Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,
recently GMT sent me digital materials to create the official website (https://www.commandsandcolors.net/medieval/)
I've already posted the rules and I am working on scenario layout.
In the meantime I would like to know if you are also interested in a Vassal module...
I think I should know the answer, but I'd like to hear your opinion about the graphic part of it: do you like brand new layout on Ancients v4 vassal module? or do you prefer the previous one?
Is there a C&C vassal game module do you like the most?
Waiting for your feedback.
Best
Ale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
there isn't really a VASSAL module I like best, but a few things I find good or bad;

1. I like the sideboard (for card deck), but narrow width
2. I like the die roller in the main bar (not a separate panel), with different icons up to 7 dice. Could live with separate up to 5d and then a choose number on a pull down menu (like TGW targeting dice)
3. I like the cards to flip as I draw them
4. I like the charts in a separate panel
5. I like the TGW special personnel addition, and think that would work well for Bow Armed (and expandable)
6. I like the terrain to display when I hover over the hex
7. I like the Scenario notes to have just the Command values and Special rules
8. I don't like sound effects
9. I prefer unit strength numbers over block icons
10. I like 1 block with unit strength over multiple blocks in a hex
11. I like good sized unit images
12. I like Cavalry blocks bigger than Infantry, but prefer clear images and LARGE icons.
13. I like the LOS tool, but prefer it snapped to hex centre
14. I'd like walls/ramparts etc. to toggle the effect area
15. I like double click to separate stack and arrows to rearrange
16. I really like Hot Keys
17. I like Movement trails to be different colour to the unit colour
18. I like Attack/Target markers to be different colour to the units
19. I'm ambivalent about button icons. I like when they have a name (e.g. TGW and CCN), but I appreciate that prefers English language speakers. If Icon hover text could be language of choice?
20. Be best to standardise module icons with Ancients.
21. I'd like a larger font for the chat window
22. I prefer the board edge counter (like TGW HQ counter) for Inspired Actions over the CCN card hand counters of Iron Will. Better would be a add/subtract button for the counter (like BattleLore)
23. I prefer the banner/medal track on the top & bottom of the map like CCN, rather than the side panel (like Ancients)
24. I like the terrain display panels of 4x3 images split up into different tabs (common, waterways, roads) and would like a Zoom option in the panel
25. Same with units, Display panels like Tricorne over lists like BattleLore
26. Selection of special markers to designate Victory locations, special areas etc..
27. A reversible banner for terrain objectives (e.g. the Decimum Phase 2 objective)
28. I like the block loss counter

hmm.. seems like a long list now.. sorry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
Mark, good thing that's your short list. I shudder to think what your long list looks like...

I like the reworked Ancients. I'm assuming the CCN will get a similar treatment (ie Map stats and selection)

I really like the block icon look and hope it will be in both CCN and CCM.

I prefer a dice window that persists where one can roll any number of dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The old CC:A module is pretty close to perfect. Different size blocks (as done in the new one) is a plus. The bigger graphics are... nice, but part of what I like with the old CC:A module is that at full size, it fits just about right in my monitor. The icon look of the new module is also nice, so stick with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stayed wrote:
Mark, good thing that's your short list. I shudder to think what your long list looks like...

if you don't ask, you don't get

I accept opinions are like assholes.. and it would appear I have 28.. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel [working on TENNISmind]
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
The new CCA module is great, as close as you can get to the real game experience. So I think it is a good starting point!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the last version of the CCA module seems the natural starting point. Consistency in implementation is also an advantage to people playing both games, that I can anticipate being many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark K.
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a newcomer, I'd also love to see the very good Ancients module serving as a starting point for this game. It's simple and elegant! Besides that, I am having a tough time coming up with suggestions that haven't already been covered above by Mark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,
it's definitely "quite easy" to start from actual CCA v4 module.
Here you can see a really fast preview.
Ale

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice Ale. The only substantial modifications I can envisage are:

- inspired leadership tokens, which can amount to simple counters on the side of the map (see iron will or Spanish superpower tokens in Napoleonics);

- bow/non-bow counters; I don't have any particular suggestion on this but I'd tend to avoid "counters" added to the blocks. They are likely to turn out ugly. One can maybe tell the difference from the name of the unit, like MC or MBC. I'm wondering if this is sufficient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
Poland
Otwock
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I am definitely for the new CCA presentation with three enhancements at least:
- working sound on /sound off button
- significantly less notifications in log section (like it was in v3)
- counter of blocks lost (I would definitely add it also to CC v4) - helps greatly in tournaments

Initial artwork looks great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mk20336 wrote:
Hi,

I am definitely for the new CCA presentation with three enhancements at least:
- counter of blocks lost (I would definitely add it also to CC v4) - helps greatly in tournaments

Initial artwork looks great!

reducing the log notifications would be nice, you know the unnecessary ones (mostly at turn end)

you can replace the Nation designation with a Tournament Nation designation to count block losses. If you Shift-Click on the Nation (e.g. Roman) and then right click, you get a replace with option. I haven't used this yet, since the Open doesn't require it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
g1ul10 wrote:
Very nice Ale. The only substantial modifications I can envisage are:

- inspired leadership tokens, which can amount to simple counters on the side of the map (see iron will or Spanish superpower tokens in Napoleonics);

- bow/non-bow counters; I don't have any particular suggestion on this but I'd tend to avoid "counters" added to the blocks. They are likely to turn out ugly. One can maybe tell the difference from the name of the unit, like MC or MBC. I'm wondering if this is sufficient.

Could you not have an alternate counter graphic for the bow-equipped cavalry that has a noticeable bow icon (or something) in one of the corners or beneath the unit Class icon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just wondering if there will be other (perhaps 1 use) special weapons. Francisca and Darts come to mind, but perhaps also Crossbowmen with Pavisse (or not). Having an icon on the unit (like the CCN icons) are smallish, and we can end up with a proliferation of unit images.

is there an active dislike of the Special Personnel icons?

an example, especially the French

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect adding 2D counters to the 3D image of blocks is likely to create an unpleasant effect but one can certainly try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mk20336 wrote:

I've set the initial value of sound global property to "0" so it now start as disabled.

mk20336 wrote:

I've removed text logs for these actions "attacking unit", "targeting unit", "unit movement".
Please let me know if I have to remove more LOGS.

mk20336 wrote:

In CCA it's actually present (right click on side banner), I can easily put it active as "default"... users can easily ignore that value if they don't mind it.

Ale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
g1ul10 wrote:

Could you not have an alternate counter graphic for the bow-equipped cavalry that has a noticeable bow icon (or something) in one of the corners or beneath the unit Class icon?

Which one do you prefer?
Left or right one?

In this picture you don't see codename letters but they will be present!
Ale

P.S. the problem with left block solution is that "bow overlay" will not be clearly visible on right block (overlapped with unit picture).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
Caesar wrote:
Which one do you prefer?
Left or right one?

In this picture you don't see codename letters but they will be present!
Ale

P.S. the problem with left block solution is that "bow overlay" will not be clearly visible on right block (overlapped with unit picture).

I like the bow icon on the left but it would be obscured, as you say, when a Leader was present.

Would it be possible to place this bow icon on the right middle (between the block number lower right and the unit type symbol upper right)?

I usually hide block numbers and show block icons.

An another option might be to use a heavy (thick) black outline around the unit image itself. In the examples above, the left would replace the thick purple outline used while the right would replace the tan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try simplifying the bow to a black symbol and shrinking it, then put it adjacent to the unit symbol. (Yeah, easy for me to say. Alternatively, try just an arrow symbol at that size, maybe pointing up 45 degrees.)

No idea if there's unit illos that will interfere with that position, but being able to look at the symbol and think 'ah, heavy cavalry', and then also note that they're bow-armed by the symbol next to where you're looking would be good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something like these?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
Caesar wrote:
Something like these?

Left side ME LIKE!!!! thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

Either will do. Very nice...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of to the left of the symbol instead of under, but either works (and under is probably more likely to be clear), but otherwise, exactly like that. Maybe a little smaller and closer, but that's details.

Definitely like the bow better than the circled arrowhead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stayed wrote:
Caesar wrote:
Something like these?

Left side ME LIKE!!!! thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

Either will do. Very nice...

Yes! I do prefer the one on the left between the two. The right one does stand out better, but takes up more room and the icon could be confused for a spear, IMO.

Maybe... Left icon in a white circle but no black stroke around it? Otherwise, the left one as-is. Again, JMOO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Ale. I think this is the right direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
another try... smaller icon with white circle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.