Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mark coomey
New Zealand
AUCKLAND
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent an eternity painting my Battle Cry figures...Has anyone painted their M44 figures yet? Anyone planning to?
Please post photos, and any tips.

wiz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:painting these figures
I'm waiting to pull down one more set before I do that.

I'm also considering using my sizable backlog of Axis & Allies parts to do armies in 6mm. It's not the ideal 10mm-15mm setups that others are considering doing, but I think that a nice set with plenty of pieces and terrain can be built inexpensively this way.

I'll post anything I put together.

As for tips with the original pieces:

1. Wash pieces in soapy water.

2. Spraypaint in black (or white) using auto primer.
2.1. If spraypianted black, drybrush white

3. Paint as you wish using arylic paints.
3.1. Drybrush in lighter shades if you wish.

4. Spray on 3 coats of acrylic matte sealer. Allow thorough drying between coats.

5. You may wish to also apply a coat or two using some watered-down white glue. (Don't let it pool.) This will form a shell around the pieces so that they will flex a bit without cracking.
5.1 If they appear a bit shiney. Hit them again with the acrylic matte sealer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that some of the appeal is playing with green plastic army guys like the ones we played with as kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey!
Has anyone come up with a variant that uses firecrackers to blow things up? That would be nifty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yer just itchin' for a lawsuit to fall on somebody's head, ain'tcha? laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Clark
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just received my copy of Memoir '44 and first thing I did was check out the playing pieces. I do a fair bit of miniature wargaming and have a hard time playing games with unpainted miniatures. Something about it scream heresy to my perfectionist nature. Although I'm really torn about painting these playing pieces.

Here are a few of my thoughts on the subject.

- Painted miniatures look great, even if we're talking 3 simple colors. There isn't any need to do anything fancy, washes, highlights, etc. unless you really are a fanatic.

- The soft flexible plastic is giving me fits. I can foresee problems with a piece flexing and paint flaking off. I don't want to spend hours painting these buggers only to have the paint flake away. Anyone have any experience painting soft/flexible plastic models? This is something I've never painted / gamed with before.

- There are some mold / flash lines on the pieces. An x-acto knife doesn't see to clean these up easily, difficult for even a sharp blade to bite the plastic. I quickly gave up and realized if I was to paint these then the mold lines would have to stay.

- Painting, wash the pieces in warm soapy water and dry allow to dry completely. Spray primer, olive drab for the US and field gray for the Germans. Paint on hands and face with basic flesh tone, pick out weapons and equipment with brown or black, wash the figures with standard Magic Wash (see http://www.paintingclinic.com/clinic/guestarticles/magicwash...) or Min Wax Dip (see http://www-personal.umich.edu/~beattie/dip.html). The armor and the artillery would paint even faster than the infantry as they are really just a single color, olive drab or gray. Seal with spray gloss coat followed by spray matt coat.

- Storage is a problem too for the painted figures. You wouldn't want to just throw these painted figures into the box now would you. The painted miniatures would have to be stored in a separate box.

- Basing, I think that maybe each piece should go on a steel or magnetic base. Then the individual pieces would be mounted to a unit steel or magnetic base. This would make moving the pieces around a bit easier. Might be a bit tough on the board hexes.

- Looks like the tanks would scale well with other 10mm WWII miniature lines, so perhaps these could see cross duty.

- Not wild about the barb wire, but this can be modeled easily. Again a separate box to store your creations.

So as you can see there are some drawbacks to taking the time to paint these playing pieces (soft plastic flexes and could cause damage to paint and storage would be an added difficulty). However the actual painting would be fairly quick and easy. Argh! I'm torn . . . - A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Felker
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wizardless (#40188),

I just painted my Axis pieces last night.

I primed with black paint and then painted them with Avocado Green, which has a shimmery gold/green kind of color.

I'm not goint to detail them, cause I want to just be able to look at the board and see gold/green and grey/silver/blue.

My idea was to just bring out the details of the mini. The barb wire looks SO much better now that it has shadows in it.

My Allieds are primed and ready to be painted tonight!

I didn't wash in soapy water, I hope that's not a big deal... but I do plan on sealing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Felker
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aww man, the pieces were looking great until I decided to use the sealer,

the tanks look fine, but for some reason, some of the infantry look like they were snowed on, washing out some of the color.

I hope it comes off.

I didn't think it was too humid outside, but I do live in the deep south, so humidity is a relative thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.