my life have been spent playing Chad's games. Compare this to my most played game, Magic the Gathering, which I have 360 logged plays at an average of about 20 minutes per game. This translates into approximately 120 hours (or 5 days) of gaming time. So, it goes without saying Chad Jensen is clearly one of my favorite game designers.

Enough of my gushing. Get well Chad and keep those wonderful games coming.

• [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Christopher, thank you so much for the kind words. I'm glad my creations have brought you joy in gaming. I have plenty more designs to get to once I beat this nastiness.
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish you a speedy recovery too, Chad. Unlike Christopher, I don't have the days of CC plays under my belt; in fact, I'm typing this at an angle as I've just commandeered the desk to set up for my very first training run through from the rules book. But from all I've read, I'm in for many hours of enjoyment with yours and Kai's brainchild so I'll get some thanks in now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Thank you Chad. My prayers are with you and I wish the best of luck to you and your family. Just wanted you to know that I own the base games and all of the expansions made. It's been by far my favorite war game. While I've only been able to log in around five games face 2 face, I have been extremely lucky to find an extremely friendly group of guys to play with on a regular monthly basis on Vassal. Been playing monthly through every base game and expansion for 3 years now, and we are still going strong with players of all experience levels from all over the world. You've brought a lot of joy to a lot of people with not only Combat Commander, but with all of the great games that you've made.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/1742
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacey Hager
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Actually, I did NOT know this was the case. Thank you for the post, which I will be responding to with a donation. As many have stated, my friends and I have had hours upon hours of enjoyment courtesy of Chad, and many more after the fact talking about how cool his rules and designs are.

We look forward to your forthcoming Rally!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Fibula
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I was about to order a Battle Pack when I saw this post... But it'll have to wait!

Get well soon, Chad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you to all! I logged on this morning to see that Chad has met his goal. Gamers are the most awesome people in the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I was going to buy OverText but I didn't know what to say with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know where to post this and this thread seemed like a great place...

Chad came home for hospice yesterday. The doctors are guessing we get one to four more weeks together. His cancer took a very aggressive turn in October and there is nothing more they can do except help him stay comfortable - which for us meant coming home.

He has always been very grateful that so many of you enjoy the games he loved to create. And I have always loved the fabulous support and camaraderie of the gamers who have found his work.

Thank you all for your support during this difficult year. Your posts, well-wishes, donations, get well cards, and outpouring of love have carried us through to the end game.

Please feel free to spread the word. I don't know where else to post and what little time I have is for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Fibula
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Oh man... Stay strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ginsbu
United States
Teaneck
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I am so sorry to hear that, Kai. My heart goes out to you and Chad. I pray for as much peace and comfort as you can manage in the weeks ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad and Kai, you have given many, many gamers many, many hours of challenging fun and great gaming! I hope and pray you are able to make the most of the time you have been given together. Thank you, both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kai, I am so very sorry to hear this. I hoped and prayed for the opposite outcome. Chad is very much my game design hero, and that means more to me than I can explain. I'm so sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have my deepest condolences. I am so sorry this happened. Thank you Chad for the great games and the great times playing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Owen
United Kingdom
Torpoint
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So sorry to hear this, my thoughts are with you both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Harrigan
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so, so sorry to hear this. You and Chad and your family will be in my thoughts. Wishing you peace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Czerwiec
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stay strong! Chad gave me hundrets of well spent hours with my friends. Wish him all the best from Poland!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moore
United Kingdom
Buckland Monachorum
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
This is the Spitfire of Geoffrey Wellum DFC, the youngest Battle of Britain pilot. 1921-2018. RIP my friend and blue skies forevermore
mbmbmbmbmb
I am so sorry to hear this latest news for you Kai and Chad. I hope that you can take some comfort in knowing that Chad’s accomplishments have touched many people all over the world, giving them great enjoyment and bringing people together with a common interest.
My thoughts are with you both
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Amos
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Sorry to hear that Kai. You guys are in our prayers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My prayers for you Chad and Kai!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Barr
United Kingdom
Ballyclare N.Ireland
Co Antrim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So very sorry to hear this hope his last weeks are peaceful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kalle
Sweden
Uppsala
Europe (Region 1)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad to hear. Played many of his games. His work has a craftsmanship a level above most. Unmatched clarity when it comes to rules writing. Will be missed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Thorson
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I’m so sorry to hear this news. Praying for your family’s comfort in this trying time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Tolman
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who is struggling with cancer of my own, I understand, and I’m sorry to hear Chad is now on hospice. This really touches my heart, and I pray for peace and joy with family in these last weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Hill
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m so sorry to hear the latest about Chad. Hope you both find ways to grace each other in the time you have left. Wishing you both strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m so sorry, Kai. I never had the chance to meet Chad, but I’m sure he is one of the good guys. Love, hugs, and prayers your way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] |