Tournament Fishing: The Deckbuilding Game» Forums » General

Subject: Rules clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Miranda

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmb
In reading the book and watching One Stop Coop Shop video. I am still confused on search phase. I play solo and I know of the clock deck has the search phase “scan lake spot” then o turn a card. What about if I have no cards on hand with search or scan? Do I get 2 free scans no matter what?

Also I saw on video that he shuffled the clock deck. The rule book says put cards in order. Which one is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Designer of Tournament Fishing
mbmbmbmbmb
You only get to Scan via some card effect (such as on the Clock or one played from your hand), not for free.

The solo/coop rules you should read (page 6). They say the only difference between it and the main set up is to shuffle the clock deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

DarkDexter wrote:
I am still confused on search phase. ... What about if I have no cards on hand with search or scan? Do I get 2 free scans no matter what?

Yeah, I speculate that the issue some have (including myself when I first played the game), is with how the phase is named. Many games name their phases based on what the players do during the phase... i.e., the things that can be done are always enabled.

But that's not the case with 'Tournament Fishing'. With TF, the "Search" phase doesn't indicate that you get to scan a Lake Spot, but rather if you are able to scan, then this phase is the time to do it! And there's nothing wrong with that just as long as players understand that you have to possess a "Search" effect card in order to participate in the phase. And quite frankly, the rulebook does make this clear. The opening sentence of the "Search Phase" section (pg 2) pretty much says it all.

Still, as I alluded to above, I too missed this nuance the first time I played. I assumed as the OP that being able to scan a Lake Spot was an automatic action enabled by the phase. I think that it was holding the assumption itself is why I overlooked the actual rule.

I guess the only thing that could've been done differently is to make it just a bit clearer in the rules, such as adding the same wording to the Search Phase section as is found in the Cast Phase section. The opening sentence of the Cast Phase says, "The Cast Phase is optional". If that same wording is used to open the "Search Phase" section, then I think newbies would "get it" a bit sooner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miranda

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmb
Maybe I was rushing the instructions but I read through them once and watched One Stop Coop Shop play. He seemed to be scanning a lake twice almost every turn, now realizing he had cards that allowed him to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.