Puerto Rico» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Snatching Defeat From the Jaws of Victory rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Avri Balofsky
Beit Shemesh
flag msg tools
Players: Avri, Gavriel, Mory , Richie

Preamble: For the past three times I've played PR my coffee has been shipped. I'm just not careful enough I suppose. It's a conspiracy. Stupid coffee.

Richie showed up just in time to join in for a game of PR that he was excited to play. I explained the game to Mory and Gavriel and offered advice as we went to smooth over their first game. Mory was first and we advised him to take a quarry. Richie took a coffee, Gavriel had tobacco, and I took a coffee. All through the game Richie played to keep other players in check (mainly me), he hurt his own position sometimes, but kept others from running away with the game. Gavriel sold an early tobacco after my coffee was sent away on a boat and he was able to build an early factory. I was shipping coffee and corn mainly and I was able to pick up a harbor to help out. Mory picked up the second factory a little later, and Richie who was short on cash the entire game chose to buy a tobacco storage to try and produce a cash crop instead of waiting to take a wharf for shipping all his indigo. I don't think he ever got to sell a tobacco though.

Then I made a mistake that probably cost me the game when I built the custom house instead of the wharf. I was sitting on 4 corn plantations at the time, and the boats were empty. I thought the game would end soon enough that the wharf wouldn't be as neccessary and the custom house would do better for me. I was mistaken and there was quite a bit more shipping to be done and I spoiled a lot of corn, especially after I picked up a 5th corn plantation too. I wasn't able to pick up a small warehouse either. I still managed to end up with two big buildings (City Hall) though after I was finally able to sell a coffee towards the end of the game. Gavriel picked up a fortress, Richie got the residence to go with his hacienda, and Mory got the Guild Hall almost maxed out. He would have scored the maximum for it, but I picked up the last large indigo plant in the last building round to cut him off. Even with an early harbor and two big buildings, Gavriel's earlier factory propelled him to victory, as he was almost never cut out of shipping, and had the most building points.

Final Scores: Gavriel 65, Avri 63, Mory 55, Richie 40

The game took a lot longer than it should have and we ended after 12:30. It was good fun though.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.