9 Posts

Tokaido» Forums » General

Subject: What do you think about this game after several playthrough? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Delia Volpi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a very mixed feeling about Tokaido.
I played it only two times. I really love the artwork and the theme. It was very relaxing. It is true it can be cut-throat. However I felt it was missing something. I checked Crossroads, but I am not sure I like what it does..My impression is that it can become boring without something additional, but Crossroads introduce e.g. a die whose concept I am not fond of (it is not a moral judgement, I do not like this luck factor).
There is something that attracts me and I would like to add it to the collection, but there is something that tells me no...
What do you think?
Especially if you played it a lot you can say something better than me.
I like heavier boardgames e.g. Terra Mystica, Ghost stories, Tzolkin, Agricola, Power Grid, Heaven&Ale, but also Eldritch horror, Nemesis, Arkham horror LCG, Azul, Unearth, Valley of the kings..Claim, The pursuit of happiness, Konja, Tiny epic zombies/Tiny epic quests, Red7,Onirim...I have a pretty broad range.

I was not so fond of Takenoko. The artwork was amazing...but the gameplay was a bit limited for me..I played more Takenoko than Tokaido.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main thing that Tokaido: Crossroads does is add choice. Each location now has 2 options and it's up to the player to choose which is better for them at the time.

The die only applies when you visit one of the location types (the farm) and gives you the option of gambling for a greater reward than the default 3 coins you can receive there. It's entirely optional to you whether risk it.

That said, I don't always play Tokaido with Crossroads, sometimes I prefer the less stressful base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Posa
United States
Lebanon
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you said you like heavier games, I would venture a guess and say you will be disappointed with Tokaido. It is a bit on the light side, and there's a pretty limited range of decisions you'll make throughout the game. It is a pretty game, but I feel like you'll grow tired of it before too long.

I always use it as an "entry-level" for non-gamers or kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kanngiesser
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokaido is one of those games you play when you've finished a long 'heavy' game or you're just mentally tired. It's a beautiful palate cleanser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mal Hobbs
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like all of us, I guess we often choose games based on what the people we play games with will like. As a recognised Gateway game Tokaido has all the necessary attributes for new and casual gamers, but with an extended number of plays more nuanced decisions than at first it might appear (but that has been debated already here). Crossroads attempts to make Tokaido more of a gamer's game, and it does to an extent, but not to the level of the games you say you prefer. And IMHO, whilst I still enjoy Crossroads, it takes away from the 'pureness' of the base game. Matsuri simply adds content and randomness to the game play. Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can suspect that when people get really good at this game, they can have it "solved". As a game for the shorter term, it's nice. I'm glad I played this game a few times, then spent $5 on the digital game for Android, then played the hell out of it over the course of a week. Even though I have no desire to play the base game again (boxed or digitl version), I'd jump on the game again if I could try the expansion (again, boxed or digital).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McDowell
United States
Fountain Inn
SOUTH CAROLINA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love this game! There is a lot of strategy involved once you start using crossroads. I only play the base game when teaching people and then play again with the crossroads expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a great game, my wife loves it
just a joy to play, not heavy, but a fun experience
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delia Volpi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments.
I will think about it..
It is a charming game, but I am not sure to be interested to have it in long terms..
The others in my group detest it. I am the only one who found it attractive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls