Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Tokaido» Forums » General

Subject: Where is the skill? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not have the physical game but just downloaded on android.
Can anyone help me understand where the skill lies? It just seems that you leapfrog everyone to the next available space until you get to the end of each stage.......rince and repeat!!
I really want to like this game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think that is the best strategy, I will happily play you and show you the error of your ways.

The strategy forum has several threads already addressing this.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
If you think that is the best strategy, I will happily play you and show you the error of your ways.

The strategy forum has several threads already addressing this.


I will have a look as I have only just started to play. Thanks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Konigsberg
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'll tell you. I think that's a good question. I personally wouldn't play it on Android, and that's because it works as a board game. I like to play it when I'm specifically not looking to compete, but have a fun experience, and that's better when it's on the board, with friends.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmen Cerra
United States
Ames
IA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The strategy is that there is no strategy.
If you enjoy the trip, you'll never lose.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haley
United States
Scappoose
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not really had much fun with the app version. The AI just goes to the next space like you are talking about, even if it is not a good choice for them.

The real strategy is jumping ahead to a spot you really need before another player takes it. If everyone needs to stop at the farm, you might want to jump way ahead so it is yours, otherwise, you might not have enough to eat or spending money to finish a set.

Each character has a specialty to guide you on making the most points. You should try to maximize that power. For example, if you are the painter, you will be able to finish sets faster than anyone else and get the bonus points, unless they block you at every turn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gadgetx wrote:
I have not really had much fun with the app version. The AI just goes to the next space like you are talking about, even if it is not a good choice for them.

The real strategy is jumping ahead to a spot you really need before another player takes it. If everyone needs to stop at the farm, you might want to jump way ahead so it is yours, otherwise, you might not have enough to eat or spending money to finish a set.

Each character has a specialty to guide you on making the most points. You should try to maximize that power. For example, if you are the painter, you will be able to finish sets faster than anyone else and get the bonus points, unless they block you at every turn.


Thanks Mike. Yes it seems so 'boring' on the app, as they do seem to generally go to the next free space then if you miss two or three spaces they have more turns before you move again.
Like I said before, I have never played the board game and just felt with the app you are just going through the motions. Just didn't understand where the skill came in.
Thanks for the comment.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haley
United States
Scappoose
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't let the app and its poor AI kill this game for you.

Try playing it online with no AI or local using pass and play with a friend(s). It is a light but good game once you have someone who can think and plan to fight over spaces.

Just remember to use the character's powers to give you a direction of what spaces you really need.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Gracia
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Are you trying to win or just seeing how the game plays? If you're not trying to win then none of it matters.

If you find it too easy, try Boardgame Arena, play Tokaido for free, and see if you can beat any of the regular human players there. I think the fun part is trying to win against other humans.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
diceman56 wrote:
Gadgetx wrote:
I have not really had much fun with the app version. The AI just goes to the next space like you are talking about, even if it is not a good choice for them.

The real strategy is jumping ahead to a spot you really need before another player takes it. If everyone needs to stop at the farm, you might want to jump way ahead so it is yours, otherwise, you might not have enough to eat or spending money to finish a set.

Each character has a specialty to guide you on making the most points. You should try to maximize that power. For example, if you are the painter, you will be able to finish sets faster than anyone else and get the bonus points, unless they block you at every turn.


Thanks Mike. Yes it seems so 'boring' on the app, as they do seem to generally go to the next free space then if you miss two or three spaces they have more turns before you move again.
Like I said before, I have never played the board game and just felt with the app you are just going through the motions. Just didn't understand where the skill came in.
Thanks for the comment.


First to be fair Tokaido is much better with with first expansion which adds decisions to certain locations on top of the decision of which location to visit.

Having said that, don't judge the game based on the app. The AI isn't exactly very smart and is pretty predictable. Tokaido is a game all about getting resources before other players and hedging your bets on when you need to get a resource to deny a player who needs said resource more than you. This is where the app fails.

Try the real game (with said expansion) before you really judge it. The base game is really more of a fun family game, sure there is strategy but not as much as is obtainable with an expansion.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
diceman56 wrote:
Can anyone help me understand where the skill lies?
In my copy, I found it under the insert. Must've been jostled in transit.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls