United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
West Mids
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Overview
Alphabet Runner is a word game where players make up words from cards they are dealt. Later in the game you might have to use letters from others players cards. The game is played as a race where you move as many spaces as you made words and the first to complete the race wins.

Age range
This game can be played by anyone who can read and spell. So simple version may be played with 5 or 6 year olds. Generally it is designed for 8+ year olds.

Players
2 to 4 players

The Game
IN the box you get a game board. Each of the 4 edges has a player area with space for 5 cards each. In front of the card area are three circles each with four quadrants in. These are used in scoring the game. The center of the board is occupied by a spiralling track. It ends in a space which is the Silver Area and leads to a Gold area. There us a minute timer. There are a pack of alphabet cards each with 2 letters on except 2 cards with have 1 letter on.

Game Play
IN a turn cards are dealt to the player areas so each player gets 5 cards. The turner is turned. The players now make up as many 3 , 4 and 5 letter words as they are able upto 4 of each. You use a marker pawn for each word and put them in the circles. When time runs out players announce the words and show they can spell them from the letters they have and move 1 space on the track for each word.

The cards are cleared away and re-dealt and a new turn begins.

You carry on over a few turns until one or more reaches the silver zone. Then to win the game the player must complete one 6 letter word.

That is the basic game. There are additional depths to the game play added in tournament modes. In these you have to make up words using a card from others players sets as well as your own. So you can score for eg 1 four letter word with your own cards, one using yours and 1 of Yellow players cards, one with yours and 1 of blue players and finally one using yours and 1 of red's .

Opinion and Conclusions
Alphabet runner is a word game. So if you like word games you might like this. If you don't you might not.

It clearly has educational value and is aimed and pitched at schools, families and parents who want to help with children's spelling.

It is not a deep strategy game. We play this at my daughters school games club and ran a tournament in it at UK games Expo and that went well. We don't play it at my evening games club because word games are not popular there.

I should add to clarify other interests that Alphabet Runner exhibited at my UK Games Expo and we did award it Best New Family Game because of its role in educational market and also being popular with parents wanting a game that did have educational value.

So this is NOT a gamer's game. I can't see it doing well atEssen. BUT it could do well on the shelves of Woolworths or WH Smith - or choose your national equivalent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I adore wordgames.

I played Alphabet Runner maybe twice.

I can't bring myself to play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony bacciochi
England
flag msg tools
I have a six year old daughter who plays this game with her school friends and has done for about twelve months and has shown a great improvement in her school work. I feel that this game has contributed to this and so do parents of others in her class. I agree that the rules are a bit basic, but for young children i feel that they are just about right as if any more difficult then they would not play.

When I have friends round to play we make up our own rules to make it more difficult and challenging. There are a number of ways to do this, for example you could change number of letters in the words from 3,4,5 to 5,6,7 or by writing down your words and adding the score from each letter and by giving the person with the highest score the points to move round the board.

I also play with my daughter where I used harder rules and she plays the basic so that we can both play together at our own level of difficulty and still have a challenging game in which either can win. This make her more determined to win and try harder. I would recommend this game to all parents and watch how your child develops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark hughes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I agree with Anthony, i play with my kids, they find it fun and it keeps them occupied, they've taken it to school at end of term play days, and the rest their friends enjoyed it.
COI - I own one of the games
Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasib Khan
United Kingdom
Birmingham
Birmingham
flag msg tools
designer
Geosphere wrote:
I adore wordgames.

I played Alphabet Runner maybe twice.

I can't bring myself to play again.

Update January 2010:

Website statistics are 128,000 free downloads from all over the world and not a single negative comment.

People are too busy enjoying the game and its long term benefit with literacy and maths.

Jan/Feb rolling month statistics are 53% is from the USA, 17% UK and 19% from Europe.
Free print and play for a limited period only. www.CANNYWordGame.com

It’s more than just a game, it’s a battle of wits where imaginations are fired and words are the weapons of choice.

Objective: Try to obtain good cards and then try to create the longest word or the word with highest points.

Are you a CANNY player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.