Tournament Fishing: The Deckbuilding Game» Forums » General

Subject: Am I even playing this right rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Miranda

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmb
Seems impossible to beat the AI. I have played many times and AI is very overpowered. The few fish I do catch are small because there is not enough rounds to buy better cards. Maybe my opinion but the game seems unbalanced in Solo play.

The AI will always draw 6 fish throughout the tourney and at least 3 fish are usually high weight. But lets say I get lucky and they are low weight, I still have to catch fish myself to even compete. There's been hands where I get no lures and its a wasted round to buy lures. Then next round I may not have a cast card, now there goes 2 rounds not catching a fish. When I do have the Lure and cast and present cards then I have to find a fish in a lake that matches the lure I have. Well sometimes that's a wasted round because I got nothing to match. Lets say I do, then that fish is a low weight because I don't have enough power to go after the 7.8 or 9's. Now the reel phase seems to work against me. Many times I don't have enough cards in hand left to fight the fish because I had to use cards to match it's weight, not to mention the negative effects on clock cards. Now lets say I do have a few cards to fight. I either get a pop or I dont have the color match for the cards. So if everything goes my way I might catch 6 fish to the AI's 6 fish but chances are his are a higher value every time.

I was hoping for a fun solo experience but so far I'm not feeling it.
I have been using the specials to try and mitigate cards special effects and they do seem to help but not enough where it really matters when I need it. The game is a lot more luck based than I thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Robinson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you using official variants? I always use the Event variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Hall
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkDexter wrote:
Seems impossible to beat the AI. I have played many times and AI is very overpowered. The few fish I do catch are small because there is not enough rounds to buy better cards. Maybe my opinion but the game seems unbalanced in Solo play.

I would agree that as the original rules (no official variants) the game is very challenging, but not impossible (I have won 1 out of 9 games )

One question for you, do you have any expansions? If you have Rods and Boats, having the boat and rod card in your starting deck helps a ton as you can be effective more in the early game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Capodiferro
United States
Asheville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkDexter wrote:
Then next round I may not have a cast card, now there goes 2 rounds not catching a fish.

You don't need a Cast card to make a cast. A lure is the only requirement to perform a cast. Initially, I was playing that wrong as well.
This is a very challenging game. I haven't come close to beating the AI yet but I'm getting better and better at recognizing when to buy cards. Especially early in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Designer of Tournament Fishing
mbmbmbmbmb
jcapodiferro wrote:
DarkDexter wrote:
Then next round I may not have a cast card, now there goes 2 rounds not catching a fish.

You don't need a Cast card to make a cast. A lure is the only requirement to perform a cast. Initially, I was playing that wrong as well.
This is a very challenging game. I haven't come close to beating the AI yet but I'm getting better and better at recognizing when to buy cards. Especially early in the game.

This. It sounds like you thought that you need a Cast card in order to perform a cast attempt. But all that is required is a single Lure. The rest is just bonus.

I am pretty sure the game would be impossible to win if you play that way since there is only 1 Cast in your deck (and 8 in the entire Baitshop).

I also suggest using the Official variant where you draw Fight cards for the fish that the AI is supposed to catch. If there are any Pop cards drawn, the AI loses the fish to the bottom of the lake spot.

BTW here is a link to a new Rulebook I made that encompasses all of the expansions, official variants, and has a few sections that are written better.

Deluxe Rulebook

Also I can assure you that it is not impossible to beat the AI as I have about a 40% win rate. Here is a video where I win and also get like 52 points:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miranda

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmb
Ok great Thanks for the tips. I will give a few more go's. I really like the theme. Very quick setup and tear down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.