Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristof Tersago
Belgium
Sint Truiden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first played this game, I thought it was slow and the bidding was fairly uninteresting. So we decide to spice things up and bid for two animals at the same time (I.e. turn two cards and bid for the combo).

The game went faster and the bidding and bluffing was pretty serious. In the end, the animals were distributed amongst all players so the bidding between players lasted longer and again was more interesting.

A variant I would like to recommend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ron lee)
United States
baton rouge
Louisiana
flag msg tools
I will add my recommendation for this approach. It seems like the perfect solution!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Like many others, I've thought that this game went on too long for what it is. The variant suggested above solves the problem nicely, without detracting from the game-play.

We now play with the following rules, to speed up the game to an appropriate playing time:
1. start with four animals each (determined randomly, or if you want to eliminate luck: a chicken, a goose, a cat and a dog, as suggested here).
2. auction two animals at a time.

With the shorter and more appropriate playing time using these house rules, I expect we'll be playing this a lot more often than we have been up to now. Fun game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
How do the cattle trades work using the above variant rules?
I presume people are bidding for the pair of animals together?
With the variant rules how long does the game take to play (or the range of game laength please)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished my first game playing You're Bluffing and we used EndersGame suggested variants. We enjoyed the game a lot, even though a 3-person game and bidding games often are weak with only 3.

As for how the variants work with the Cattle Trade, I think the answer is they don't. The active auctioneer has 2 choices -- a regular auction (now with 2 animals not 1) or a Cattle Trade for one type of animal. At least that's the way we played and it worked well.

The game took about 30-40 minutes and that included a quick explanation of the rules and some rule checking as we played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Musti wrote:
So we decide to spice things up and bid for two animals at the same time (I.e. turn two cards and bid for the combo).

The above suggestion was first posted in June 2004, and it's worth mentioning that it later became part of the official rules. According to another BGG user, the 2005 German Ravensburger edition lists this variant in the rulebook as a suggestion for shortening the game (replacing the variant from the earlier 2002 edition which had players begin with four animals each).

Given that it's now an official variant, one can only wonder if the publisher/designer got the idea from right here on BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dirk jäckel
msg tools
I wonder if there are still active players for this game?
because i´ll starting to write my thesis on this game and i´ll found an implementation for a netbased multiplayer without AI in wich i´ll integrate the AI.
therefore i could use some suggestions, discussions on several themes like rules, strategie and handling of the existing solutions

if u r interested please contact me under KUHHANDEL ad djdeejay dot com

regards

dirk deejay jäckel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EndersGame wrote:
Musti wrote:
So we decide to spice things up and bid for two animals at the same time (I.e. turn two cards and bid for the combo).
The above suggestion was first posted in June 2004, and it's worth mentioning that it later became part of the official rules. According to another BGG user, the 2005 German Ravensburger edition lists this variant in the rulebook as a suggestion for shortening the game (replacing the variant from the earlier 2002 edition which had players begin with four animals each).

Given that it's now an official variant, one can only wonder if the publisher/designer got the idea from right here on BGG!

The 1998 FX Schmidt version (german) already includes this two animal variant. So it predates the variant in the english edition, and the discussion on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kandell
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wyldeoak wrote:
As for how the variants work with the Cattle Trade, I think the answer is they don't. The active auctioneer has 2 choices -- a regular auction (now with 2 animals not 1) or a Cattle Trade for one type of animal. At least that's the way we played and it worked well.

The other important rule to follow is that cattle trades need to be for a pair of an animal if both players own a pair each. Only if one player holds one of an animal does horse trading limited to one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.