Greater London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
NewSpeak, Coming to Kickstarter 23rd January 2018
badge
What's your reality?
mbmbmbmbmb
If we were to release another expansion module for Sub Terra, what would people like to see?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sylvester
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
mb
I'd like some new hazard variety but I really enjoy how the core game plays as is. The equipment is nice with the expansions as is the additional player roles. Honestly that is how we mostly play: equipment if that role is selected and any of the expansion roles with the base rules.

So summary I suppose:

New hazards that can get swapped in
New roles
(May be a stretch) new tiles that have 'interesting' connections such as an over and underpass. There's no guarantee they'd ever link to anything but would be cool when they did (a la Carcassonne)
Not sure if there'd be any new actions that wouldn't break the game, but maybe they're tied into mitigating cave-ins, gas, etc like the exterminator does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I'm not super-familiar with the expansion content (I'm having a lot of difficulty getting my hands on it), so if this already exists I apologize...

...I'd like something to do when one or more characters are knocked out for more than a round. I love the narrative experience of the game, watching the survival-horror scenario unfold. But, when new players run off on their own despite warnings, get knocked out, and can't be revived for 4+ rounds, it'd be nice if there's something to do. Likewise, during the mad-dash to the exit once it's uncovered I've seen many players knocked out and not able to be revived, myself included... Something to do while other characters are still up and running would be great.

Sorry I can't be more specific than that.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Serious is serious.
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’d LOVE any new content, it’s one of my favorite games!

I enjoy the equipment cards in the Investigation expansion, but they don’t present themselves as often as I would like and I feel these types of things should be earned instead of just finding them. I’d really enjoy expanding on the survival aspect by introducing a rudimentary crafting system. It could be cool to add Scavenge and Build actions with a small deck of resource cards. Players could choose to risk wasting valuable time searching for resources to boost their character. These items could go together to restore health, remove injury cards (see below) make weapons, add armor, or even just end up being completely useless.

To embellish on taking damage, there could be an injury deck that a player could draw from instead (Twisted Ankle: cannot use run action; Broken Wrist: -1 health, must make skill check to Dig; Heavy Bleeding -1 on skill check rolls for exertion, etc) that they would need to overcome.

I feel the horrors and leapers could benefit with having trait tiles that one could randomly draw from at the beginning of the game. One or two positive (Keen Senses +2 range; Large Fins: ignores and skips over Flood tiles, Web-Crafter: lay trap tokens; Many-Legged: +1 Speed) and 1 weakness/ buff with a drawback that can be exploited: (Gigantic: cannot enter Squeeze tiles; Heavy Body: remove if it enters a Flood Tile; Soft Belly: remove or take damage over rough terrain).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Heffernan
Australia
flag msg tools
I would like to see semi co op or hidden traitor as an optional play mode to mix things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Slater
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love new ways to stop the horrors. Like maybe the Climber could set some sort of rope trap to stop the horror? Or isn't there a character with explosives/dynamite? Maybe they could kill a horror with their dynamite? Or some other ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Andrews
Wales
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Something plot based with Erebus maybe? A mini campaign? I also like Valcurdra's suggestion about a hidden traitor mechanic. Perhaps some kind of infection used in some way, cards slowly turning the cavers into horrors. Mix that with hidden traitor esque mechanics? How's about a special deck to allow playing the horrors in some way, collectig a resource (maybe just a hand of cards) to influnce the Event deck and thereby herding the cavers?

So many ideas, it's a great game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toma Putere
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A campaign would be nice. A story to follow, characters to be rescued, rare stones to be found.
The characters could have a primitive camp, repair items, equip for the next mission, level up some gear.

I would like to see more ways of manipulating the cave’s environment. Maybe the gas spreads and can also kill horrors, heroes could have gas masks.
Another idea is to have a way to get back easier trough an already discovered path. Maybe the cavers mark all the dangers and going back on the same path is not that dangerous anymore.

Use of light could be better defined. Add a second type of horrors that are afraid of light, but sometime, for a turn or two a caver can have a faulty lantern.

Anyway, I love the game! It’s hard to think of new things, because I find it to be well balanced as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carpenter
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think it would be nice to see a mission book or just simply a character expansion. The campaign idea is awesome, but even just a book of scenarios that change the win conditions would be great. I know this isn't impossible to do at home, especially with the current expansions addressing this to a degree, but professionally designed win conditions would be nice.

I would love to see more characters. The excitement of the game (for me) is utilizing each character's ability within the chosen team in the most efficient way so having even more opportunity to do so would be a ton of fun.

Special Ability Ideas:
- A caver that can explore two tiles with one action OR three tiles with both actions (much like the run action). I don't mean both options to be available on the character board; just one or the other.

- A caver that can "drag/carry" an unconscious caver for one action so that he or she can move an unconscious caver from a dangerous tile. This may seem situational and it may very well be just that, but there are times when a caver is down on a hazard tile and your caver's actions and health just don't allow you to get to the caver, heal them, and move out of the hazard tile safely. Again, some professional input and design on that would obviously be much better than my understanding.

- A caver that can "stabilize" a cave-in tile. So, I realize this isn't exactly thematic if look at it as literally stabilizing the cave. What I mean is that the caver is able to determine that the dangerous area is not going to collapse. This could be done with tokens like the Exterminator, The Engineer, or The Mercenary.

- A caver that can survive an encounter with a horror by taking damage but eliminating the horror, much like the way the leaper operates.

- A caver that can assist one other caver on the team. The caver that the assistant can help can be determined by the player and designated with a marker that matches the color of the character the assistant is helping that game. The assistant or the character they are helping can have a third action each round (only on the assistant's turn) if the characters share the same tile. So, assuming the characters are on the same tile the assistant can give the character a free "1" action action or take a third action of their own without having to exert. There's probably a better way to implement that idea; just throwing the idea out there.

- A caver that move through any wall that is dividing two adjacent tiles. Thematically this could be something like a "tight squeeze through a secret tunnel".

**These may be terrible ideas or may need some polishing (obviously) to work well in-game, but I thought I would throw some ideas out there! REALLY hope to see more content for Sub Terra. I love this game!

Thanks!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delia Volpi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi
I have just preordered (hoping to find a copy I will have the confirm tomorrow) and perhaps it is a bit premature to speak about another expansion...

I am not sure what it is inside...but is there something about waterfalls? I would like something with waterfalls, rivers with rapids and a lake with water monsters, cursed gems chambers, pits... (perhaps they are already there I have no idea), stalactites which can fall...I think more different tiles with cave aspects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Pugh
United Kingdom
LEEDS
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Veero wrote:

...I'd like something to do when one or more characters are knocked out for more than a round. I love the narrative experience of the game, watching the survival-horror scenario unfold. But, when new players run off on their own despite warnings, get knocked out, and can't be revived for 4+ rounds, it'd be nice if there's something to do. Likewise, during the mad-dash to the exit once it's uncovered I've seen many players knocked out and not able to be revived, myself included... Something to do while other characters are still up and running would be great.

Sorry I can't be more specific than that.

~V

There are a few threads about house rules for exactly this kind of thing! Also, if I recall correctly, they have implemented something in Sub Terra 2 - I got the impression from our game runner at UKGE that a lot of people have come up with their own way of doing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Pugh
United Kingdom
LEEDS
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd quite like to see an expansion that simply added to the base game but without the additional set-up - you can incorporate the Exterminator character into the base game quite easily, but the other two not so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.