Subject: Games with level editors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd make a GL out of this, but it seems the General and Hot Deals forums are the only areas of VGG that still have life in them :\

Did you make levels with them?

Did you try others' creations?

Did others play yours?

What games?

Me... StarCraft 1 & 2. For Sc1, played a lot of custom maps for Melee mode (regular game) vs. AI. Then a lot of Used Map Settings (where you can do various triggers to create more unique games and conditions). This continued with Sc2 until I quit, and now only do Coop mode (official mode by Blizzard), NOT on my home PC/Win

I've played various Famicom games with these, but I'll need to see if I can recall these, let alone needing time.

Lode Runner and Bomberman for NES/Famicom

Bike Or Die for Palm OS/Windows Mobile
Mulg IIc (Marble Madness clone) for Palm OS

Actually... the only ones above I created were Lode RUnner and Bomberman. Everything else was playing user submitted content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a lot more into level editing back in the 90's. I used to make levels for Quake 2 and 3, Duke Nukem 3D, Tribes, and some others.

I made a decent amount of maps for various Warcraft and Starcraft games as well I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Roth
Germany
Wistedt
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the first level editor that I made contact with, was the racing game Stunts.

After that I often tried my hands on the Duke Nukem 3D one, but I never managed to fully finish a map as live often interfered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ooops
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
I'm not sure if it's on the right side of the level editor/mod divide, but the only example that comes to mind is I played some extensive fan-made levels/modifications of Portal 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the track editors in the TrackMania games. Like Marius, I spent my fair share of time with Stunts. Discovering the TrackMania games, especially the "platform" mode some of them have, was like finding the spiritual successor to Stunts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I’ve made some Infinifactory levels. I quite enjoyed it. I also made a level for Action Henk.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/wizcreations/myworkshopfiles/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy making stuff for games, but I don't feel like I really have the time to do it at this stage in my life.

I've spent a LOT of time in the Descent level editor, making levels for Descent and Descent II. I also had a lot of fun making levels for StarCraft: Brood War, Abuse, Command & Conquer: Red Alert, and Empire Earth.

I also made stuff, but nothing really substantial, with the level editors for a bunch of other games, including Star Trek: Armada, Doom (1993), Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, HλLF-LIFE, Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness, BattleBlock Theater, and Warcraft III: Battle Chest.

I have also made some stuff in Mega Man Maker, but in this case, the level editor is basically the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
You should really buy it!
badge
CenturyEasternSalsa
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a lot of stuff in Super Mario Maker on my 2DS. It was really fun, hence my hype of Super Mario Maker 2. I like the fact that you can download and play levels.

I also played (too much) Minecraft, if you consider that a level editor. I'm OK at building, but not a master.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember I started with warcraft 2. I was smart enough to use it but not smart enough to do it well.
AoE2 I remember making maps that my friends and I played on. Nothing fancy just very specific like making a map that forced teamwork the best I could.

Timesplitter 2. I remember this as I could actually make decent maps at that point.

Portal I think was my most recent one. not much because when it came out my portal buddies were moving on to other stuff, but my dad got a kick out of them.

I feel like there was more. I like creating in this way but it rarely pays off enough for me to share and its been a while since I've had regular gaming buddies for the games I'm willing to create content on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Neverwinter Nights (2002) not only had a level editor to build places, but a dialogue editor to create quests. I wish I had played around with it more.

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind – Game of the Year Edition had the set editor where you could build your own cities. I also wish I had spent more time with that.

Halo (Core Series) had a level editor. At work when we weren't testing the game, we'd build levels for warthog racing in the editor, or maps for team vs team combat. Which was fun.

One of my regrets is that I haven't spent more time playing around in level editors, since that would certainly have helped me get some level design jobs... but on the other hand, I prefer to build my own games free from other IPs...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the only level editors I have used are from Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 and LittleBIGPlanet. I was never really the best designer, but I had fun with them, for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I remember making custom levels in the old NES game Excitebike. My brothers and I played those creations. Of course it was before games were compatible with the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Hill
United States
The Republic of Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive been interested in Shadowrun and D&D Unlimited Adventures before but never bit the bullet. What I really wanted was a Wizardry or Dungeon Master type game editor to do the genre in Cyberpunk.

I hope to see in my lifetime robust game editors that can be used without typing a word. Carnage Heart came out in '96 and Ive never seen its slot AI decision board repeated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.